Southern's band director asked for kickbacks

JukeBox or JukeBank

Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 9:02 am | Updated: 9:04 am, Tue Mar 20, 2018.

Laniya Spencer/DIGEST | 0 comments

Last week, a report surfaced that a lawsuit was filed against Southern University, its band director, Nathan Haymer, and several other campus officials.

SU’s Board of Supervisors, the SU Foundation, Tracie Woods, M. Christopher Brown, II, and Ronyelle Richard were also named as defendants within the case.

Octagon Media sued the university, asking to be reimbursed after having to pay out refunds when the band allegedly failed to appear at key events.

The lawsuit specifically states that Miranda White, owner of Octagon Media, claimed she was approached by Nathan Haymer in regards to organizing an event for the purpose of improving Southern’s reputation and luring in prospect students.

Under the impression that Haymer had the authority to contractually bind Southern University with this event, White immediately began planning, in which she arranged for food, beverages, promotional items, ushers, advertising, venues, traffic control, campus police, EMS, and equipment.

2,306 tickets were sold for the ‘Jukefest’, which was to be held on November 5, 2015.

White claimed that on October 25, 2015, ten days before the event was to occur, Nathan Haymer sent text messages expressing his desires to be compensated ten percent of any proceeds from the event.

In addition, he allegedly requested that she hide this percentage charge from her business.

After denying his requests, Haymer immediately began to back out of the already organized ‘Jukefest’, and for the first time admitted that he really had no authority to hold Southern University to the contractual terms. He also posted cancellation notices on social media.

When asked about the accusations made against him, Haymer was very cooperative, stating that due to personal problems, he was not in attendance, but the band and his assistants were at the event.

He also mentioned that this lawsuit is only backlash from a certain woman pursuing interest in him, but the feelings were not mutual, which is why this 2015 incident is now re-emerging in 2018.

He also denied ever sending the text messages to White. He then concluded his statement saying, “When you’re in a high profile position, you’ll be targeted, and I’m being targeted behind personal stuff … I want the students to know that I’m a transparent and stand up guy. I’m very blunt. I’m very hard on my students. I’m not the nicest all the time, but I am not dishonest. We were supposed to make at best $6000 at the fundraiser, so if I’m asking for 10 percent, text messages I didn’t send, that’s $600 dollars.”

http://www.southerndigest.com/gallery/article_49f95820-2c47-11e8-938d-07c9ec11892f.html

I see the JSU folk are still gossiping about another man's personal life. I wish I would spend more than .00001 second of my day obsessing over another man's sexuality.

Dude, quit trying to divert. This is PUBLIC knowledge where anyone can issue his own opinion.
Blame the possible culprit named Haymer for making another dumb, stupid goof-up.
the-hit-dog.jpg

LOL....yall got me trippin....man this is about somebody screwing one of them college cuties and the other dude got mad. do I believe Hayner took kickbacks...yes. Do I believe it happens everywhere yes including GSU.

I personally believe Band directors should get a percentage of what they book. Hell if they book a $50k gig then they should be entitled to $1500 or something. Geez....

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
icon_idiot.gif
icon_lol.gif
An idiot for promoting the Wind Ensemble's performance in Atlanta? Who knew it was dumb to promote your band's performances.........

You're right. Haymer seems to do what he wants and with no consequences.
This will surely come back and haunt the school in due time.[/QUOTE

You guys don’t have a clue about this entire story, as you shouldn’t. The university has handled this situation accordingly. And trust me, If it were true he would be gone.

Back