It appears that Mo'Nique was right all along

Status
Not open for further replies.

They not paying them based on bringing in subscribers...it would be the number of folks already subscribed already who is watching to determine IMO. They paid Deray Davis $5 million...and I've passed his special too many times when looking for comedy acts...I didn't even know who he was...

They not paying them based on bringing in subscribers...it would be the number of folks already subscribed already who is watching to determine IMO. They paid Deray Davis $5 million...and I've passed his special too many times when looking for comedy acts...I didn't even know who he was...
Not bringing in but retaining and having an audience. Go look at their social media followers... Deray got over 850k, Monique got 219k, Amy got 6.5m

Dave got lesser followers but is seen as a comedy legend. I don't think Monique can make a market based argument about why she should be getting millions. I wouldn't have given her that or Deray that $5 million to be honest. Dave and Chris Rock were smart investments.

About what? What's her market value? I'm sorry, i don't think she brings in that many new subscribers.

Wanda also.

If you are using that social media count as a measuring stick, you are playing right into their narrative.

There is no way anyone with a straight face can sit up and tell me that Wanda Sykes is worth 250K whether she is in demand or not. No way they would offer than to a white comedienne/comedian

Her husband is hurting her as her manager. We all know that.

That has nothing to do with the pay disparity and low balling being done by Netflix. If you wanna say that Mo'Nique is being "difficult" then what's the excuse for lowballing Wanda Sykes?

If you are using that social media count as a measuring stick, you are playing right into their narrative.

There is no way anyone with a straight face can sit up and tell me that Wanda Sykes is worth 250K whether she is in demand or not. No way they would offer than to a white comedienne/comedian

Her husband is hurting her as her manager. We all know that.

That has nothing to do with the pay disparity and low balling being done by Netflix. If you wanna say that Mo'Nique is being "difficult" then what's the excuse for lowballing Wanda Sykes?
Wanda is more valid than Monique... This argument reminds me of when I hear people complaining about they didn't get more money for having a master's degree or phd. None of that stuff matters. How much money can you help the company bring in or keep?

Dave Chappelle got 20 million because apparently, they thought it was a good investment.

I'm sorry, but I like Mo but this was a business deal. Not racist. Amy is no where as funny as Mo, but she will make Netflix way more money. She get the white folks who will pay and the cross over other minorities. Mo will bring the black only crowd. Something is about money. Plus Mo had gotten a bad rep for her attitude. Hollywood is messy and sometimes you gotta work your way back to the top. Just saying....

Mo'Nique needs new representation.

This is true as well.

You can separate the two issues though.

Her husband is costing her coin as her manager but that doesn't mean she was wrong to call out Netflix. You can call her out for some of her antics but that doesn't mean she was wrong to point out the way she was lowballed antics or not.

I mean it’s not Iike Netflix isn’t planning to invest $8 billion in content this year.

There is something to be said about her and Wanda — more acclaimed entertainers (one an Oscar winner) —- getting not even close to the offers that DeRay received.

Awards don't mean anything in 2018. If she wants to make an argument, show the number of downloads her special got compared to Deray or Amy's. If she can prove she is putting up comparable numbers to those getting more money than her, then she may have an argument.

Last edited:

Once again, these cacs shitt'n on a black woman.

No way these cacs would offer a cac woman that much money.

Black ppl love caping for cacs smh, crap is sad and disgusting.

Awards don't mean anything in 2018. If she wants to make an argument, show the number of downloads her special got compared to Deray or Amy's. If she can prove she is putting up comparable numbers to those getting more money than her, then she may have an argument.

Now, you know in the entertainment business you just can put up downloads and hits or followers on social media to prove how worthy you are. It's not that black and white.

Just take Beyonce for example. She is one one of the most decorated and revered artists of our generation and she's never has won album of the year at the Grammys.

And we can go back to the whole #oscarsowhite issue regarding the Academy Awards.

Black women comics have had a tremendously difficult time rising up the in the game while mediocre white men (Adam Sandler) and women have gotten so many opportunities. SNL just started hiring black women writers. Last year, they finally had a black woman comic host the show.

The barriers these women face have to be understood.

Man black folks will never achieve greatness because instead of looking in the mirror and asking what is it I'm doing, we like to take the easy route and blame everyone else. Self accountability means a lot. The truth hurts. It's not always the white folks fault. Many times it's us.

Ok

I'll bite.

What is it that Monique is doing wrong?

If one knows their worth why not ask for more?

Not bringing in but retaining and having an audience. Go look at their social media followers... Deray got over 850k, Monique got 219k, Amy got 6.5m

Dave got lesser followers but is seen as a comedy legend. I don't think Monique can make a market based argument about why she should be getting millions. I wouldn't have given her that or Deray that $5 million to be honest. Dave and Chris Rock were smart investments.

Breh you do know ppl pay for followers huh?

Some, if not most of those followers are "bots"

Breh you do know ppl pay for followers huh?

Some, if not most of those followers are "bots"
People who pay for followers get exposed most of the time and people at their level aint paying for followers. Hell, you can look at the numbers of likes and comments and tell when people really paying for followers.

and paid followers can't account for someone having 6.3 million more followers than you do. At some point, you just got to admit you aint got the following someone else has.

Now, you know in the entertainment business you just can put up downloads and hits or followers on social media to prove how worthy you are. It's not that black and white.

Just take Beyonce for example. She is one one of the most decorated and revered artists of our generation and she's never has won album of the year at the Grammys.

And we can go back to the whole #oscarsowhite issue regarding the Academy Awards.

Black women comics have had a tremendously difficult time rising up the in the game while mediocre white men (Adam Sandler) and women have gotten so many opportunities. SNL just started hiring black women writers. Last year, they finally had a black woman comic host the show.

The barriers these women face have to be understood.

What does her not winning a Grammy have to do with Money? This an argument over money. That grammy wouldn't help Beyonce earn one additional dollar.

Beck beat her in 2015 right? Who do you think got more money per show in 2016? Do you think any sane promoter would pay Beck more than Beyonce because Beck won the award.

Monique feels she was underpaid. Maybe she was but I want to see numbers. How many people watched her special compared to the others.

What does her not winning a Grammy have to do with Money? This an argument over money. That grammy wouldn't help Beyonce earn one additional dollar.

Beck beat her in 2015 right? Who do you think got more money per show in 2016? Do you think any sane promoter would pay Beck more than Beyonce because Beck won the award.

Monique feels she was underpaid. Maybe she was but I want to see numbers. How many people watched her special compared to the others.

Let me ask you, DeRay Davis said he got paid 5 million for his special, so what's your justification for that?

How many followers matter of fact, what has he done to bring such a following to his platform??

Let me ask you, DeRay Davis said he got paid 5 million for his special, so what's your justification for that?

How many followers matter of fact, what has he done to bring such a following to his platform??
He has 800k followers, 4 times the amount of Monique. I would argue that DeRay was overpaid looking at face value but I want to see his numbers too. He has also more recent success than Monique.

Weighing all options, DeRay appears to be a better investment than Monique but probably not worth $5 million.

He has 800k followers, 4 times the amount of Monique. I would argue that DeRay was overpaid looking at face value but I want to see his numbers too. He has also more recent success than Monique.

Weighing all options, DeRay appears to be a better investment than Monique but probably not worth $5 million.

What's his recent success?

Before that special, what success has he had to garner this attention?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back