Is revenue and stability priority for the SWAC & MEAC?

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
Saw this and wondered what do you think about it...

However, two prominent, HBCU Conferences ( SWAC & Mid-Eastern) are faced with pending change. The Southwestern Athletic Conference Football Championships run, 19 seasons, will end in December and Hampton University just announced their departure from the MEAC.

In light of these events, If revenue and stability are priority for the MEAC and SWAC, this would be a perfect time to reassess conference structure and explore expansion candidates.

http://sistabrutha.com/hbcu-attendance-figures/

I think expansion is the key. Right now, none of the D2 HBCUs are in a position to move up to the FCS level. I think it is time for the SWAC and the MEAC to step outside of their comfort zone and look for expansion by other means, such as FCS PWI looking for a new conference within the conference footprint or D2 PWI looking to move up and is also within the conference footprint. I think the best candidates are D2 PWI and I believe there are quite a few with money within both the SWAC and MEAC footprints.

The SWAC and MEAC conferences have actually started something with the Celebration Bowl that has other FCS conferences (i.e. Southland Conference) thinking about doing the same. The playoff system is not fair and economical Maybe enough bowl games can be created on the FCS level that they can eliminate the playoff system and start doing something similar to what FBS conferences do. Four FCS teams will qualify for the playoff championship, but there would still be several dozen of TRADITIONAL BOWL games with sponsors for other FCS schools. Plus, their zero tradition in the playoff system, which is one of the reasons why it has low attendance in the first couple of rounds and low revenue. The SWAC and MEAC already is designated for the Celebration Bowl, but if either conference top team can poll high enough, they can play in the FCS four teams playoff.

I think expansion is the key. Right now, none of the D2 HBCUs are in a position to move up to the FCS level. I think it is time for the SWAC and the MEAC to step outside of their comfort zone and look for expansion by other means, such as FCS PWI looking for a new conference within the conference footprint or D2 PWI looking to move up and is also within the conference footprint. I think the best candidates are D2 PWI and I believe there are quite a few with money within both the SWAC and MEAC footprints.

What PWI would move to an HBCU conference though?

What PWI would move to an HBCU conference though?

A bottom feeder in a conference. A team that was a big boy in a minor conference and went to a big one and got a reality check.

A Houston Baptist, Rutgers, Kansas City At Missouri-someone in that ilk.

This is a one ticket conference-two if the conference winner doesn't win it and got to the NIT.

A Rutgers could always go post season in the MEAC.

Central Florida or Houston Baptist can do it in the SWAC.

As long as you got a team who could win OOC games-that would help a team like Teaxs Southern come post season time.

It would also help recruiting.

Valdosta State could have moved to Division I a long time ago. Wouldn’t be surprised if they move up to the Big South

Back