Ancestry DNA

chocalate_topaz

I wanna be your lover...
Anybody else done theirs? I did mine...I'm WAY different than people thought...LOL. AFrican (Cameroon/Zulu)- 82%, Norweigian- 16%, UK- 2%. My dad's is even more interesting- he showed Melanesia (black folks with blond hair/blue eyes) and Asian. Neither of ours had Native American and I was told that BOTH of my greatgrands- were Native American...not true. Apparently, they were the slaves of the Indians and lived with them so long, that is how they identified....wish my mom was still alive....

Anywho, anybody else done theirs?

Anybody else done theirs? I did mine...I'm WAY different than people thought...LOL. AFrican (Cameroon/Zulu)- 82%, Norweigian- 16%, UK- 2%. My dad's is even more interesting- he showed Melanesia (black folks with blond hair/blue eyes) and Asian. Neither of ours had Native American and I was told that BOTH of my greatgrands- were Native American...not true. Apparently, they were the slaves of the Indians and lived with them so long, that is how they identified....wish my mom was still alive....

Which company did you use? I am thinking about doing this.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

It's bullshit.

A complete waste of money.

They tried to state that there was no Native American what so ever in my DNA but we have conclusive evidence of the Hemophilia trait being transmitted through my maternal grandfather. Moreover, we have pictures along with birth records depicting race. Yet, they went on to state that we had Swiz, German, African, and Dutch.

I recently received my results. Quite interesting to say the least...

Africa (Congo, Senegal, Togo, Mali, Nigeria, Ghana)- 88%
Asia- 2%
Europe(German, Jewish) -2%
Native American- 4%
Middle Eastern - 4%

Now I am trying to understand all of my DNA matches of relatives that have also completed the DNA testing...
Per the site, I have over 300 relatives whom are 1st-4th (cousins) in relation.

I haven't done it yet, but every couple of years my family on my father's side does a family yearbook. We have the census records showing back to when my great ,great, great, great grandfather was released from slavery in Troup County (Lagrange) Ga and his wife was released in (West point). I have always found it interesting since they first did this back in the 80's and when I read the census it's like I know them. The stories and pictures of each family member comes to life when you do this. They also show the marriage records along with some of the birth records. Nothing like knowing your history.

I did mine...

Cant recall exactly but I was like, in general, 72% West African (Ivory Coast, Ghana, etc... ) and 28% British.

I haven't done it yet, but every couple of years my family on my father's side does a family yearbook. We have the census records showing back to when my great ,great, great, great grandfather was released from slavery in Troup County (Lagrange) Ga and his wife was released in (West point). I have always found it interesting since they first did this back in the 80's and when I read the census it's like I know them. The stories and pictures of each family member comes to life when you do this. They also show the marriage records along with some of the birth records. Nothing like knowing your history.

Exactly.. when you do family history, it like you get to know your ancestors!

It's bullshit.

They tried to state that there was no Native American what so ever in my DNA but we have conclusive evidence of the Hemophilia trait being transmitted through my maternal grandfather. Moreover, we have pictures along with birth records depicting race. Yet, they went on to state that we had Swiz, German, African, and Dutch.

Be sure. about 1/3 of hemophilia cases are the result of spontaneous mutation. that's how the royal families of europe got the disorder.

It's bullshit.

That lying DNA. Pictures don't lie.

Be sure. about 1/3 of hemophilia cases are the result of spontaneous mutation. that's how the royal families of europe got the disorder.

In almost all of the spontaneous mutations there has been a relative that had the disease where the mother was not a carrier but related to a Hemophiliac.

My great grandmother looked like a cross between them and negro...but I have no Native Am DNA found....again, I think she was a descendant of the slaves of Native Americans.

My great grandmother looked like a cross between them and negro...but I have no Native Am DNA found....again, I think she was a descendant of the slaves of Native Americans.

Many native americans tribes had alliances with former slaves and they lived among each other but they many wouldn't marry of have families. Once the federal gov't paid out and gave them reservations they booted us out and kept the "money" for themselves.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

Not saying you don't have Native American genes, but be aware many of our ancestors claimed Native American blood to hide their Caucasian bloodlines.

Umm Did Native Americans come from somewhere else? I need to brush up on my history because something about this sits in the corner of my mind...

Also, when you do ancestry, ALWAYS remember, mama's baby.. PAPA'S MAYBE.

So if you don't want your feelings hurt....

The only scary part about black folks is the poor records kept on blacks especially in the south. Also so many secret and lies told in our families that went to the grave with our people.

I have a pretty extensive pedigree chart inclusive of pictures but haven't taken the DNA test yet. My mother's sister did hers though and it came back with West African, Europe, Native American and West Asia.

I've spent over forty years researching my family tree. I'm a trained archivist and have worked at the state and federal level and had access to all the primary sources. It's a journey that is enjoyable. Solving one question only leads to two more. I too plan to do the DNA test.

I really dislike the fact that the 1890 census was "destroyed" by fire. Researching you family history can be a daunting, but enjoyable task. I have yet to take the DNA test, but I have personally located a lot of family members over the years just by researching the Census. There are a lot of experts here, but I will just say that trying every way imaginable you can think to spell a name goes a very long way.

I did mine through Ancestry as well. Interesting results, thought more Native American would show up but it didn't. My Great Grandmother on my Father's side was supposedly half Creek, my Father did his DNA as well and had the same amount of Native American as I. I was intrigued by the Iberian Peninsula. Despite its accuracy (or lack of). It got my parents correct. LOL...Sadly the last log in I saw for my Mom was the day she passed, would have been nice for her to see my Father's results.

Back