Check out Alabama State's schedule:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
http://www.cheyney.edu/news/Cheyney...-Day-Classic-Thanksgiving-Day.cfm?grp_id=5700

April 21, 2017

Cheyney University
Interim Athletic Director Suzanne Kilian announced today that Cheyney University's football team will head to Montgomery, AL to face Alabama State University on Thanksgiving Day in the 94th Annual Turkey Day Classic on Thursday, November 23, 2017 at ASU Stadium on the Alabama State campus.

The contest, scheduled to begin at 3:00 pm, (2:00 pm in Alabama), will mark the first meeting between two of the nation's oldest Historically Black College and Universities (HBCU). Cheyney, the nation's First HBCU founded in 1837, is celebrating its 180th anniversary this year while Alabama State, founded in 1867, is commemorating its 150th year anniversary.

The Turkey Day Classic features a week of activities and acts as the homecoming game for Division I Alabama State out of the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) eastern division. The Hornets have hosted the Turkey Day Classic every year since 1924.

The Turkey Day Classic is the longest running HBCU Classic in the nation, and has featured just seven different opponents including Tuskegee (1924-'70, '72-'85, '88-'90, and '93-2012), Mississippi Valley State ('71), Clark Atlanta ('86), Johnson C. Smith ('87 and '91), Fayetteville State ('92), Stillman (2013-14) and Miles (2015-16).

Cheyney Head Football Coach Chris Roulhac, Albany State '70, competed against Alabama State as a member of the Albany State football teams.

"I look forward to going back to Alabama State and being a part of this historic event," Roulhac said, understanding the significance of the contest and seeing this as a great opportunity to grow the Cheyney brand. "It's an honor to travel to Alabama for the 94th Annual Turkey Day Classic, and to play in their new stadium, in our 180th year as they celebrate their 150th."

My question is how can Cheyney play 12 games? I just looked on their website and this makes their 12th game. I know of no Division II waivers that allow teams to play 12 regular season games. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Brian, you're absolutely right---Cheyney does have 12 games.

Interesting.....something must have happened for this to be allowed.

o_O

Back