Grambling State dismisses basketball coach Shawn Walker

Didn't they do this to the women's coach about 4-5 years ago. He left to go be a asst at stu and took his recruits with him.

Okay @Kenn Rashad you're all in other people business so spill the beans.

Sources told me the coach and AD had philosophical differences on the type of players to recruit going forward. Bryant (the AD) suggested that more attention be made to recruiting more local/regional talent...expressing that the program would be better for it long term. Coach Walker (an east coast guy) was not willing to do that...wanting to stick to the recruiting strategy already in place. As a result, Walker was dismissed.

Sources told me the coach and AD had philosophical differences on the type of players to recruit going forward. Bryant (the AD) suggested that more attention be made to recruiting more local/regional talent...expressing that the program would be better for it long term. Coach Walker (an east coast guy) was not willing to do that...wanting to stick to the recruiting strategy already in place. As a result, Walker was dismissed.

Dang, it looks like they should have had a compromise on that being he was turning the program around.

Did any of the alumni remind the new AD that for the moment we don't have a lot of local talent? Especially in the northern part of the state.

In other words, he picked a fight to find a reason to fire him so he can bring in somebody else.

If you're not recruiting the Midwest, east coast or grad transfers, you're not going to move the needle in basketball

In other words, he picked a fight to find a reason to fire him so he can bring in somebody else.

If you're not recruiting the Midwest, east coast or grad transfers, you're not going to move the needle in basketball

Pretty much

Did any of the alumni remind the new AD that for the moment we don't have a lot of local talent? Especially in the northern part of the state.

Well, that's where it becomes a matter of opinion, because there are quite a few alums who happen to agree with Bryant. Some will tell you that there is plenty of talent to be found between Shreveport to Monroe, Little Rock to Alexandria and all points in between.

The AD didn't say NOT to recruit other areas.

With all that said (because I know there are certain individuals who are reading this thread) I want to go on the record to say this...I get BOTH sides. I understand the AD's desire to want to recruit athletes within the region. However, I do believe that if a coach is to be responsible for the wins and losses produced by his/her team, allow that coach the latitude to recruit the type of players he/she feels will get the best results for the program.

With all that said (because I know there are certain individuals who are reading this thread) I want to go on the record to say this...I get BOTH sides. I understand the AD's desire to want to recruit athletes within the region. However, I do believe that if a coach is to be responsible for the wins and losses produced by his/her team, allow that coach the latitude to recruit the type of players he/she feels will get the best results for the program.

What is the potential net benefit from recruiting locally/regionally in an area that is void of basketball talent compared to other areas?

Back