Former JSU Band Directors, Where are they now?

Dr. Tripp

Former JSU Band Directors and JSU Band Alumni, Where are they now?

Paul I. Adams
Mr. Paul I. Adams is one of the leading arrangers in the country. He has written music for some of the nation's top marching band programs including: University of Minnesota, Jackson State University, and University of Pittsburgh. Mr. Adams was previously Assistant Band Director of Bands at Jackson State University, Director of Bands at Howard University, and currently the Associate Director of Bands, Chief Arranger, and Low Brass instructor at Norfolk State University
mralegion.jpg

http://sola.nsu.edu/music/lweb_4/mra.htm

William H. Beathea
Mr. William H. Beathea is a graduate of Ball State University (Baccalaureate), and Eastern Illinois University (Masters). He was Assistant Band Director at Jackson State University, and is currently the Pecussion Instructor, Pep Band Director, and Assistant Marching Band Director at Norfolk State University
mblegion.jpg

http://sola.nsu.edu/music/lweb_4/mb.htm

Stephanie Sanders
Ms. Stephanie K. Sanders is a graduate of Jackson State University (Baccalaureate), University of Houston (Masters), and currently studies at Regent University. She was the Assistant Band Director at Alcorn State University. Ms. Sanders is the Woodwind Instructor, Jazz Band Director, and Assistant Band Director at Norfolk State University.
mssand.jpg

http://sola.nsu.edu/music/lweb_4/mssand.htm

:tup: :tup:
I was at JSU when Adams and Beathea were there!
They'll be at HONDA this Saturday. I can't wait to see their band!

Re: Former JSU Band Directors and JSU Band Alumni, Where are they now?

Paul I. Adams
Mr. Paul I. Adams is one of the leading arrangers in the country. He has written music for some of the nation's top marching band programs including: University of Minnesota, Jackson State University, and University of Pittsburgh. Mr. Adams was previously Assistant Band Director of Bands at Jackson State University, Director of Bands at Howard University, and currently the Associate Director of Bands, Chief Arranger, and Low Brass instructor at Norfolk State University
mralegion.jpg

http://sola.nsu.edu/music/lweb_4/mra.htm

William H. Beathea
Mr. William H. Beathea is a graduate of Ball State University (Baccalaureate), and Eastern Illinois University (Masters). He was Assistant Band Director at Jackson State University, and is currently the Pecussion Instructor, Pep Band Director, and Assistant Marching Band Director at Norfolk State University
mblegion.jpg

http://sola.nsu.edu/music/lweb_4/mb.htm

Stephanie Sanders
Ms. Stephanie K. Sanders is a graduate of Jackson State University (Baccalaureate), University of Houston (Masters), and currently studies at Regent University. She was the Assistant Band Director at Alcorn State University. Ms. Sanders is the Woodwind Instructor, Jazz Band Director, and Assistant Band Director at Norfolk State University.
mssand.jpg

http://sola.nsu.edu/music/lweb_4/mssand.htm

:tdown: ..HAHA..i see you STOLE my topic that I started over on swac fans.com!!!!! :saw:

Ms. Sanders is the best, she was a great fit for Alcorn and did great things with the band while there. We miss her done at the Corn!!!!!!

Sonic Boom alum and Asst. JSU Band Director, James "Fish' Holden is an Asst. Band Director at Virginia State.

Why did the BOOM have no sound when Bethea and Adams were at JSU.

WHAT!!!!!!!!! When Taylor and Adams were together .........they were deadly. The Boom had great sound in parts of the 90s as well. I don't know when Adams left.........but I do know how he is about his music. He don't play. When I was at SU, he would come back for a few sessions with the band and all I know he is no joke.... He is the one who really mentored the great SU band assistant band directors when they were undergraduates.......Roy Johnson(our head assistant in 80s), Eric Baskin(assistant with Roy during the 80s), Carnell Knighten(SU head assistant now) and current SU director Lawrence Jackson were all his pupils in the 70s when he was Doc Greggs right hand man. That's probably why Norfolk State sound the way they do now. So I can't agree the Boom had no sound during his years. Look at the 90 band and enough said.........

WHAT!!!!!!!!! When Taylor and Adams were together .........they were deadly. The Boom had great sound in parts of the 90s as well. I don't know when Adams left.........but I do know how he is about his music. He don't play. When I was at SU, he would come back for a few sessions with the band and all I know he is no joke.... He is the one who really mentored the great SU band assistant band directors when they were undergraduates.......Roy Johnson(our head assistant in 80s), Eric Baskin(assistant with Roy during the 80s), Carnell Knighten(SU head assistant now) and current SU director Lawrence Jackson were all his pupils in the 70s when he was Doc Greggs right hand man. That's probably why Norfolk State sound the way they do now. So I can't agree the Boom had no sound during his years. Look at the 90 band and enough said.........

Not talking about the Taylor Days. I am talking about the late 90's. Some years we had size but no sound.

Not talking about the Taylor Days. I am talking about the late 90's. Some years we had size but no sound.

Oh okay.........well I don't know when Adams left........but I think I know what years you are talking about.

1992-1999?

LOL. No, not the whole 90's......I think if I am right the last few years in the 90s is what TP is talking about. All I can remember specifically is the 99 year that SU played in Jackson. The Boom just didn't seem it's normal self then. I am partial anyway. I like the Haughton and Taylor led Sonic Boom versions the best. Liddell has had some good years.......but never a great and totally dominant year like Haughton or Taylor had during their tenure. You still hear people in Jackson and the SWAC talk about certain Haughton and Taylor years. Maybe I am old, but I don't hear the same said about the Liddell years even though he has had some good bands.

Adams was still there during my years in the BOOM (94-97). And we had sound with BEAUTIFUL arrangements as long as Adams was there.

TP, do you mean POWER instead of sound?

Combination of both. The arrangements were nice but the band was like....:no:

Adams was still there during my years in the BOOM (94-97). And we had sound with BEAUTIFUL arrangements as long as Adams was there.

TP, do you mean POWER instead of sound?

Yeah I bet that's what he means..........yall had it during your tenure. I have some SU vs JSU battles on tape from that time.

Yeah I bet that's what he means..........yall had it during your tenure. I have some SU vs JSU battles on tape from that time.

Well, I am not a band person but I don't think I mean power becasue the band cerainly lacked that a lot in the late 90's. For instance, in 2004 and 2005, the BOOM had POWER but lacked musiciality (if that is a word) in my opinion. However, back when Adams was a JSU, the band had nice arrangements (esp. on ballads) but you couldn't hear it. LOL

Well, I am not a band person but I don't think I mean power becasue the band cerainly lacked that a lot in the late 90's. For instance, in 2004 and 2005, the BOOM had POWER but lacked musiciality (if that is a word) in my opinion. However, back when Adams was a JSU, the band had nice arrangements (esp. on ballads) but you couldn't hear it. LOL

I think you just don't know what you're talking about. The sound was definitely there when Adams and Magruder were there. Maybe you just didn't like what you were hearing, and that's fine because you're entitled to your opinion. But the sound? It was there. During the mid and late 90s, the BOOM was not a power band; we also didn't have the instrumentation then that they have now. And as far as ballads? Magruder did most of our ballads, and he is a wonderful arranger!

Can someone define POWER and VOLUME?

Volume: the degree of loudness or intensity of sound.
Power: the amount of noise most SWAC bandsmen confuse with volume. Just kidding.

Power is the might to move something; the source or means of supplying energy.

Back