The NCAA is dead. It's time for HBCUs to make their move and strike out on our own.

BookerJones

This is by no means a post longing for our past glory days in segregation. No, this is a post that I believe is about doing good business for the future. NIL killed the NCAA and I've long believed the NCAA just isn't the best organization for HBCUs because we are often punished for things that our out of our control due to a lack of funds such as APR punishments. I anticipate money games will end so that will be a source of money that will be gone for many HBCUs. The power groups of NCAA that will remain will have no incentive to provide money games when they can play each other, sell out those games, and get incredible ratings.

Most HBCUs are in the south and I believe in 2021 there is more love for football in the south than any racial animus towards Blacks and HBCUs. So, all HBCU athletic programs need to be out seeking sponsorships from the entirety of their local business communities like Deion Sanders is doing at JSU. And, before someone says "well that's Deion" I'm saying the effort to get support from all local business entities has to be there and it has to be a consistent effort for I believe doing so can bear fruit.

Lastly, HBCUs either on their own in one group can do a lot of good to make collective business decisions that can bolster the entire group especially with the right leadership in place.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
What are the positives for HBCUs to stay in the NCAA at any level?

The reason I don't talk bad about Hampton and A&T is because we, Black folks, failed them! The MEAC Commissioner shouldn't have been allowed to retire if we were about the right thing. That cat should've been fired! No where else in college football at any level would a conference commissioner who on his watch two teams including your best athletics program in your conference left should've kept his job.

But, I think if we struck out on our own I think we'd bring A&T and Hampton back in the fold because a genuine HBCU football league would offer a better media deals for members including streaming capabilities and it would be better for ticket sales because it would renew HBCU rivalries that existed before we allowed ourselves to be split up between divisions I-AA (now FCS), division II, division III, and NAIA.

Hmmm....niche isolation and becoming a mini league that pays its players. It could work...the fan base would need the marketing to be legit, creative, and very responsive.

Hmmm....niche isolation and becoming a mini league that pays its players. It could work...the fan base would need the marketing to be legit, creative, and very responsive.
Who pays the players considering there is inherent financial inequity among schools? What could work for one school -- or a group of them -- might not work for schools that have historically struggled economically even if there were this HBCU merger.

Who pays the players considering there is inherent financial inequity among schools? What could work for one school -- or a group of them -- might not work for schools that have historically struggled economically even if there were this HBCU merger.
Build it and they will come! We have always supported our own. Aint nothing changed with that! The financial inequity exists because the entire system is rigged. From APR, college grade scandals, scholarship amounts, under the table illegal activity, pay to play, etc. (you name it, the NCAA has allowed it and has turned a blind eye toward some of the major perpetrators involved in these shenanigans. You know it and we know it.

NIL was the best thing to happen for us.

Well, that's where petitioning the business community comes in. I know for a fact some SEC head football coaches are meeting with local business groups and telling them "you always wanted to give players money. Now it's legal. So, pay them."

But, I think if we struck out on our own I think we'd bring A&T and Hampton back in the fold because a genuine HBCU football league would offer a better media deals for members including streaming capabilities and it would be better for ticket sales because it would renew HBCU rivalries that existed before we allowed ourselves to be split up between divisions I-AA (now FCS), division II, division III, and NAIA.
Build it and they will come! We have always supported our own.
Well..........

We need 8 figures yearly in a TV deal in order for this to work. Preferably, we'd need a major network that's willing to pay for our product. Otherwise, it's not going to work.
I strongly don't think super conferences and pay for athletes and NIL is going to "destroy" the NCAA. At least not for a good while. And that reason you have there is why. I think the pay could make some waves as far as parity of talent in conferences and of course some will hurt bad and some will thrive. This is the nature of sports though...

Who got the body?
@BookerJones Welcome to the Forum! As a current Memphis resident and Ole School music lover, that is a cool name. I also agree with everything you have said and I've had those same opinions for a good minute....

Now @J-State2DaPoint, I just needed to thank you for the laugh I received when I saw that. I had a long day but when I scrolled down and read that, you got me. LOL!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
after NIL I can no longer disregard this kind of thought but will the money be there for all schools to stay afloat? That's the biggest issue.

after NIL I can no longer disregard this kind of thought but will the money be there for all schools to stay afloat? That's the biggest issue.
Good point, and I get it! However, at this point --and from what I'm hearing about the expected meeting with the NCAA and the Power 5 schools--I anticipate we will need to get this ball rolling rather quickly and have some faith that it can and will work!

Autonomy is the name of the game going forward! If anyone can't see that now....

What are the positives for HBCUs to stay in the NCAA at any level?

The reason I don't talk bad about Hampton and A&T is because we, Black folks, failed them! The MEAC Commissioner shouldn't have been allowed to retire if we were about the right thing. That cat should've been fired! No where else in college football at any level would a conference commissioner who on his watch two teams including your best athletics program in your conference left should've kept his job.

Hmmm, the Big 12 Commissioner still has his job... So far.

That's what I'm getting at. Pay is now real...step up the marketing. Time to pimp the HBCU is Wakanda theme to the max! #neauxPV

I strongly don't think super conferences and pay for athletes and NIL is going to "destroy" the NCAA. At least not for a good while. And that reason you have there is why. I think the pay could make some waves as far as parity of talent in conferences and of course some will hurt bad and some will thrive. This is the nature of sports though...

The NCAA owns March Madness tourneys (men and women). But, as far as the NCAA being the governing body over what is now Power 5 football that is ending soon.

That's what I'm getting at. Pay is now real...step up the marketing. Time to pimp the HBCU is Wakanda theme to the max! #neauxPV

This! And, I would add this is the time to choose leadership not based on the amount of gray in their hair or because they've bounced around all of HBCU football. This is truly a time that HBCU athletics can reposition itself in many ways.

I initially thought that but I started seeing the dollar amounts being thrown around for 5 star quarterbacks. The going rate appears to be at least $1 million dollars in NIL deals including deals that are "mutually beneficial" for their teammates. So, I've changed my mind.

I initially thought that but I started seeing the dollar amounts being thrown around for 5 star quarterbacks. The going rate appears to be at least $1 million dollars in NIL deals including deals that are "mutually beneficial" for their teammates. So, I've changed my mind.
And then there'd the other thing that changes athletes physically too....time. what a time to be alive for sports

Back