FCS Coaches Poll

I was gonna post a thread about Southern being in the convo for an at-large FCS playoff bid. This only confirms that it's legit although UAPB should be ranked as well since... you know... they beat SU

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Now this is interesting. An interest in the FCS playoffs

This is a different type of season. Although it has always been set for the teams that were not committed to the SCG that they were available for the FCS playoffs (except su & gsu because of the BC). You are having more FCS teams opt out of completing their spring season becuase of Covid and there could be a opportunity for a Swac team to get in.

I saw another FCS poll this week that had UAPB at #25 (if I find it I'll post it). Which does beg the question, why isn't UAPB ranked in this poll??

UAPB received three votes in the STATS poll. Southern got 10.

UAPB got 12 votes in the coaches poll. AAMU got 10 and Jackson got 1.

@Mr. SWAC short answer to your question is ... strange things happen with pollsters.

Last edited:
I saw another FCS poll this week that had UAPB at #25 (if I find it I'll post it). Which does beg the question, why isn't UAPB ranked in this poll??
They probably saw that asu game and want to see more first before they put them in.

They probably saw that asu game and want to see more first before they put them in.
Perhaps, but that game never even made it to halftime. ANYTHING could have happened, and ASU has a good defense so it's not odd to see UAPB struggle offensively out of the gate. Meanwhile, there was already a H2H matchup between UAPB and Southern that was won quite decidedly.

I tend to dislike these polls because they continuously are very biased a) against the SWAC because we opt-out of playoffs, b) against HBCUs in general, and c) against non-traditional powerhouse teams. I think the heightened exposure has had a considerable affect this year with our games on national TV, but it's easy to see the bias at play.

And I'm not ragging on SU. I saw another FCS poll that didn't have either SU nor UAPB in it, but put a 4-5 Austin Peay at #25. Seriously?

20210407_101112.jpg

Perhaps, but that game never even made it to halftime. ANYTHING could have happened, and ASU has a good defense so it's not odd to see UAPB struggle offensively out of the gate. Meanwhile, there was already a H2H matchup between UAPB and Southern that was won quite decidedly.

I tend to dislike these polls because they continuously are very biased a) against the SWAC because we opt-out of playoffs, b) against HBCUs, and c) against non-traditional powerhouse teams. I think heightened exposure has had a considerable affect this year with games on national TV, but it's easy to see the bias at play.

And I'm not ragging on SU. I saw another FCS poll that didn't have either SU nor UAPB in it, but put a 4-5 Austin Peay at #25. Seriously?

View attachment 12210
YUP ... the Sports Network/STATS Top 25 ... been biased towards playoff participating conferences ...

I tend to dislike these polls because they continuously are very biased a) against the SWAC because we opt-out of playoffs, b) against HBCUs in general, and c) against non-traditional powerhouse teams. I think the heightened exposure has had a considerable affect this year with our games on national TV, but it's easy to see the bias at play.

View attachment 12210
Yea the voters probably saw pb struggle against valley so they most likely reserved there judgement on ranking them.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
gotta be. He leads the nation in sacks.
But if UAPB runs the table ... and Southern wins out ... does this mean a shot at an at-large bid
From what I'm hearing those two being Southern and pb might be in the championship because of games played and there being the best two teams.

The Swac need to be putting the info out there now that there may be a Swac team that is not committed to the SCG available for the FCS playoffs. Don't wait till the last minute, let those voters know now that it could happen.

No SWAC team is going to the playoffs. SWAC season ends 4/24 which is also the 1st round of the playoffs . Only SWAC school not playing is Southern but they could be waiting to see the results of the UAPB game to see who plays for the SWAC title.

How can the SWAC justify putting AAMU in the championship game with zero or only one SWAC win versus a team with muliple conferwence wins? One may argue that it is not AAMU's fault that the pandemic caused those cancellations, but neither is it the fault of anyone else.

How can the SWAC justify putting AAMU in the championship game with zero or only one SWAC win versus a team with muliple conferwence wins? One may argue that it is not AAMU's fault that the pandemic caused those cancellations, but neither is it the fault of anyone else.
AAMU's last 3 regular season games are all against Eastern division teams (JSU, ASU, and MVSU). If those games occur there is no debate. If we don't win them all it will go to who has the best conference record in the East. If we have to cancel anymore games that is not our fault. AAMU has tried to schedule makeup games. We've reached out to other SWAC teams to play and they declined for various reasons, and the SWAC office can't blame anybody but themselves for not being proactive.

Back