Do you support the move of FCS football to spring?

Olde Hornet

I was listening to sport talk radio this morning and they suggested that if this spring goes well for FCS football, they should consider a permanent move. The reasons are:
1. More exposure
2. More money (TV games)

How would you feel about a change of season?
shrug
shrug
shrug

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I would be all for it. Gives us a chance to market ourselves and increase exposure for the kids. The next step they need to implement is increase the scholarship allotment especially given the covid situation.

I was listening to sport talk radio this morning and they suggested that if this spring goes well for FCS football, they should consider a permanent move. The reasons are:
1. More exposure
2. More money (TV games)

How would you feel about a change of season?
shrug
shrug
shrug
Let’s see how many games get played.

I would not be a fan of this. It would make football basically year-round and dull my interest in it. It would also put other sports on the back burner that during the spring have a chance to be upfront.

Especially for this reason.

Football in the spring would pretty much overshadow every spring sport

Plus as I said on Twitter concerning soccer... it is gonna be no fun at all dodging Spring storms.

Plus the strain this would put on our training staffs and overall departments. You can see it being a problem this Spring with Saturdays in which you could have baseball, softball, soccer, basketball, indoor track and football all on the same day

In April, imagine have a football, baseball, soccer and softball games all on the same day on campus

Start in March and I would be for it.... spring sports are boring (I know you baseball heads are about to jump on me...
Pretty much this. I honestly don't even care about any of the other sports. I don't really watch basketball until the tournament.

As for me this spring is going to be tough. I love baseball and I absolutely love softball. The other sports I'm interested in are being played at the same time too.
I will pay attention to each and every sport at each and every swac campus. I have groomed many girls to go play college softball. Even thought about taking the Texas southern job

Reactions: J C
Plus as I said on Twitter concerning soccer... it is gonna be no fun at all dodging Spring storms.

First weekend here:

Valley soccer had to postpone both games at home this weekend due to the winter storm and thunderstorms for the next 4 days

I think the JSU/Valley football game would have go through without a hitch due to rain chances being lower in Jackson than the Delta but it's something that we're gonna have to deal with all spring

I personally don’t agree with football in the spring permanently. I think the exposure and all that might make sense to people but majority of these games are on espn+ not even the flagship espn, espn2, espnu etc. so people are not willing to pay to going espn+ to watch football they just won’t support it now me I have plus because I love football. The southern/Bama state game was in espn 3. I think it’s hard in athletic departments to play spring football. There is a reason it was created to be fall only. What about draftable kids that are planning on going pro do they play next spring season or not if they decided to do spring next season. Coaches would put programs in tough situations when it come down to jobs etc.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I would be for it, it's different. I get to see both football and baseball in the spring. Who said football was suppose to be in the fall anyway?

Especially for this reason.

Football in the spring would pretty much overshadow every spring sport

Plus the strain this would put on our training staffs and overall departments. You can see it being a problem this Spring with Saturdays in which you could have baseball, softball, soccer, basketball, indoor track and football all on the same day

In April, imagine have a football, baseball, soccer and softball games all on the same day on campus

Your going to kill, if they aren’t halfway dead already now the support staffs literally this season even without football if that was normal as that makes this worse this year. Good luck finding trainers now in the future honestly as they didn’t sign up to be covid testers and part time doctors.

Spring ball can ONLY happen at a well funded and staffed institution

They have tried this at the Professional Level several times. Never is lasting. And I would not be for it. For one, and this is personal (maybe selfish) I am an Accountant...that is busy season. Than is they moved, about time Spring got here, I would need a break from football as I would be full of it already from September through Dec. While it would give other Bowl playing team fans, a chance to see the SWAC Brand, I think the negatives outweigh any positive benefits.

I personally don’t agree with football in the spring permanently. I think the exposure and all that might make sense to people but majority of these games are on espn+ not even the flagship espn, espn2, espnu etc. so people are not willing to pay to going espn+ to watch football they just won’t support it now me I have plus because I love football. The southern/Bama state game was in espn 3. I think it’s hard in athletic departments to play spring football. There is a reason it was created to be fall only. What about draftable kids that are planning on going pro do they play next spring season or not if they decided to do spring next season. Coaches would put programs in tough situations when it come down to jobs etc.

These games weren’t apart of the Spring lineup for those main networks and channel. If the FCS moves football to the Spring, the SWAC, (who sells tickets better than every FCS conference), would find more success on main channels. Ratings would be better, and the SWAC Championship Game would be a bigger deal.

Planning for a Spring Season immediately after this Spring Season could lead to ESPN, ESPN 2, FOX Sports airing games like:

Jackson State vs Southern
Alcorn vs Grambling
FAMU vs Southern
Bethune Cookman vs Grambling
Texas Southern vs PVAMU
PVAMU vs Grambling
Jackson State vs Alcorn

Who knows, we might see ABC, NBC and CBS finding games like the following on their schedule as well.

Grambling vs Southern
Bethune Cookman vs FAMU
Alabama State vs Alabama A&M
SWAC Championship Game
Celebration Bowl (Already on ABC)

Other SWAC conferences games would definitely been seen on the ESPN 2 or 3 networks. It sounds crazy to some, but this can definitely happen. We will see more television coverage if football was played in the Spring. We might not like missing the fall smell of football, but I think it would be better exposure for the conference in the Spring.

This question was raised today during the Coaches' Teleconference. Dr. Hill-Eley (Eley-Hill) of ASU seemed to suggest that the idea is not out of the question due to the potential for enhanced revenue and exposure. He seemed to suggest that the Spring is usually a slow time for sports, and that Spring football may be just what the doctor ordered.

Yeah, basketball, baseball, and other Spring sports not to mention that big money football contests would become a thing of the past as well as contests against like foes.

Yeah, basketball, baseball, and other Spring sports not to mention that big money football contests would become a thing of the past as well as contests against like foes.

Big money football games needs to become a thing of the past. How long will we continue to prostitute before we learn how to get real jobs and make our own money be selling our brands. Spring football opens the doors to Classics in NFL Stadiums and other possible events. We are missing out on major television network because of competition vs FBS programs. Spring football will eliminate this. We don’t compete for the FCS National Championship, so that’s not a factor.

If push the SWAC to try it out in 2022 just for an experiment. Things will be different if we make it know before the Spring TV Network schedule is completed. With the hype of expanding SWAC, interest in Spring Football by college football fans, JSU-Sanders press hyped, showcasing bands, and most of all, the social climate, HBCU football would be seen more in television than ever before.

I would love it.... I would love to go to a football game during the day and a basketball game that night. One thing I hate about football season is having to wait an entire week for another game. Put a basketball game in between and Im happy.

Back