Future of the SWAC- will we bring everybody?

JAGSC

With the changing FCS landscape going on, I do have a question? Do we honestly feel that when we reach our full potential on the FCS level from sponsorships,to bigger budgets, to more exposure on tv etc.. and we make the JUMP!!! WILL all SWAC schools be ready for such a big move?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
That's why the next tv contract that conference gets is critical. It could provide money to help school move up. How else do you think Vanderbilt is able to stay in the SEC? Or Rutgers in the Big Ten? The TV contracts

That money has nothing to do with their athletics. The tv contract definitely makes more of a difference than that. Howard probably has more of an endowment than every HBCU, means nothing athletically.

Yeah Howard has a bigger endowment than both LSU and Mississippi State. LSU is ridiculously poor for a "flagship".

That money has nothing to do with their athletics. The tv contract definitely makes more of a difference than that. Howard probably has more of an endowment than every HBCU, means nothing athletically.
My statement was in reference to TV contract being the reason Vandy stays in the SEC. It has nothing to do with it and the endowments have multiple purposes with investment revenue being used to support all sorts on university needs. FACTS

When the thought process is you can't , you NEVER will.
+1.

We need two differing SWACs represented. Those of us who "I BELIEVE" we can in one.

And the other for "them" jigs who negatively say "they cannot."

lol

"Ain't no way an HBCU can land 3*/4*/5* kids over a P5."

What dummy said that dumb shit? Eat their ass up 2020 coach Prime, Odums, Dooley, Maynor, and Hill-Eley.

+1.

We need two differing SWACs represented. Those of us who "I BELIEVE" we can in one.

And the other for "them" jigs who negatively say "they cannot."

lol

"Ain't no way an HBCU can land 3*/4*/5* kids over a P5."

What dummy said that dumb shit? Eat their ass up 2020 coach Prime, Odums, Dooley, Maynor, and Hill-Eley.

All the schools that are willing gotta do is incrementally increase their budgets over the next few years and the conference gets a better deal for revenue sharing.

But scared money don’t make money

Sick of this shit.

100 years of watching "them" pole vault their way past us financially by carefully mining TAG resources who were once our norm rather than what we have today, the exception.

No viable history at those places and those at our level too ascended over the last 30-40 years using our once norm resources.

It has to stop.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Everybody talking but nobody has a plan. Notice, the only school that's been able to pull this off without a conference invite is Liberty. The school with basically unlimited funds due to their huge online school. It sounds good but it aint realistic.. Many are struggling now as is.. Valley, Grambling and UAPB gonna be able to add the amount of sports required to meet title x? Increase facilities to meet the fbs minimum requirements? I'm sure the top few in the conference could but all, nah. Not even half.

It doesn't have anything to directly do athletics, but it shows that the financial base is there. Granted, the Vanderbilt donor base has other priorities (it's actually a fascinating divide), but it's very much a matter of want instead of can't.

Everybody talking but nobody has a plan. Notice, the only school that's been able to pull this off without a conference invite is Liberty. The school with basically unlimited funds due to their huge online school. It sounds good but it aint realistic.. Many are struggling now as is.. Valley, Grambling and UAPB gonna be able to add the amount of sports required to meet title x? Increase facilities to meet the fbs minimum requirements? I'm sure the top few in the conference could but all, nah. Not even half.
Liberty is a bad example. Political alignment from the 70s through today have helped the Falwell family work toward making that school the Notre Dame for evangelicals.

Well of course not. everybody won't be ready to move up. probably even some schools that you expect should be ready, won't.

This part

Everybody likes to bring up Valley but if your school isn't maxed out right now at 63 scholarships in football and every other sport (plus you have to add at least 2-3 more sports), you are in the same boat as us especially if you don't have at least a $10 million athletic budget at this point right now

Valley needs people who actually care about athletics and not people who say they care

Last edited:
I would rather AAMU invest in a dental, pharmacy and law school then FBS football
We can do both at the same time is what a lot of people don't consider. Athletics is often the front yard of the university, and it can be used to bring in money to be used for both academic and athletic enhancements. What we need is for our ADs and VPs of Athletics to formalize a blueprint of what each institution needs to do in order to move up. Facilities and alumni support are the driving factor in the SWAC going FBS.

In AAMU's case, all of the strides we are making in academics now are attributed to great leadership at the top with an emphasis on fiscal management, accountability, and performance incentives at work. This has led to us being able to secure funds to upgrade student housing, new and/or upgraded facilities, and campus beautification projects. Now, we are setting our sights on expanding our academic footprint in 21st century fields:
20210118_142050.jpg

Athletics needs to lay out a vision and plan to galvanize our alumni base and supporters. Athletics facility upgrades can and should be funded through athletics revenue (ads, ticket sales, TV, etc.), boosters, donations, student fees, and then a commitment from the university.

Going FBS and adding pharmacy and law schools should not be considered as "either/or" prepositions.

We can do both at the same time is what a lot of people don't consider. Athletics is often the front yard of the university, and it can be used to bring in money to be used for both academic and athletic enhancements. What we need is for our ADs and VPs of Athletics to formalize a blueprint of what each institution needs to do in order to move up. Facilities and alumni support are the driving factor in the SWAC going FBS.

In AAMU's case, all of the strides we are making in academics now are attributed to great leadership at the top with an emphasis on fiscal management, accountability, and performance incentives at work. This has led to us being able to secure funds to upgrade student housing, new and/or upgraded facilities, and campus beautification projects. Now, we are setting our sights on expanding our academic footprint in 21st century fields:
View attachment 11503

Athletics needs to lay out a vision and plan to galvanize our alumni base and supporters. Athletics facility upgrades can and should be funded through athletics revenue (ads, ticket sales, TV, etc.), boosters, donations, student fees, and then a commitment from the university.

Going FBS and adding pharmacy and law schools should not be considered as "either/or" prepositions.
I totally agree. I was just talking to someone about SU adding more certificates/post BS in engineering. More jobs are looking for that Nowadays. I also talked about AI as well, and it would be hard for SU to add a med school due to LSU, but I feel a private/public med school with FranU -formally Our lady of the lake college in Baton Rouge could happen adding to the law school.

That’s where we fall short as HBCU’s.

Back