UT-Rio Grande Valley to Add Football By '24

TexasTerror

It's official.

As part of today's WAC announcement, UTRGV has committed to adding football in the Rio Grande Valley by 2024.

They are the first Division I school to add football in Texas since Houston Baptist.

According to a poster on AGS, that makes 10 FCS schools in Texas and 22 Division I football programs overall and certainly based on the other news about an additional Texas school coming to the WAC before long to give the league 14 schools total (with Chicago State's pending exit), we can anticipate that FCS count to go up. And that does not even include FCS.

Look for the Vaqueros to be added to schedules of SWAC and SLC schools in the coming years - no question they'll want to play Texas teams out of conference too.

I'm sure Prairie View A&M University football has a plethora of "Ls" they are willing to donate to their cause.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
It's official.

As part of today's WAC announcement, UTRGV has committed to adding football in the Rio Grande Valley by 2024.

They are the first Division I school to add football in Texas since Houston Baptist.

According to a poster on AGS, that makes 10 FCS schools in Texas and 22 Division I football programs overall and certainly based on the other news about an additional Texas school coming to the WAC before long to give the league 14 schools total (with Chicago State's pending exit), we can anticipate that FCS count to go up. And that does not even include FCS.

Look for the Vaqueros to be added to schedules of SWAC and SLC schools in the coming years - no question they'll want to play Texas teams out of conference too.

I don't know why, but it never occurred to me the old UT-Pan Am never fielded a football team. Good for them and that region.

Back