2021 expectations ( swac) or your fav conference

tony11

Texas Sou- alot of growth has shown for the ocean in 2019 they were proving every week they aren't backing down but they need trumpets badly to balance out those arrangements they have I expect them to build on their season also curious to why they haven't hired a director yet.

Grambling- had a very consistent season Dr Roebuck is over there making her mark and it showed. I expect gsu to come stronger hopefully we will hear more shocking arrangements too something that makes you say damn that's what gsu is missing imo. But I expect them to build on last season.

Jackson- by far the cleanest swac band last season. Arrangements were on point but song selection at times can be iffy...however JSU imo was the most consistent sounding SWAC band in 2019. I expect a bigger box this season too.

Alcorn- Alcorn needs consistent numbers and arrangements they sound good those tubas and trumpets held that entire band down last season but the overall sound isn't consistent and you can hear that overall during last season. However Alcorn is stepping back to the alcorn I loved the 00 type of band. I can see SOD growing too this fall.

Uapb- at times they sounded like they just took their horns out and played no warm up or anything then we heard them Sound great. That being said consistent is something they aren't. I love their shows but the overall lack of consistency is hurting the program but I can see uapb improving this spring I hope to hear some of the M4 old classics

PVU- song selections is what killed them last season and arrangements at times. They have the sound and overall band it just at times I questioned their song selection. Their shows aren't what they use to be either I'm bored at times by their shows. However pv has the sound and numbers they just need to use their book and they do have one I can see a bigger storm this fall too.

Southern- 2019 su was missing that flare I'm use to hearing and lacked that energy I loved p too Haymer energy was hype hungry and ready and that is what he carries over to his band and it showed he wasn't there. However hands down no one can touch their arrangements no one and I stand by that. I sometimes also question their song selection. Toward the end of the season it seems to bore down overall the jukes imo will wake back up this fall.

AAMU- CLEAN consistent and you gotta love them aamu is returning to the 1998 style of aamu I loved. That director is really doing a great job over there. I just wish we could see more fifths from them

BAMA ST- this band is getting smaller and the overall sound is so inconsistent. Example that take you down on the field they played Was very nice but then we get to the stands and we hear them and be like wtf idk what is going on at ASU but from everything we read and see Oliver is holding that program back. A controlling director isn't. A good sign at all. I expect asu to improve but number wise I do not see the growing this fall.

MVSU-need numbers and horns and money. The director is doing a good job though toning their sound it's just mvsu needs consistent everything they are however improving

FAMU- is clean they sound great but their song selection will hurt them in the fifth but musically they will be one of the best in the SWAC this fall. I think they will really surprise us in the fall.

BCU- As we seen They had trouble with JSU If they can't handle a top swac band bcu is going to be in trouble. Their song selection will get them bood and killed in any fifth . All that dancing and chants will not work in a fifth most swac bands.will end up out shining them in a fifth they do not have the material. However soundwise they will be one if NOT THE BEST sounding SWAC band this fall and biggest also.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
J state need some grown folks on them b tones this year... I’ve been unimpressed the last few years...

Last edited:
I don’t want to get called a hater, so I’ll only speak on ASU.

I am concerned about the steady drop in numbers. That shows a program could be dying as kids get less interested each year.

but there is some new blood being brought on the staff & the new director is also a high school band director in Montgomery, so that could mean better recruiting.

i know I said I was concerned about the numbers drop, but it surprised me a “well known” high school student is choosing to attend Bama State. That could be a sign things are on the way up.

also I’d like to see us return to the aggressive style we had in the late 90s & early-mid 2000s.

but I’m not getting paid by them so it isn’t up to me.

hopefully this extra rehearsal time not only benefits my MMH, but all HBCU bands.

I don’t want to get called a hater, so I’ll only speak on ASU.

I am concerned about the steady drop in numbers. That shows a program could be dying as kids get less interested each year.

but there is some new blood being brought on the staff & the new director is also a high school band director in Montgomery, so that could mean better recruiting.

i know I said I was concerned about the numbers drop, but it surprised me a “well known” high school student is choosing to attend Bama State. That could be a sign things are on the way up.

also I’d like to see us return to the aggressive style we had in the late 90s & early-mid 2000s.

but I’m not getting paid by them so it isn’t up to me.

hopefully this extra rehearsal time not only benefits my MMH, but all HBCU bands.
Speak your mind. .... On all the bands

Speak your mind. .... On all the bands

Gram has been fantastic for the past couple seasons. I look for them to continue to grow.

Alcorn has became a beast. Nobody in the SWAC is touching their trumpet section right now. They just need to stay consistent throughout the year.

JSU has been the top dog for the past couple years, I want to see if they can continue being the best in the SWAC.

PV had a nice sound last year. One of the best in the swac actually. Their problem is getting more people East of the Mississippi to pay attention to them.

MVSU was good last season. I only saw their battle against JSU, but I loved how they stayed in the pocket & didn’t try to play bigger than their size. I need to see more of their battles from last year. I hope they can continue to grow as well.

TxSU is TxSU no matter what size they are. Aggressive & they aren’t scared to battle anyone that’s what I love about the Ocean. Their numbers seem to be going down as well I..I hope everything is alright out there in Houston.

SU was once again one of the best in the nation. I had JSU slightly above them, but even then, no band on earth can touch their arrangements. Only thing I’d fix about them is bringing in more or stronger mellos. A strong mello section used to be a trade mark of the Jukebox, but ever since they switched from baritones to euphoniums, their mellos get drowned out quite a lot.

I can’t speak on AAMU & PB because I didn’t really watch or listen to them, but I’ll check out a few clips tomorrow when I have some free time.

outside the SWAC:

im looking forward to Dega to continue to be that ignorant ass, cranking band. I love that about them.

never really paid attention to Tennessee State until last season, and they should be in everyone’s top 5. They have a nice mix of balance and cranking when they want to.

NCAT sounded amazing as always.

Norfolk is one of my favorite bands outside the SWAC. Their quality isn’t want it was in the early-mid 2000s, but they’re still one of the most unique HBCU bands & I love their sound.

Fort Valley has done a great job recruiting the metro Atlanta area. Hopefully they continue to grow. Seems like they’ve had a strong tuba section since 2004 when I first visited their campus as a high school sophomore.

Kentucky State is another one of my favorite bands. They’re not the biggest, but you wouldn’t be able to tell by how they play. They have a real strong sound. I’d like to see them battle more SWAC schools.

FAMU is FAMU.

Cookman is good sound wise but they’re boring as hell. It won’t be pretty for them in the SWAC at all.

I have to give credit when is is due: Texas Southern has been a underrated program for years; however, they are a solid program a will continue to not back down from anybody even without a Director of Bands. They are the FUNKIEST BAND that still exist. The Kids are doing a Stella Job helping run the program by themselves. They are having FUN doing their tenure and that is what it is all about. Nevertheless; let's not forget the Motion "WOW" Energy, Energy and more ENERGY!!!!! Keep up the good work. Lastly, THE OCEAN; don't stop giving THE FONK!!! and continue to HAVE FUN.

Alabama A&M; The Band is sounding Awesome. You have a Solid and Stable Program that has always had Structure in my book. That is so great how you day viewed your Auxiliary Unit because they are a Major part of the program and they are jamming. The Divas; Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful. Who ever picked that crew did a fantastic job. “My God”
If you know what I mean......... Keep up the great work and don’t look back. Also; the first song is the Bomb
“Triplet 1&2”. Happy Founders Day to each and everyone; stay safe and keep rocking.

When it comes to football and bands, the SWAC has always been my favorite
and add to that list historically...Tennessee State, FAMU, BCU, Norfolk State and A&T.

Within the SWAC,
I have my favorites but honestly, I enjoy ALL of them.
Some years, some have better seasons than others. That changes from time to time.

Overall, I just expect really entertaining shows and great sounds from the SWAC and I'm usually never disappointed.

SIAC? Meh....nobody really stands out. Kentucky State, Benedict and Miles always have good bands.
Miles is probably at the top of the SIAC. The CIAA bands.....just not very interesting for me.

When it comes to football and bands, the SWAC has always been my favorite
and add to that list historically...Tennessee State, FAMU, BCU, Norfolk State and A&T.

Within the SWAC,
I have my favorites but honestly, I enjoy ALL of them.
Some years, some have better seasons than others. That changes from time to time.

Overall, I just expect really entertaining shows and great sounds from the SWAC and I'm usually never disappointed.

SIAC? Meh....nobody really stands out. Kentucky State, Benedict and Miles always have good bands.
Miles is probably at the top of the SIAC. The CIAA bands.....just not very interesting for me.

the SIAC is sneaky good..Miles, Fort Valley, Albany, Kentucky State, Savannah State depending on the year..

I’ll listen to a SIAC battle before a MEAC one. I just wish Clark Atlanta & Morehouse get their acts together when it comes to band.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
atl hornet, CAU and Morehouse just gets worse and worse.
I don't even know why we have a band program anymore.
We can't even get 100 musicians on the field and the college
has never really seemed to care.

the SIAC is sneaky good..Miles, Fort Valley, Albany, Kentucky State, Savannah State depending on the year..

I’ll listen to a SIAC battle before a MEAC one. I just wish Clark Atlanta & Morehouse get their acts together when it comes to band.
I agree that MEAC battles leave a lot to be desired but A&T and Norfolk have had some pretty good battles. FAMU and A&T have had some good ones too.

Back