BandHeads!

LAW DAWG

TSU LOVE
I noticed that for all the conversation I hear about bands, unlike with sports teams where there is mention of top head coaching candidates, you all in the band community seldom if at all mention top band director candidates. Is there even a such thing in the band world, if so who are they?

Last edited:
Miles College comes to mind - they’ve held their own by far

you rarely see schools pluck assistants off successful staffs though - they’ll go left and get someone from way out.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Miles College comes to mind - they’ve held their own by far

you rarely see schools pluck assistants off successful staffs though - they’ll go left and get someone from way out.
Interesting, and explains a lot. I know for years I would hear about the late Doc Greggs (SU), late Prof Edwards (PVU) and Prof Butler (TSU), but would not hear much about those on their staffs being sought after to go elsewhere.

Interesting, and explains a lot. I know for years I would hear about the late Doc Greggs (SU), late Prof Edwards (PVU) and Prof Butler (TSU), but would not hear much about those on their staffs being sought after to go elsewhere.

I remember Knighten at SU telling us Alabama State wanted him but he turned it down and it was personal for him. Roy Johnson at Southern went to

Butler’s best assistant became Ronald Thornton and we know what he did in high school. He had a lot of high school directors in the city and other states.

Prof has an assistant, Mark Gordon, at Langston.

but overall, the positions rarely open in the SWAC and most will stay in house and bump up an assistant folks like to protect tradition than look for the best upcoming assistant.

Tennessee State already has several Crat alums on college staffs:

Head directors

Coz Smith - Lane College
Jonathan Thompson- Fort Valley State
Chris Jefferson - Coahoma CC

Assistant directors

James Sexton - Tennessee State (been there for years)
Larry Jenkins - Tennessee State
Andre Newsom - Tennessee State
Mario Warren - Alabama A&M
Bryan Nalls - Miles College
Kyron Potts - Tennessee State (percussion)
Vince Smith - Coahoma CC (percussion)

Should be on a college staff right now

Mike Cowans (was at Talladega last year)

Those are just off the top of my head...

I noticed that for all the conversation I hear about bands, unlike with sports teams where there is mention of top head coaching candidates, you all in the band community seldom if at all mention top band director candidates. Is there even a such thing in the band world, if so who are they?

the top candidate is about to go to federal prison smh.

Clarence Gibson who left TxSU in the middle of last season should be at the top of anyone’s list

the top candidate is about to go to federal prison smh.

Clarence Gibson who left TxSU in the middle of last season should be at the top of anyone’s list

SMH....you band guys are a different breed. A number of you criticized Gibson relentlessly over the years, so how is it he should be at the top of any list now? Was the criticism unfair?

Last edited:
SMH....you band guys are a different breed. A number of you criticized Gibson relentlessly over the years, so how is it he should be at the top of any list now? Was the criticism unfair?
Lol I never criticized the brother for anything..that was probably someone from another band. The Ocean has always been one of my favorite bands no matter their size or who their head director is.

he’s talented at what he does. Anyone who can lead a SWAC marching band should be a highly sought after candidate. I don’t know what happened at TxSU, but I wish Gibson and whoever takes over the role of head director at TxSU l

Tennessee State already has several Crat alums on college staffs:

Head directors

Coz Smith - Lane College
Jonathan Thompson- Fort Valley State
Chris Jefferson - Coahoma CC

Assistant directors

James Sexton - Tennessee State (been there for years)
Larry Jenkins - Tennessee State
Andre Newsom - Tennessee State
Mario Warren - Alabama A&M
Bryan Nalls - Miles College
Kyron Potts - Tennessee State (percussion)
Vince Smith - Coahoma CC (percussion)

Should be on a college staff right now

Mike Cowans (was at Talladega last year)

Those are just off the top of my head...

I left off Devanon Fitzgerald at MVSU. He had some great arrangements for them this year!

Back