Houston Chronicle's Coverage of TSU/PV (Football 2020)

MUMFORD

Master Tiger Fricasseer
So I just scanned the Chronicles' "Football 2000" publication. Apparently they forgot that Texas Southern and Prairie View have football programs. Now granted the coverage of UT, A&M, U of H, and Rice was pretty week, they somehow managed to have a feature on Houston Baptist.

Pretty pathetic and one of the many reasons I never paid money for that rag.

So I just scanned the Chronicles' "Football 2000" publication. Apparently they forgot that Texas Southern and Prairie View have football programs. Now granted the coverage of UT, A&M, U of H, and Rice was pretty week, they somehow managed to have a feature on Houston Baptist.

Pretty pathetic and one of the many reasons I never paid money for that rag.

There was a little deal about spring - but considering no season I’m not surprised. That football preview section in the 90’s used to be 6 sections by itself.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
The Chronicle is doing the same ole same when it comes to HBCU coverage in anything. Just wait until there is something negative to cover, and as usual they'll be like buzzards swirling over fresh road kill aiming to make it a four to five day feature story.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Isn't PV and TSU part of the SWAC. they aren't playing until Spring....several months away. What's to write/report?

Grant it, I think the Houston Chronicle should do better but have to disagree with this post. I'm a subscriber and the Chronicle DID include TSU and PV in the preseason writings along with the other Texas programs.

There was also an article printed announcing that the SWAC postponed football until spring. HBU is playing 4 games this fall all against FBS opponents and being covered.

In the HBU articles, it mentioned TSU's game against HBU had to be replaced.

Honestly, I would like to see more articles on our website by our SID providing updates on our football program. I think I have seen 4 articles in the last 3 months.

Grant it, I think the Houston Chronicle should do better but have to disagree with this post. I'm a subscriber and the Chronicle DID include TSU and PV in the preseason writings along with the other Texas programs.

There was also an article printed announcing that the SWAC postponed football until spring. HBU is playing 4 games this fall all against FBS opponents and being covered.

Honestly, I would like to see more articles on our website by our SID providing updates on our football program. I think I have seen 4 articles in the last 3 months.
You said exactly what I was thinking

You said exactly what I was thinking

Contact the SID and make your request known, his email is easy to find. Here you go: ryan.mcginty@tsu.edu

Raoul you don't live here in Houston so you're missing a perspective. Notice, Mumford mentioned HBCU coverage in the area. Unlike other conference schools where there is a major daily TSU and PVU have never had beat writers from the Chronicle to cover their programs. This includes all other sports as well, not just football. The Chronicle has beat writers for UH and Rice. Whether they have something good to write or not they find a way to make a story weekly.

Something else to consider is It really makes a difference when trying to keep fans and supporters engaged to have weekly coverage, especially during football and basketball season, but off season coverage also plays a pivotal tole. AddItionally, it keeps that casual fan informed that has enough interest to want to know what's going on but, is not enough of a fan to search school athletic sites.

Last edited:

Well, look who has showed up. Where on Earth have you been?? LOL!!

It seems that TSU and PV together could approach the Chron about assigning one beat writer to cover both programs, for starters.

It seems that TSU and PV together could approach the Chron about assigning one beat writer to cover both programs, for starters.

I think approaching the managing/executive editor and the sports editor would be a good start. But suggesting they assign a reporter to specifically cover a beat will be very difficult if you don't know the structure of the sports department. I think it's fair to ask, though.

I agree, it also seems that the combined subscriptions between both schools would be enough leverage to get it done.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
The Chronicle is doing the same ole same when it comes to HBCU coverage in anything. Just wait until there is something negative to cover, and as usual they'll be like buzzards swirling over fresh road kill aiming to make it a four to five day feature story.

The Richmond Times-Dispatch does the same with Virginia State and Virginia Union here in Richmond, VA.

Back