U.S.OPEN

Raoul

This player Haley Baptiste is strong. I'd really like to see her move the ball around a little bit more and cut down on the unforced errors even if she has to give up a little bit of power.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

:clap:

Naomi Osaka wears mask honoring Breonna Taylor at U.S. Open. She hopes to wear 6 more with different names

I see that Alexandra Stevenson, Dr J's daughter, is doing analysis/commentary on ESPN for the U.S. Open. She looks as if that is the last place she wants to be, but maybe that is just her personality.

The young guy from Canada, Felix Auger Aliassime, is looking pretty good so far.

@Olde Hornet, what do you think of James Blake's commentary/analysis? 😄 I think he is ok. With practice, he will get better. Same with Alexandra Stevenson.

I agree with you about Felix, I have been watching him for a few years. I have attended some of his matches at the US Open. I am missing my planned trip to the US Open this year. Coronavirus ---> :mad::mad::mad:

Blake has had a small role for a few years on the Tennis Channel. He is OK, Stevenson did it a few years ago, but I have not seen her in a while, she has to get back into the swing of things.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
He seemed rather stiff to me

That might be true, but so far, he is winning. He is young, he still has a long way to go. I don't think he will win the tournament, but he can make his presence felt. Give him a few years, well, who knows.

That might be true, but so far, he is winning. He is young, he still has a long way to go. I don't think he will win the tournament, but he can make his presence felt. Give him a few years, well, who knows.
No not Felix but Blake

No not Felix but Blake

Oh. Ok. My bad. I thought you were referring to Felix. I agree with you on Blake. Like I said he is ok and the same with with Stevenson. They will get better. The more you do a job, the better you become at it. Well, that is the way it should be. LOL!!!

Big story from Sunday

They did the right thing, no excuses. I am a Novak fan, but he knows the consequences what happens when this happen.

NOVAK OUT!

Social Media response:

Last edited:
4 American women remain in the second week.

Sofia Kenin

Shelby Rogers

Jennifer Brady

Serena Williams

1 American man

Frances Tiafoe

4 players of color

Women
:nod:

Serena Williams

Naomi Osaka

Men:
:nod:

Frances Tiafoe

Felix Auger-Aliassime

Serena Williams tops Maria Sakkari to reach QFs at 2020 US Open

https://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/a...ria_sakkari_to_reach_qfs_at_2020_us_open.html

WHAT HAPPENED: In a rematch of their third-round contest at the Western & Southern Open nearly two weeks ago, No. 3 Serena Williams avenged her loss to Greece's Maria Sakkari with a highly competitive 6-3, 6-7, 6-3 win on Labor Day to advance into the quarterfinals of the 2020 US Open.

The win allows Williams to stay on track for a record-tying 24 major titles, and marks her 17th career showing at the US Open's final eight.

Despite the pressure of playing a fourth-round match against one of the greats in Arthur Ashe Stadium, Sakkari proved unshakeable. Only a single break of serve separated the two players through the first two sets of play, as the Greek produced a performance that matched Williams' intensity and power.

Frances Tiafoe takes next generation of Black players under his wing
:bow:

https://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/a...neration_of_black_players_under_his_wing.html

rowing up at the Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, Md., where his immigrant father worked as head of maintenance, Frances Tiafoe spent many long days and nights perfecting his game against anyone who would hit with him.

Coming from an underprivileged background, he may not have had the best equipment, or even the latest clothing, but Tiafoe knew the rewards of hard work. In fact, he’s seen it take him all the way to tennis’ Top 30.

Now, as a successful player on the ATP Tour, amid the movement that puts Black lives at the forefront of social conversation, Tiafoe is doing his part to get involved in the careers of up-and-coming Black and minority players because he understands how critical it is for them to have a mentor they can relate to.

Back