Mr. Commish: FAMU at SU 2021

Earle

SU played at FAMU in 2019 as a non-conference game. Due to COVID19, SU canceled the game with the understanding that FAMU would visit SU at a later date. In the meantime, SWAC expansion embraced FAMU as a member instition beginning in 2021. It is only fair that when the 2021 SWAC schedule is composed, FAMU should play at Baton Rouge and not the reverse.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Dude really? You couldn’t email him this?

It's just a ploy for them to make up for their own school's cancellation of the 2020 non conference game. There's no make up for this to be made by the conference on their part.

If the conference goes to a conference games only format, it would be a conference cancellation, since FAMU won't be a part of the SWAC not until 2021.

If the conference goes to a conference games only format, it would be a conference cancellation, since FAMU won't be a part of the SWAC not until 2021.

Confused statement...

Ok... just didn’t understand your previous response.

To me it sounded like they are claiming that game as a conference game and if conference goes to a conference only schedule they should get credit for it and get to play them in 2021 as a makeup for their cancellation of the game.

Please, your alums on this board are embarrassed as hell the reason more have not responded.

I did go back and analyze this thread as well as the comments that followed. I suppose that I can understand why some might see it as being distasteful or unwarranted. And I do acknowledge that perhaps I could have accomphlished my objective with a different approach and/or with different phraseology. Nonetheless, if one finds the comments offensive or distasteful, then one should, in my opinion, just ignore same. That is an option, you know! That's what I do all the time! Even when you, sir, post material that I disagree with or find distasteful, I simply ignore it! No attacks, no words injurious! After all, what purpose has your comments served? You can't erase them and you can't delete them! So, you really should just............ Civil discourse should always be the preferred option

Last edited:
I apologize Earle if you feel you are being attacked; your lecture is unwarranted as well. As a chat board we are all subject to comments on our postings and you are no exception to that rule. I have much love for SU since one of my kids graduated from there. However, I disagree with the notion of the HBCU privilege card for a rescheduled game.

Last edited:
I agree with Earle somewhat but this is a non-conference issue and the conference should not get involved. This is just like when JSU played GSU in 2017. That was an OOC game. GSU and JSU could not find a date to play in 2018 so GSU owed us a game. GSU came to Jackson in 2019. Had GSU rotated on our schedule in 2019 as a conference game, GSU would STILL owe us a OOC game. Im sure that SU an FAMU have a contract so FAMU owes SU a game UNLESS SU cancelling the game negates the contract. If that is the case, there is not case for FAMU to come to SU first and that is not conference business. SU cancelled the game so aside from simply trying to play fair, I dont think SU owes FAMU anything. SU should have waited to see what the college world does before cancelling games. Also, who knows in cancelling the game SU and FAMU could have renegotiated the contract. So the next time SU and FAMU are not conference games, you will get that FAMU game in BR! :)

Due to circumstances beyond the control of both schools and the SWAC, some might call it privilege, but other would call it fairness. Unfortunately, due to COVID-19, SU will lose its non-conference home game against FAMU. Now that FAMU would be in the SWAC starting the season of 2021, Earle's recommendation to the SWAC Commissioner is to have the first conference game between SU and FAMU played at SU, if and when that may occur. But if SU and FAMU decides to play a non-conference game first at SU, then there is no need to ask for fairness with a conference game first at SU. This is no different when folks on this board were having a cow because SU pulled out of McNeese’s home game to play FAMU in Atlanta, even though the contract obligation was met with the payout.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Well, after getting that new information, I think it was a bad business move on SUs part and SU just has to deal with it. In all likelihood, college football and OOC games will be cancelled. In that regard, the SU-FAMU contract should have still been executable in the future. FAMU signing with JSU shows their willingness to play so with SU cancelling, FAMU wouldnt owe them anything and this is not a conference matter so the conference should stay out of it. The W here goes to FAMU.

As I previously stated, it was Earle's way of recommending to the Commissioner some type of fairness once FAMU has become a full fledged member of the SWAC in 2021.

Also, now that Florida has pretty much become the epicenter of this pandemic, I can't see how any school would be so desperate to schedule a Florida school, even if the game is not played in Florida.

Wouldn’t be fair for the conference to make a decision based on something that had nothing to do with them in the first place. Y’all took off FAMU for Florida Memorial, which never made sense to begin with. Regardless, MEAC has canceled all their football games for the year so it really doesn’t matter at this point.

Wouldn’t be fair for the conference to make a decision based on something that had nothing to do with them in the first place. Y’all took off FAMU for Florida Memorial, which never made sense to begin with. Regardless, MEAC has canceled all their football games for the year so it really doesn’t matter at this point.

Actually, Morehouse was originally scheduled for the Oct. 31 home date ... but they dropped out and Florida Memorial was added.

But you're right ... it really doesn't matter at this point.

The SWAC conference just decided to allow FAMU to host JSU in Miami in 2021. Why wasn't FAMU made to return to JSU as a conference member in 2021? The answer is that the non-conference contract between JSU and FAMU to play in Jackson in 2020 was taken into consideration. This is exactly the situation with SU and FAMU that gave rise to this thread. How can it be such a wonderful idea for JSU and FAMU, but such a bad idea for SU and FAMU? If FAMU does not visit Baton Rouge in 2021, then there is some bias somewhere.

The SWAC conference just decided to allow FAMU to host JSU in Miami in 2021. Why wasn't FAMU made to return to JSU as a conference member in 2021? The answer is that the non-conference contract between JSU and FAMU to play in Jackson in 2020 was taken into consideration. This is exactly the situation with SU and FAMU that gave rise to this thread. How can it be such a wonderful idea for JSU and FAMU, but such a bad idea for SU and FAMU? If FAMU does not visit Baton Rouge in 2021, then there is some bias somewhere.
but we don't know anything about the jsu-famu matchup. is it a non conference game? no one has told us that. In regard to SU-FAMU, what if SU is a permanent crossover team for FAMU? then SU would never get that home game back.

but we don't know anything about the jsu-famu matchup. is it a non conference game? no one has told us that. In regard to SU-FAMU, what if SU is a permanent crossover team for FAMU? then SU would never get that home game back.

How can FAMU/JSU schedule a match-up without knowing what their conference schedule is going be?

They are gonna be in the same division so it wouldn't matter. The only 2 schools that are being looked at to move to the West is Valley and Alcorn.
thought that was still speculation. didn't know that had been confirmed. then that non conference home game for su is gone forever & any talk of them playing non conference doesn't make sense unless it's been suggested that they play 2x in one season.

Back