Cortez Hankton... (Texas Southern)

Mrwiregrass

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
MWG, you have to understand TSU football is where it is for a reason. I brought up Cortez name as a possible coaching hire and one of our pro marble shooting alums proceeded to disparage the man.

Congrats to alum Cortez Hankton and all he has accomplished since leaving Texas Southern University.

Last edited:
MWG, you have to understand TSU football is where it is for a reason. I brought up Cortez name as a possible coaching hire and one of our pro marble shooting alums proceeded to disparage the man.

Congrats to alum Cortez Hankton and all he has accomplished since leaving Texas Southern University.

I remember him in 2002 putting up crazy number against SWAC opponents.

this is why we need to move the conference up. then we can get guys like him back and give them their shot. they want and deserve that 375k salary but we can't pay it on this level.

It’s more than the money for them personally - every time a lower FBS hires from a Power 5 they end up breaking the bank in negotiations as you gotta pay the coach, who then wants his staff compensated at a higher rate and then it moves over to recruiting budgets and facility upgrades.

then a lot will play the negotiation game if they have a good season and one mention of a power 5 offer brings you back to the table for even more money.

we can afford him now - but tack on the extra stuff then that’s where you begin to hit brick walls financially

Trust me we know how you feel at Valley when Sam Washington WANTED the job shortcomings and all but others decided to go in another direction smh

It’s more than the money for them personally - every time a lower FBS hires from a Power 5 they end up breaking the bank in negotiations as you gotta pay the coach, who then wants his staff compensated at a higher rate and then it moves over to recruiting budgets and facility upgrades.

then a lot will play the negotiation game if they have a good season and one mention of a power 5 offer brings you back to the table for even more money.

we can afford him now - but tack on the extra stuff then that’s where you begin to hit brick walls financially
I agree that at some point they will become too expensive but that ok. It works for us because he's a good coach & helps build our program. It works for them because it opens the door for these guys to get their huge pay check. We could and should be the launching pad for nearly every great black coach. Florida doesn't want to give you a chance? Come one home, win here. Beat them & they'll come back around with a check.

Brother Cortez is getting paid...updated 2019 salary $550,000 base salary...

Cortez Hankton, Georgia

YEARPOSITIONSCHOOLSCHOOL PAYOTHERTOTALMAX BONUSPRIOR YEAR’S BONUSES PAID
2019AssistantGeorgia$550,000$5,500$555,500$195,000--
2018AssistantGeorgia$375,000$0$375,000$180,000$0
2017AssistantVanderbilt$0$0$0$0$0
2016AssistantVanderbilt$0$0$0$0--
2015AssistantVanderbilt$0$0$0$0

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Trust me we know how you feel at Valley when Sam Washington WANTED the job shortcomings and all but others decided to go in another direction smh

Sam Washington wouldnt win a game at Valley. You Valley people refuse to tackle your problem.

If a guy really wants to be a HC, he will take a pay cut. NOW NOT from 500K but the Tin Man took a cut to come to THEE.

Back