More Game Cancellations are Emerging

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
Four games involving historically black colleges and universities were canceled, in part illustrating an economic difficulty for games played at neutral sites.

Two neutral-site games — Southern University versus Tennessee State in Detroit on Sept. 5 and Jackson State versus Tennessee State a week later in Memphis — have been canceled along with Southern’s home game on Sept. 12 against Florida A&M. Jackson State also was forced to cancel its Sept. 5 season opener against Langston University, because Langston and other N.A.I.A. schools have been prohibited from playing before Sept. 12.

Dozens of games have already been canceled at the lower levels of college football with Division II schools placing a 10-game limit on the season, and N.A.I.A. pushing its start date back two weeks, but these games are the first at the Division I level to be quashed.

The cancellation of the Southern Heritage Classic in Memphis — the only decision that has been publicly announced — and the Detroit Classic underscore the financial vulnerability of neutral-site games during the pandemic, especially ones that are not underwritten by ESPN and thus depend more on live fans attending. A decision on the Sept. 6 game between Central State and Howard at the Pro Football Hall of Fame stadium in Canton, Ohio, will be made by July 1, according to an official briefed on the decision.

Dennis Thomas, the commissioner of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, said that ESPN planned to still go forward with a game between one of his conference’s schools, South Carolina State, and Grambling, on Sept. 6 at the Atlanta Braves’ former stadium.

“If you don’t have the backing of a multimedia company, the numbers are not going to make sense,” Thomas said.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
OK the 2020 season is officially back in doubt for me.

At best it will be just conference games

That depends on your perspective. I love football, but I care about the young men out there representing our universities more. The band, cheerleaders, and the lot. I'll buy a season ticket w/ no expectation of a game actually occuring to support the university.

I think you've made assumptions from my post. It has nothing to do with not caring for the athletes or anyone for that matter. It's not good news simply because it's not good news for anyone involved...

They need to be checked when they first get on campus to make sure they don't have it and possibly quanrentine for safety sake. Don't be like UH and let these student athletes just return and start working out.

There lies the problem - and the biggest to figure out

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
They need to be checked when they first get on campus to make sure they don't have it and possibly quanrentine for safety sake. Don't be like UH and let these student athletes just return and start working out.
Budget issues for smaller schools.

Won't work. They do leave the campus...Tech had physicians and nurses checking temps and a football player still got it.

Won't work. They do leave the campus...Tech had physicians and nurses checking temps and a football player still got it.

Why?
I'm talking about testing them when they first return to campus and before they start working out. You give them physicals before camp start, why not test them. Temp checks doesn't do a thing but shows you don't have a fever.

Why?
I'm talking about testing them when they first return to campus and before they start working out. You give them physicals before camp start, why not test them. Temp checks doesn't do a thing but shows you don't have a fever.
They'd have to buy a couple hundred rapid tests. Big programs could afford though I'm sure.

Why?

Because they will not be always on the campus. Right now it is absolutely too dangerous. There are college students who believe this is a governmental hoax. I personally don't want football season to start or any on campus classes. All universities should go to online courses. The powers that be are concerned about money but as I asked earlier how much is a student athlete worth?

Because they will not be always on the campus. Right now it is absolutely too dangerous. There are college students who believe this is a governmental hoax. I personally don't want football season to start or any on campus classes. All universities should go to online courses. The powers that be are concerned about money but as I asked earlier how much is a student athlete worth?

No football in the fall would be a death knell to a lot of other sports. We’ve already seen it this spring.

And we can’t forget these athletic department staffs, too. They’re either gonna have to go on furlough or be outright let go.

The bottom line is going to matter a bunch

No football in the fall would be a death knell to a lot of other sports. We’ve already seen it this spring.

And we can’t forget these athletic department staffs, too. They’re either gonna have to go on furlough or be outright let go.

The bottom line is going to matter a bunch

Again how much is a student athlete's life worth?

Look imagine a COVID19 outbreak in a rural community where some of these colleges and universities are located....no one i thinking about the future HEALTH of human life but the money to be made.

Back