Report: Tennessee State could lose $750K if games against Southern, Jackson State are canceled

I'm surprised that you didn't do a FOI on this to verify the amount they are saying is correct. I know the SHC was paying out 350K but what is the Detroit Classic paying?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Truth be told, this will be an issue for every athletic department. When P5 schools are expressing concerns over the loss of revenue from football and basketball, the hit to lesser FBS and all FCS schools will be tragic. In the face of doing everything possible to save lives, the sobering reality is that if college football and basketball aren't played this upcoming season, some schools' athletic departments will suffer irreparable damage.

I'm surprised that you didn't do a FOI on this to verify the amount they are saying is correct. I know the SHC was paying out 350K but what is the Detroit Classic paying?
There was no need for me to do a FOI. I'm referencing a report that indicates the school is going to lose $750K. On top of that, AD Phillips is quoted indicating that her program is going to lose $750K. As the AD, why would she lie about that?

Last edited:
Truth be told, this will be an issue for every athletic department. When P5 schools are expressing concerns over the loss of revenue from football and basketball, the hit to lesser FBS and all FCS schools will be tragic. In the face of doing everything possible to save lives, the sobering reality is that if college football and basketball aren't played this upcoming season, some schools' athletic departments will suffer irreparable damage.

I said this on Facebook. The SWAC (and HBCUs in general) aren't the only ones hoping there is a season. The damage that could be done this season to athletic departments on our level could be devastating

I'm hoping this is a wake up call to Valley alums who wanna be tight with money but expect Alcorn like results with 60-65% of what Alcorn has. Valley would easily lose over a million just from no football (no gate/concessions,etc, coaches salaries, etc.)

Yes, it would hurt all programs regardless of conference. HBCU's wont have the guarantee games and teams like Bama St wont have the Labor Day Classic vs Tuskegee. It will hurt everyone including FBS and FCS.

There was no need for me to do a FOI. I'm referencing a report that indicates the school is going to lose $750K. On top of that, AD Phillips is quoted indicating that her program is going to lose $750K. As the AD, why would she lie about that?

Like you ain't never heard AD's inflate numbers......
I just want to see a real number in reference to payouts since they said those 2 classics specifically. I can see them losing at least 400K from the SHC but how much are they really getting from the Detroit Classic. I can't see it being more than 150K after expenses.

I just want to see a real number in reference to payouts since they said those 2 classics specifically. I can see them losing at least 400K from the SHC but how much are they really getting from the Detroit Classic. I can't see it being more than 150K after expenses.
I don't understand how this is even up for debate. If you can "see them losing at $400K from the SHC," how is it unrealistic for them not to make $350K in a classic game that involves Southern and Tenn State, played in the blackest city in America, and on top of that played in a domed stadium. Come on brother! That is not far fetched. :rolleyes:

I don't understand how this is even up for debate. If you can "see them losing at $400K from the SHC," how is it unrealistic for them not to make $350K in a classic game that involves Southern and Tenn State, played in the blackest city in America, and on top of that played in a domed stadium. Come on brother! That is not far fetched. :rolleyes:

I agree! Don't see the need for Freedom of Information request!

HBCU ADs need to come up with contingency plans now. At this point, it's very unlikely we will a fall athletic season as planned.

And as I mentioned before, if by a miracle the season happens ... the recession will severely cut revenue for most schools that's not in a P5 conference.

Just know, SU wouldn’t play in a Classic for 150K.

Just know, SU wouldn’t play in a Classic for 150K.

tenor.gif

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Back