24-HOUR BLACK NEWS CHANNEL TO LAUNCH IN NOVEMBER

Everett Pulliam Jr

Black News Channel (BNC) will be a unique multi-platform news and information channel created for African Americans, subscription television’s most dynamic, high growth, and loyal consumers.

J.C. Watts, Jr. is Black News Channel’s chairman and visionary. He is also chairman of the J.C. Watts Companies, a multi-industry holding company headquartered in Washington, DC, with operations in Texas and Oklahoma.

Despite the proliferation of basic and premium cable television channels during the past two decades, the number of cable news networks dedicated to serving the nation’s African American communities remains at ZERO! Black News Channel will be the nation’s first channel to fill this significant void and provide African America viewers news, information, and educational content focused on their interests and needs while tapping into subscription television’s most profitable market.

Americans begin this new year with no Black-owned full-power TV stations. In 2008, there were 18 Black-owned and operated full-power TV stations, representing just 1.3 percent of all TV licenses. Today, all 18 stations are gone.

http://www.pasadenablackpages.com/2...EhHbz-eyLjIzWsflkVfhH-8fprvwJGPWo-21SCylLGQf4

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Same thing I said.

Will this be a Black Fox news? Just asking for a couple of friends.

I don't believe it would be successful with a conservative slant (not saying that's the intent). I remember OWN had ideas initially and not knowing where their bread was buttered and had to change that mindset or face failure.

I believe they will attempt to go in a profitable direction, so that rules out what plays for conservatism these days if they plan to gain from their investment. It is too bad that too many black folks have allowed themselves be caught up and blinded by the democrat/republican polemic. With the programming being subscription based there is viable way they can afford to get caught up in the repub/demo game.

I hope they become successful at it as long as they are well intentioned. Here is what they claim to want to do:

What makes BNC’s news different from existing cable news services, such as CNN, Fox News or MSNBC?

BNC is the only television news network with news programming gathered, written, and produced “by black people for black people.”

Existing broadcast and cable news networks select news stories and events that appeal to the broadest audience possible. BNC will provide coverage of events and activities of specific interest and cultural significance to African Americans.

BNC’s mission is to offer programming that will “inform, educate, inspire and empower the African American community.”

African Americans are very loyal to television programming that features black cast members or black journalists, as well as networks operated by black people.

BNC’s partnership with the Historical Black Colleges & Universities and the development of its state-of-the-art news headquarters and media training center will enable the network to train the next generation of aspiring journalists in advanced newsgathering and production technologies.

OUR GOALS:

At launch, BNC will work to meet the following goals:

1. Give voice to an underserved community;

2. Build bridges to connect the many diverse cultures in our nation;

3. Facilitate a more informed national conversation about challenges facing our urban communities;

4. Engage black viewers in our nation’s social, economic and political discussions and debates;

5. Create a platform for black newsmakers and policymakers to reach their constituents;

6. Showcase African American achievers creating positive role models for black youth;

7. Produce educational programming that is culturally relevant and specific to black viewers;

8. Inspire black viewers with uplifting and spiritual messages produced daily;

9. Preserve a proud black American heritage; and

10. Recruit and train aspiring black journalists.

Last edited:
I believe they will attempt to go in a profitable direction, so that rules out what plays for conservatism these days if they plan to gain from their investment. It is too bad that too many black folks have allowed themselves be caught up and blinded by the democrat/republican polemic. With the programming being subscription based there is viable way they can afford to get caught up in the repub/demo game.

I hope they become successful at it as long as they are well intentioned. Here is what they claim to want to do:

What makes BNC’s news different from existing cable news services, such as CNN, Fox News or MSNBC?

BNC is the only television news network with news programming gathered, written, and produced “by black people for black people.”

Existing broadcast and cable news networks select news stories and events that appeal to the broadest audience possible. BNC will provide coverage of events and activities of specific interest and cultural significance to African Americans.

BNC’s mission is to offer programming that will “inform, educate, inspire and empower the African American community.”

African Americans are very loyal to television programming that features black cast members or black journalists, as well as networks operated by black people.

BNC’s partnership with the Historical Black Colleges & Universities and the development of its state-of-the-art news headquarters and media training center will enable the network to train the next generation of aspiring journalists in advanced newsgathering and production technologies.

OUR GOALS:

At launch, BNC will work to meet the following goals:

1. Give voice to an underserved community;

2. Build bridges to connect the many diverse cultures in our nation;

3. Facilitate a more informed national conversation about challenges facing our urban communities;

4. Engage black viewers in our nation’s social, economic and political discussions and debates;

5. Create a platform for black newsmakers and policymakers to reach their constituents;

6. Showcase African American achievers creating positive role models for black youth;

7. Produce educational programming that is culturally relevant and specific to black viewers;

8. Inspire black viewers with uplifting and spiritual messages produced daily;

9. Preserve a proud black American heritage; and

10. Recruit and train aspiring black journalists.
I really hope you are correct.

The article said: J.C. Watts is BNC's chairman and visionary. Ok.
The article said: BNC was created for African Americans. Ok. Thats cool.
The article said: the subjects will be written and produced by black people for black people. Ok.

Now, my question is, and maybe I should not be concern about this, but, who actually owns BNC? The article says nothing about actually ownership.

The article said: the subjects will be written and produced by black people for black people. Ok.

Now, my question is, and maybe I should not be concern about this, but, who actually owns BNC? The article says nothing about actually ownership.
Hmmmmmm

There very well may be some minority partners who are not black involved with this, but I'd be surprised if JC Watts (as the chairman) and owner of his holding company isn't the primary owner.

Past and Current Clients of JC Watts Companies

Aetna
Albany State University
AT & T
Bethany Christian Services
Black Farmers and Agriculturalists
Bowl Championship Series
Coalition for AIDS Relief in Africa
CompuCredit
Deep Gulf Energy, LLC
Falcon Properties < Ferris State University
FM Policy Focus