stu looking to leave SWAC for Southland?

Because it's been known for the last 5+ years that the SLC actually wants PVAMU due to its system connectivity AND its current growing trend academically and athletically. The regional travel schedule vs the SWAC travel schedule/budget/time related, all of that is a given that the SLC would be a better fit for PVAMU, as it would also sTu.

The SWAC, as it stands today, is a conference that is purely legacy driven vs financially driven. The distance between PVAMU and AAMU.... PVAMU and Alabama State U... financially senseless. There is nothing "western" about Alabama lol.

East-division super conference:
Grambling State
Southern
McNeese
Nichols St
NwST
SELA
SFA

West-division super conference:
PVAMU
sTu
Lamar
HBU
SHSU
IWU
ACU

Travel friendly, budget friendly, regional natural rivalries, divisional rivalries, ... *whistling*

Your folks who like to hob nob in Houston and front at Pappadeauxs for the weekend would want to. The SU-TSU game has always been more attractive than the PV-SU game for whatever reason. The data proves it.

Plus you have a chance at a OOC win.
Trust me, they wouldn’t play TSU.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Because it's been known for the last 5+ years that the SLC actually wants PVAMU due to its system connectivity AND its current growing trend academically and athletically. The regional travel schedule vs the SWAC travel schedule/budget/time related, all of that is a given that the SLC would be a better fit for PVAMU, as it would also sTu.

The SWAC, as it stands today, is a conference that is purely legacy driven vs financially driven. The distance between PVAMU and AAMU.... PVAMU and Alabama State U... financially senseless. There is nothing "western" about Alabama lol.

Grambling State
Southern
McNeese
Nichols St
NwST
SELA
SFA

PVAMU
sTu
Lamar
HBU
SHSU
IWU
ACU

Travel friendly, budget friendly, regional natural rivalries, divisional rivalries, ... *whistling*
Hell no for SU. You don’t make a lateral move.

Calm down you internet ADs who think you know Texas Southern business. The Southland Conference approached me and our then Athletic Director (Alois Blackwell) about joining the conference back in 2005/2006.

Can't get much worse. But I agree otherwise

It definitely can get worse. More TSU people will watch TSU play Grambling versus say a McNeese State ... any year. At least with Grambling you can expect to see an entertaining band battle and a more fun tailgate experience. Blacks and Whites don't mix well socially ... never have and never will. About the most we can do well together is work but that's about it.

Do you feel that the SWAC a better conference? Just asking.

Yes, for football especially. I think men's basketball is about tied. The Southland has bigger schools but their attendance on average is about the same for the SWAC outside football. I think Southland baseball may draw a bigger following at times but that's about it

Last edited:

Grambling State
Southern
McNeese
Nichols St
NwST
SELA
SFA

PVAMU
sTu
Lamar
HBU
SHSU
IWU
ACU

There's nothing eastern about TAMU, University of Arkansas and University of Missouri in the SEC lol

AAMU and ASU were not original members of the conference due to their location etc but I'm glad they are present and would be sad if they left. I actually would like to see Tuskegee and Tennessee State join

Lamar would be East before SFA in the Southland with that line-up. And even if TSU DID move to Southland, any swac or hbcu we schedule would play us and not Balk and if they did, who cares? We wouldn't lose out by no longer playing southern if we moved to the southland. And for football.... Ummm... Just strictly speaking on sports and not money and attendance, yes, right now the southland is "better" albeit slightly.

There's nothing eastern about TAMU, University of Arkansas and University of Missouri in the SEC lol

AAMU and ASU were not original members of the conference due to their location etc but I'm glad they are present and would be sad if they left. I actually would like to see Tuskegee and Tennessee State join

$$$ rich sec schools vs cash-strapped SWAC schools. They can call themselves whatever they like.

From a travel, budget, and time standpoint, it's senseless for PVAMU and sTu to travel all the way to Alabama for "conference play."

Lamar would be East before SFA in the Southland with that line-up. And even if TSU DID move to Southland, any swac or hbcu we schedule would play us and not Balk and if they did, who cares? We wouldn't lose out by no longer playing southern if we moved to the southland. And for football.... Ummm... Just strictly speaking on sports and not money and attendance, yes, right now the southland is "better" albeit slightly.

Keep SFA and SHSU in differing divisions.

It definitely can get worse. More TSU people will watch TSU play Grambling versus say a McNeese State ... any year. At least with Grambling you can expect to see an entertaining band battle and a more fun tailgate experience. Blacks and Whites don't mix well socially ... never have and never will. About the most we can do well together is work but that's about it.

Yes, for football especially. I think men's basketball is about tied. The Southland has bigger schools but their attendance on average is about the same for the SWAC outside football. I think Southland baseball may draw a bigger following at times but that's about it

What makes you think the SWAC, (which by the way has a losing record against the Southland) is better in football? Grambling has the highest winning percentage against the Southland, and it’s still not a winning record. The SWAC is arguably the worst conference in FCS.

What makes you think the SWAC, (which by the way has a losing record against the Southland) is better in football? Grambling has the highest winning percentage against the Southland, and it’s still not a winning record. The SWAC is arguably the worst conference in FCS.
I don't think he means better on the field. Just a better situation overall.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
sTu powers that be might be disgruntled because they can't participate in the FCS playoffs. I say grant them a waiver so they can get an at large bid and fulfill their dream up winning a National Title in Frisco, Texas....LOL Those students at sTu are going to run them off though. It would be like a SNCC confab in 2019 complete with berets, Afro Picks and nunchucks around that piece....LOL

From a travel, budget, and time standpoint, it's senseless for PVAMU and sTu to travel all the way to Alabama for "conference play."

Why everyone keep talking about the Texas schools traveling to Alabama to save money and not the other way around with the Alabama schools wanting to save money by not traveling to Texas.

It only happens in conference play in 2 sports (football & basketball) and even in football it only happens every other year with the way the 7 game schedule in set up. The rest of the conference is broken down in divisions that basically only play amongst themselves until the tournament play in each said sport is held.

So you are saying the SWAC and MEAC Conferences are the barrels that are holding us back??? I guess your solution is to remove or destroy the entire barrel. LOL!!!

Well, the swac is constantly rated as one of the bottom 3 fcs conferences. Getting mad or talking trash about a school for exploring other options, well...

Hell no for SU. You don’t make a lateral move.

That's what Hampton did (plus they in essence "saved" the Big South conference for the time being). But we know they probably enjoy being around those types.

Plus as someone said, why are people bringing up the trips to Alabama as if AAMU and ASU don't also have to go to Texas. The only sports that have complete interdivisional play every year are basketball and soccer. And Howard doesn't travel to every SWAC school. They play a number of their home matches in Birmingham

Houston Baptist - 6218
Alcorn -2785
Bama State - 8400
Southern - 12,000

Jackson State - 14,623
Alabama A&M - 4484
SHSU - 4443
Grambling - 2966
UAPB - 2968
Valley - 954

Note I only included seasons where you played both SLC and SWAC teams but like I said earlier, aside from Southern and Jackson State where would the big drop come from? And you have to be fair, those games have numbers like that mainly because of Southern and JSU's fans. Im not saying it would be a good move or that its something TSU should do. All im sayin is attendance wise youd basically lose big attendance with JSU and Southern. Other than that, hardly noticeable. Its kinda like with Tenn State... I don't think their attendance would be much better if they joined the MEAC because of the distance between the schools. The FAMU game would be big as a given, but the rest other than maybe A&T would likely be a wash. Would likely be a bit better in the SWAC due to the proximity, but it would still be only a few select teams that would give them much better numbers. Likely JSU, Southern and A&M. Would it be any better with PV, TxSO, Valley, UAPB, Alcorn or Bama State in a regular game that's not the JMC? I dunno.

Back