The Hypocrisy of Some Black Churches

The Founder

Jesus rode in on a donkey.

Keep that in mind first....

Yet, some churches treat the pastor better than Jesus. A co-worker of mine informed me that one of her members sent the pastor and his wife on paid trip to Italy. Why not donate that money in the pastor's name to worthy cause?

Let's talk about this....

I'm pretty much over the Black Church and churched folks. Black folks will let their alma maters shut down before they let their jive time pastuh live like the rest of the congregation.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

Yet, some churches treat the pastor better than Jesus. A co-worker of mine informed me that one of her members sent the pastor and his wife on paid trip to Italy. Why not donate that money in the pastor's name to worthy cause?

I'm not touching this one with a 10 foot offering bag.

We need to talk about it. I brought it up in Bible study this past Wednesday and you could hear a rat fart on cotton.

You have pastors begging for 10% but living 3 or 4 times better than the people they are asking for it from.

I'll say this and truthfully, hits more than just Black churches.
I used to think that, all Pastors were about increasing their flock, because they were ACTUALLY concerned about saving souls.
Some Pastor's might truly believe that's what they are doing, but some are about money. It's a hustle, I remember attending a church and sitting in on a trustee board meeting. The discussion was about giving the Pastor a raise, since he hadn't has one in a few years. well neither did a lot of his flock. The raise was going to put the Pastor in the six figure range.

I thought to myself why a person needed six figures for pastoring this less than 500 member church (at that time) and that was based on who was actually on the roll, not every Sunday attendance.

My next thought was more selfish, and depending on your religion, evil, was I don't make six figures and I work in my major field of study. The Pastor got his six figure salary, and a few more raises in the next few years after that, but it always made me wonder, if that's why the Pastor was so intent on increasing the church membership, which it did increase for a period of time, but I heard recently the number dropped below 300.
Like I said, it just makes me wonder.

Last edited:

Yeah, you are right; some churches do, do that, and that is on them. But, if a member wants to do
something for their pastor, or for anyone else for that matter, it is their money to do whatsoever they desire.
Also, who's to say that they didn't also donote money to 1 or more worthy causes past, presently or in the
future, as well?

Trust me, I see where you coming from, and I see folks (including me sometimes), that seemingly "waste" money
on all kinds of things. But, we can only try to control what is in our control, and all the rest, that is not ours to bear.

One last thing...no church, congregation or person is perfect; sometimes, we (especially me), need to see folks for their intentions.

Deacon,

Don't let your spirit be vexed by the foolishness you see or hear in the church. The church, congregation/assembly, is comprised of people and where there are groups of people you'll find all the issues of people, including the hypocrisy you speak of. I understand it bothers you and it should.

Yes, Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a donkey, but also remember the hypocrisy of the synagogue/assembly existed in his time and it bothered him also.

As a Christian and a Deacon of the Church you still must bear your cross, and yes it is heavy! It is weighed down with all the faults of mankind, including hypocrisy.....including the hypocrisy you see prevalent in some churches. Sometimes we, Christians, might grow weary of the cross and that is understandable, but the scripture encourages us to not grow weary in our well doing. It is not an easy journey being a Christian, we must deny our self, pick up our cross, and soldier on following our Lord.

Deacon, that hypocrisy is upon your cross purposely, not accidentally. Keep carrying the cross, deny that vexation of your spirit and let your light for Jesus shine to assuage the darkness of hypocrisy. Let your light so shine, that no matter how much hypocrisy there is it won't be seen on the front pew where Deacon Founder sits. Let your light so shine, that when another of the Body of Christ is seeking one that is not hypocritical, one in an earthly vessel, they look your way. And, when they do look your way direct them straight to Jesus, where no hypocrisy shall be found.

Matthew 16:24 King James Version (KJV)
24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Last edited:
Deacon,

Don't let your spirit be vexed by the foolishness you see or hear in the church. The church, congregation/assembly, is comprised of people and where there are groups of people you'll find all the issues of people, including the hypocrisy you speak of. I understand it bothers you and it should.

Yes, Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a donkey, but also remember the hypocrisy of the synagogue/assembly existed in his time and it bothered him also.

As a Christian and a Deacon of the Church you still must bear your cross, and yes it is heavy! It is weighed down with all the faults of mankind, including hypocrisy.....including the hypocrisy you see prevalent in some churches. Sometimes we, Christians, might grow weary of the cross and that is understandable, but the scripture encourages us to not grow weary in our well doing. It is not an easy journey being a Christian, we must deny our self, pick up our cross, and soldier on following our Lord.

Deacon, that hypocrisy is upon your cross purposely, not accidentally. Keep carrying the cross, deny that vexation of your spirit and let your light for Jesus shine to assuage the darkness of hypocrisy. Let your light so shine, that no matter how much hypocrisy there is it won't be seen on the front pew where Deacon Founder sits. Let your light so shine, that when another of the Body of Christ is seeking one that is not hypocritical, one in an earthly vessel, they look your way. And, when they do look your way direct them straight to Jesus, where no hypocrisy shall be found.

Matthew 16:24 King James Version (KJV)
24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

I truly love you, my brother!

As long as the church, any church, is made up of humans, there will always be some hypocrisy, And guess what? It's not just the Black church! You may not believe it, or may find it hard to believe, but sorry, hypocrisy goes on in white churches too.

Now, I would be a hypocrite if I told you not to be upset by some of the things you may see in the church you serve. While I don't ever concern myself with what people (inside or outside the church) do with their money, it does bother me when I see hypocrisy among "church folks". Notice I said "church folks" and not Christians. We should have a sorrowful disposition when folks say one thing but do the opposite for whatever reason.

But the Word of God is true, and Galatians 6:9 is some comfort. We, as Blood-bought, born-again, baptized Believers should not be consumed with hypocrites and hypocrisy; we should not let it make us so upset that we start to point fingers or want to abandon our work in the Kingdom of God. When we do, not only does it take the focus off God, but off our Christ-centered walk and duties to His people, and it blocks our spiritual discernment. We must be in a Spiritual position to receive discernment from the Holy Spirit so that we can carry out the assignments God has for His people that need Spiritual guidance and direction. There are some at your church Founder that need Spiritual healing, that crave Spiritual growth and development, and desire a closer relationship with Jesus. Let your focus be on those people and let God deal with the others. Pray for them, that their hearts and minds be turned back to the Lord & His ways and be in place when they do turn to you, but focus your time to those who desire the ways of the Lord.

Please be encouraged in the Lord Jesus Christ. Don't allow distractions of this nature deter you from your responsibilities. Speak when the Holy Spirit tells you to, go where He tells you to go. And whatever you do, do it for God, not people. In knowing the Lord, you shall receive the reward of the inheritance, because you truly are serving the Lord Christ! (Colossians 3: 23-24).

I'm not touching this one with a 10 foot offering bag.

View attachment 6848

nope-not-touching.jpg

I am one of the most simplistic deacons a person could know. I made a statement once that everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die....there were crickets. Another statement I made....why do pastors at funerals say a person is in a better place yet during sermons some of them say they are happy to have woke up this morning.

My point is simple...I have had this feeling that I have been called to show the hypocrisy of church leaders. As I told one pastor, "you want Christians to be up right but you seem to walk sideways when it suits you." He is no longer a minister now.

I also speak honestly to college students....many times these men and women just really need someone to talk to them rather than preach to them.

Back