Why can't SWAC bands get the numbers game right?

So answering some comments is considered sensitive? I'm still waiting on someone to explain how woodwinds (which we've had a large number of since 2006) suddenly make us sound like "every other band" or how changing to brass tubas (knowing nearly all of you criticized the old fiberglass sound) is somehow a bad thing. Since we're having a musical discussion, I'm really trying to understand these statements.

Na, HOW you answered was sensitive. To those other questions, not sure about the woodwind comment. I never said that. But as far as the tubas, I don’t think it’s the fact that y’all changed tubas is a bad thing. It’s how y’all sound on em. They ain’t pushing like they were on the old tubas imo. Maybe the section this year not as strong as previous years, idk. But that’s just me.

Na, HOW you answered was sensitive. To those other questions, not sure about the woodwind comment. I never said that. But as far as the tubas, I don’t think it’s the fact that y’all changed tubas is a bad thing. It’s how y’all sound on em. They ain’t pushing like they were on the old tubas imo. Maybe the section this year not as strong as previous years, idk. But that’s just me.

I actually disagree. The tubas imo are pushing more than they have in the past but to each his own.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Bands such as Cookman and FAMU (in their prime) have a non-aggressive, and low risk playing style. 300+ horns playing at mezzo forte will produce quite a bit of volume. Plus, they do not use baritones and mellophones as power instruments the way SWAC bands do. SWAC bands push the envelope in terms of aggression, so it makes it that much more difficult for a large band to be cleaner with attacks and releases, tempo, etc.

Bands such as Cookman and FAMU (in their prime) have a non-aggressive, and low risk playing style. 300+ horns playing at mezzo forte will produce quite a bit of volume. Plus, they do not use baritones and mellophones as power instruments the way SWAC bands do. SWAC bands push the envelope in terms of aggression, so it makes it that much more difficult for a large band to be cleaner with attacks and releases, tempo, etc.

Welcome back!

So I don't think southern "sounds" like other bands. I DO think swac bands CAN clean it all up and play more challenging music... If they tried...

So I don't think southern "sounds" like other bands. I DO think swac bands CAN clean it all up and play more challenging music... If they tried...
No band sounds "exactly" alike, however some bands tend to sound more similar to others.

I guess our ears are just hearing different stuff because I've been hearing a strong sound from them so far.

Dear southern ,

So now I’m hating? A loss to Alcorn ? Yeah y’all belong on the big band curse list.... my words hold validation to what I said earlier regarding this band this year. Explain this ... it’s yall homecoming though? I’ll wait...

Back