FAMU band now has dance girls?

Drum majors LEAD bands. They have no need to out perform the band. Again, you claim to not be demeaning DM's but your words speak otherwise.
Only white schools have one drum major. It's okay to think like them when it comes to drum majors. No need to be ashamed.....I guess.

But the way I see it, there should only be one leader. It becomes too confusing when you have multiple student leaders. Imagine if the multiple drum majors blew their whistles out of sync. That could start a show off real bad. I've seen it happen on the high school level. And having one drum major is not thinking white. IMO, it's the best way to keep one band one sound.

What others? It doesn't hurt to google the responsibilities of multiple drum majors.

Other than providing a synchronized dance act and since ya'll proclaim to know the duties of multiple DM's, I assumed ya'll would be the best source to ask. But it is not that serious to me.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Other than providing a synchronized dance act and since ya'll proclaim to know the duties of multiple DM's, I assumed ya'll would be the best source to ask. But it is not that serious to me.

Watch the video, maybe it will provide some insight into the duties of the J5.

Nice video. Thanks!!! But it is still my opinion that a band only needs one DM. Anything more than one is an overkill.

The Sonic Boom of the South is a "show style" marching band, high-stepping and high-energy! A "show style" marching band that can make a whole stadium rise to their feet with the entrance of the J5 Drum Majors, the Prancing J-Settes and the Boom "swinging and swaying." The Boom's entrance is visual and dynamic, you want get the same visual effect with just one Drum Major. It's all about showmanship!

The Sonic Boom of the South is a "show style" marching band, high-stepping and high-energy! A "show style" marching band that can make a whole stadium rise to their feet with the entrance of the J5 Drum Majors, the Prancing J-Settes and the Boom "swinging and swaying." The Boom's entrance is visual and dynamic, you want get the same visual effect with just one Drum Major. It's all about showmanship!

That's nice!!! But I rather see an entire band (show band or not) in unison instead of several DIFFERENT acts at one time. It takes away one's focus on the main attraction. What I'm about to say might piss a few off on here, but I hate seeing the band dance while the dancing girls are being featured at the same time. And in some bands, the DM's are dancing while the dancing girls are being featured. It leaves me wondering which dance routine should I watch.

That's nice!!! But I rather see an entire band (show band or not) in unison instead of several DIFFERENT acts at one time. It takes away one's focus on the main attraction. What I'm about to say might piss a few off on here, but I hate seeing the band dance while the dancing girls are being featured at the same time. And in some bands, the DM's are dancing while the dancing girls are being featured. It leaves me wondering which dance routine should I watch.
So your eyeballs don't have the ability to scan back and forth?

Dude don't wanna hear that. His mind's already made up. He loves the white bands with the one drum major.

So bands have to do one thing at a time so you won't lose focus on a section? That's makes no sense if you like southern because on multiple occasions, their band dances while the dancing girls are doing their own thing.
FAMU has more than one thing going on while their drum majors are doing their thing. That's what makes the band exciting. They're doing multiple things at one time and doing it all in sync.
Your eyes are constantly scanning the entire band to catch all of the excitement.
This is totally unlike the white bands who tend to do ONE thing at a time such as the dancing girls doing a high kick while the band stands in place and plays. Now THAT is totally boring. That's why their own folks get up and go to the restroom, while at Black schools, folks sit down and watch the halftime shows.

Dude don't wanna hear that. His mind's already made up. He loves the white bands with the one drum major.

If you think having multiple DM's distinguishes HBCU bands from PWI bands, then you definitely don't know the difference between the two type of bands.

Probably why FAMU doesn't like dancing girls, because their band is known for dancing, whereas if you watched all of SU's videos, you would see that the Dancing Doll are doing their 'thang' while the band stay in concert formation playing whatever tune they are dancing to.

It's not that. It is like different acts competing for the audience attention, which takes away from the one band one sound concept.

O, OK! What about the Super 7 dancing, when you already have the Dancing Dolls with a dance feature?

Last edited:
O, OK! What about the Super 7 dancing, when you already have the Dancing Dolls with a dance feature?

I'm sure you have noticed that the Super 7 and the Dancing Dolls are featured separately, unless they choreograph a routine together. As I previously stated, two or more SEPARATE routines performed at the same time is not a good idea.

If you think having multiple DM's distinguishes HBCU bands from PWI bands, then you definitely don't know the difference between the two type of bands.

And that’s why I wouldn’t go back and forth with jayrob about this topic. It’s like debating a chimpanzee.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Back