FAMU band now has dance girls?

No they do not. They do have a group of girls that dance with the band but they are not officially part of the marching 100. You usually see them to the side of the band they have a nickname too. The diamonds . A saw them last night at the battle of the band vs TSU they were dancing on the floor next to the band until somebody told them to get back in the stands . Poor girls they just want to be a part of the marching 100 so bad.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Nah they aren't a pet of the Marching 100...I used to date a girl who was a diamond dancer. They just wanna dance...but they are not affiliated with the Marching 100 in way

Eventually FAMU will give in and have a danceline.

I actually hope they do not. They should stick to their traditions as much as possible. One of the things I always respected about FAMU Band is they stay true to being the 100. Never changing their style to be like any other bands. So unless it is something they really want to do, I hope they don't feel pressured into it.

Tradition. Can't be mad at FAMU for not wanting it.

Which is similar to SU's tradition not wanting flags, rifles, twirlers, multiple drum majors, etc. Now before Doc, I do believe SU had some of those auxiliary pieces.

Which is similar to SU's tradition not wanting flags, rifles, twirlers, multiple drum majors, etc. Now before Doc, I do believe SU had some of those auxiliary pieces.
Flag girls, twirlers and rifles are completely different from dancing girls.
As far as the "tradition' of one drum major, southern "borrowed or stole" that from a Big Ten school any how.

Flag girls, twirlers and rifles are completely different from dancing girls.
As far as the "tradition' of one drum major, southern "borrowed or stole" that from a Big Ten school any how.

So Southern had to borrow or steal the one drum major tradition from a Big Ten school when there are many school that do the same. TAMU has one of the largest Corp style bands in the country and they only have one drum major. A few SEC bands as well, such as LSU. Only HBCUs have 4 and 5 drum majors for a 50 member band, such as Morehouse College. IMHO,a band only needs one drum major. Anything more is just another distraction from the band or another side act.

So Southern had to borrow or steal the one drum major tradition from a Big Ten school when there are many school that do the same. TAMU has one of the largest Corp style bands in the country and they only have one drum major. A few SEC bands as well, such as LSU. Only HBCUs have 4 and 5 drum majors for a 50 member band, such as Morehouse College. IMHO,a band only needs one drum major. Anything more is just another distraction from the band or another side act.

It's no distraction when those drum majors have duties to do during practice time and not just be a show piece to do a back bend and run off the field.

It's no distraction when those drum majors have duties to do during practice time and not just be a show piece to do a back bend and run off the field.
Bands are for entertainment purposes. Drum majors serve that purpose as well. That is most drum majors.

Based on your theory, perhaps instead of saying Big Ten, I should've said, white school.
Most HBCU's have their own drum major style.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

Exactly what do they do in practice??? The main purpose of drum majors is to start the show. I don't think a band needs multiple individuals to do that.

Based on your theory, perhaps instead of saying Big Ten, I should've said, white school.
Most HBCU's have their own drum major style.

Like myself, Doc Greggs didn't believe in multiple individuals as drum majors. One is enough. Dancing and prancing drum majors is not my thing. It looks as if they are competing against the band for attention.

Like myself, Doc Greggs didn't believe in multiple individuals as drum majors. One is enough. Dancing and prancing drum majors is not my thing. It looks as if they are competing against the band for attention.
Doc Greggs got his one drum major philosophy from white schools, so it wasn't something he actually started.
Black schools formed their own separate style utilizing multiple drum majors, yet you want to criticize them for doing something unique from white schools.
Drum majors that I know of at HBCU's don't prance, so I have no idea why you'd even use that word except to denigrate what they do.
It's interesting that the NCAA Hall of Fame committee didn't hold it against The BOOM for having it's five drum majors.

Doc Greggs got his one drum major philosophy from white schools, so it wasn't something he actually started.
Black schools formed their own separate style utilizing multiple drum majors, yet you want to criticize them for doing something unique from white schools.
Drum majors that I know of at HBCU's don't prance, so I have no idea why you'd even use that word except to denigrate what they do.
It's interesting that the NCAA Hall of Fame committee didn't hold it against The BOOM for having it's five drum majors.

So you are saying those multiple drum majors don't do their own synchronized dancing apart from what the band is doing??? From what I can tell, while the band is marching, those multiple drum majors are performing some other routine, commonly some dance routine. I'm not trying to degrade them, but that's just not my style. Again, IMO, the main purpose of drum majors is to start the show and not to try to outperform the band.

Exactly what do they do in practice??? The main purpose of drum majors is to start the show. I don't think a band needs multiple individuals to do that.

I can tell you don't know what Drum Majors do outside of the show, well what other schools Drum Majors do.

I can tell you don't know what Drum Majors do outside of the show, well what other schools Drum Majors do.

As I stated previously, the main purpose of a drum major is to start the show or start a song. HBCUs decided to add more than one drum major in order to add some attention to the drum majors aside from the band. When band announcers say, "drum major(s), take the field", a band only needs one drum major to blow his or her whistle, which should take no longer than a minute for the drum major to do his or her 'thang'. Now days, it takes about 4 or 5 minutes for multiple drum majors to start a show, which IMO is way too long for 4 or 5 individuals to blow their whistles to begin a show. Most shows are only like 8 minutes long, which means the drum majors have already consumed most of that time. I believe FAMU's football team had once gotten penalized for the band taking too long to end their show. The band is there to support the football team and not the other way around. Doc. Greggs was big on keeping the halftime show within a certain time frame. SU band would never go over its alloted time frame.

As I stated previously, the main purpose of a drum major is to start the show or start a song. HBCUs decided to add more than one drum major in order to add some attention to the drum majors aside from the band. When band announcers say, "drum major(s), take the field", a band only needs one drum major to blow his or her whistle, which should take no longer than a minute for the drum major to do his or her 'thang'. Now days, it takes about 4 or 5 minutes for multiple drum majors to start a show, which IMO is way too long for 4 or 5 individuals to blow their whistles to begin a show. Most shows are only like 8 minutes long, which means the drum majors have already consumed most of that time. I believe FAMU's football team had once gotten penalized for the band taking too long to end their show. The band is there to support the football team and not the other way around. Doc. Greggs was big on keeping the halftime show within a certain time frame. SU band would never go over its alloted time frame.

Sorry but that is not the main purpose for a Drum Major. It may be for su but it wasn't and is not for PVAMU's Drum Majors. We had/have additional duties to do for the band at practice inside and outside.

Sorry but that is not the main purpose for a Drum Major. It may be for su but it wasn't and is not for PVAMU's Drum Majors. We had/have additional duties to do for the band at practice inside and outside.

It would help me and others see your point if you elaborated on what those additional duties are.

Last edited:
So you are saying those multiple drum majors don't do their own synchronized dancing apart from what the band is doing??? From what I can tell, while the band is marching, those multiple drum majors are performing some other routine, commonly some dance routine. I'm not trying to degrade them, but that's just not my style. Again, IMO, the main purpose of drum majors is to start the show and not to try to outperform the band.
Drum majors LEAD bands. They have no need to out perform the band. Again, you claim to not be demeaning DM's but your words speak otherwise.
Only white schools have one drum major. It's okay to think like them when it comes to drum majors. No need to be ashamed.....I guess.

Back