What's up with all the hair in HBCU Marching Bands?

Here comes that express themselves crap. I hear parents use that excuse daily.

How is it an excuse. Because a band director runs his program how he wants...yeah, ok

Heck, when I played baseball at FAMU, we weren't allowed to have beards or sideburns and growing up my dad wouldn't allow me to have dreads or braids...if the rule is there, then I'll comply and I'd tell my children to comply. If the rule isn't there, then EXPRESS YOURSELF however you want

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
A picture can paint a thousand words! Props to Michigan, notice even the flag girls hair is pinned up.

Image is everything!

Last edited:
UNIFORMITY is the name of the game...and the better marching bands excel at it. The bands that appear to lack the most discipline are the ones that are full of "Gat Damn Individuals", and attention to detail is severely lacking. Traditions were set in place LONG BEFORE these kids got there. But their parents have instilled an overwhelming sense of entitlement in their children. So when they go off to college, the feel as if they are entitled to have EVERYTHING their way...and it doesn't help that discrimination lawsuits are popping up all over the work place over hair. But I digress.

Bands today are nothing like how they were back in the day. In some aspects, that's okay. But when it comes to marching band traditions, appearance is a major factor, and a lot of bands fail miserably at it. IMO, that just says something about the director running the band.

I think it may have less to do with expressing anything and more to do with how some anti-hazing laws are interpreted. To sum up some of them I've read you can't force anyone to do something by threat of ostracism. Depends on what the law says in a particular state and whether the director wants to take a risk every season or not. Now I'm sure somebody will follow this post with "well we do this and we do that". You can do whatever you want as long as no one disagrees and tries the legal route. Like I said its a risk you have to decide to take or not.

Plus I don't think you're gonna see that much of a problem at PWC's as the dudes don't to often have long hair and its nothing for the girls to just pin theirs up.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
This is marching band, not the military. I served in the Marines & I wish a ninja would tell me I had to have my hair a certain way or can’t have facial hair in a damn college marching band

This is marching band, not the military. I served in the Marines & I wish a ninja would tell me I had to have my hair a certain way or can’t have facial hair in a damn college marching band

You must have been in the same platoon as Gomer Pyle? Marching bands evolved out of military bands.

A person must have been butthole hurt about something to dredge up a thread over 2 years old. And they really wanted people to think that they only had a beef with Haymer. LOL!!!

A person must have been butthole hurt about something to dredge up a thread over 2 years old. And they really wanted people to think that they only had a beef with Haymer. LOL!!!

It's called a reference/research! Haymer did some things right, let's give the man some credit.

It's called a reference/research! Haymer did some things right, let's give the man some credit.

According to the people dredging up these 2 year plus old threads, Haymer couldn't do anything right and now they are on some new stuff, which proves their attacks just weren't about or against Haymer.

Last edited:
You can try and play this down all you want to, but you know that wouldn't have been allowed under the great Doc.
He was a grown man last year! Haymer was a Greggs protege, he didn't allow beards. :(
The current director is a Greggs protege too........

I can see if he was rocking a heavy beard, but it is nicely trimmed and clean cut.

People are scared of lawsuits these days but i know at Grambling you have to have a low hair cut and females have to tuck their hair under the hat.

Mane, you nailed it with this response! It should be discipline at all times! Young people and social media are a force to be reckon with. smh

People don't like following rules and have that just because it was done in the past doesn't mean we have to do it. This current generation actually makes me sick lol. They are mentally sheltered and parents allow them to do any and everything. Hell i see 8th grade girls with tatts and be like wtf.

According to the people dredging up these 2 year plus old threads, Haymer couldn't do anything right and now they are on some new stuff, which proves their attacks just weren't about or against Haymer.
Come on 89, if you gone be real, be for real. The person who started this thread said nothing about Haymer. That's you who brought it up.
Heck, even one of the most loyal Jukes in JR co-signed that he didn't agree with the facial hair. I doubt if you do either, but one doubt's if you'll publicly admit it.

Come on 89, if you gone be real, be for real. The person who started this thread said nothing about Haymer. That's you who brought it up.
Heck, even one of the most loyal Jukes in JR co-signed that he didn't agree with the facial hair. I doubt if you do either, but one doubt's if you'll publicly admit it.

All these kids in different bands with facial hair and dreadlocks, but you choose to dredge up a thread that is over 2 years old to point out to us that SU's current DM has facial hair. I'm sure if I kept track of everything JSU have done over the years, I would find stuff that contradicts what you once said, but it's not that serious to me. IMO, this is beyond some kind of obsession. It's more on the level of a mental health issue. After losing WWI, Hitler had the same obsession about the Jews. He was also diagnose with a mental health issue long before he started WWII. One good thing, you are definitely not Hitler and too powerless to start a war to exterminate SU people. I have more important things to occupy my time than worry about some kid in a band facial hair or dreadlocks.

Last edited:
Back