Fraternity accused of negligence in lawsuit involving 2016 Jackson shooting

Unknowm

One of six people shot at a block party in 2016 in Jackson has filed a lawsuit against the Upsilon Epsilon Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity at Jackson State University over the shooting.

The lawsuit also names the alleged shooter, Ryan Davis, and others as defendants.

Moral Abram, who was shot in the leg, filed the lawsuit originally in Hinds County Circuit Court, but the fraternity had the case moved last week to federal court in Jackson.

Davis was charged with six counts of aggravated assault in Oct. 28, 2016, shooting at the block party on Lorenz Boulevard. Then-Jackson Police Chief Lee Vance said at the time that a dozen people were also injured in the melee after the shooting, as people scrambled to flee the scene.

The Georgia-based fraternity is seeking to have the lawsuit dismissed. William E. Whitfield III of Biloxi, one of the attorneys for the fraternity, said in the answer to the lawsuit that the only person who could possibly have been negligent was Davis. He also said the nonprofit fraternity can’t be held liable for an unsanctioned or unauthorized event.

Abram’s attorney, Elizabeth Carr, said in court papers that Omega Psi Phi should have known that hosting unsupervised, open-invitation events without adequate security, where alcohol was present, was a direct violation of Jackson State University’s rules and represented a serious hazard and danger to others.

Abram’s lawsuit said the residence at 221 Lorenz Blvd. was referred to as the “Que House,” “Da Frat House,” “Q House” or “Fraternity House.”

Abram said the fraternity chapter promoted the frat party through word of mouth, flyers, Facebook, Twitter and other social media as open for all to attend.

“The Que party was hosted by the Omega Psi Phi defendants without adequate security, adequate security equipment, personnel and/or sober monitors to identify and remove groups or individuals engaging in dangerous of aggressive conduct,” Abram’s lawsuit says.

The lawsuit also said the fraternity provided alcoholic beverages to people in attendance at the party and members walked around the party with alcoholic beverages in hand, asking those in attendance to lean their heads and pouring liquor into their mouths.

Abram’s lawsuit said Davis and other party guests were intoxicated and started exhibiting dangerous and destructive conduct.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story...ampus-jsu-frat-party-leads-lawsuit/788793002/

I'm not sure how the Ques work but NUPEs have to file paperwork for every event. It works my nerves as part of the advisement team when they throw parties under a pseudonym.

The sad part is organizations cannot control what idiots come to a party.

Prayers up to the Ques and the guy injured.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I'm not sure how the Ques work but NUPEs have to file paperwork for every event. It works my nerves as part of the advisement team when they throw parties under a pseudonym.

The sad part is organizations cannot control what idiots come to a party.

Prayers up to the Ques and the guy injured.
Gotta make sure that insurance is paid!!!

Another shark attorney looking for a revenue check from one of the Divine 9. Young BRUHZ have to be made fully aware that this is the world we live in and they can't circumvent the process when it comes to putting on an event.

One of six people shot at a block party in 2016 in Jackson has filed a lawsuit against the Upsilon Epsilon Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity at Jackson State University over the shooting.

The lawsuit also names the alleged shooter, Ryan Davis, and others as defendants.

Moral Abram, who was shot in the leg, filed the lawsuit originally in Hinds County Circuit Court, but the fraternity had the case moved last week to federal court in Jackson.

Davis was charged with six counts of aggravated assault in Oct. 28, 2016, shooting at the block party on Lorenz Boulevard. Then-Jackson Police Chief Lee Vance said at the time that a dozen people were also injured in the melee after the shooting, as people scrambled to flee the scene.

The Georgia-based fraternity is seeking to have the lawsuit dismissed. William E. Whitfield III of Biloxi, one of the attorneys for the fraternity, said in the answer to the lawsuit that the only person who could possibly have been negligent was Davis. He also said the nonprofit fraternity can’t be held liable for an unsanctioned or unauthorized event.

Abram’s attorney, Elizabeth Carr, said in court papers that Omega Psi Phi should have known that hosting unsupervised, open-invitation events without adequate security, where alcohol was present, was a direct violation of Jackson State University’s rules and represented a serious hazard and danger to others.

Abram’s lawsuit said the residence at 221 Lorenz Blvd. was referred to as the “Que House,” “Da Frat House,” “Q House” or “Fraternity House.”

Abram said the fraternity chapter promoted the frat party through word of mouth, flyers, Facebook, Twitter and other social media as open for all to attend.

“The Que party was hosted by the Omega Psi Phi defendants without adequate security, adequate security equipment, personnel and/or sober monitors to identify and remove groups or individuals engaging in dangerous of aggressive conduct,” Abram’s lawsuit says.

The lawsuit also said the fraternity provided alcoholic beverages to people in attendance at the party and members walked around the party with alcoholic beverages in hand, asking those in attendance to lean their heads and pouring liquor into their mouths.

Abram’s lawsuit said Davis and other party guests were intoxicated and started exhibiting dangerous and destructive conduct.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story...ampus-jsu-frat-party-leads-lawsuit/788793002/
Damnnnnn!

LOL!

That ain't what I heard.

One thing is certain, Pop has been on that act right since that day. I’m proud him. He has come a long way. It's amazing how certain experiences can change one's perspective of life.

But, it's still y'alls fault these younguns don't know any better. That attitude that you "can’t” prevent what others do at your events will have your organization bankrupt. You HAVE to take precautions and do what you can to provide a safe environment.

And if the younguns aren't doing that it's usually because the old heads aren't teaching ... what could happen when you act a fool and get shot in the ass.

lol

Man these youngins ignant.....the sad part is the female youngins be trying to holla at the advisors.

LOL!

That ain't what I heard.

One thing is certain, Pop has been on that act right since that day. I’m proud him. He has come a long way. It's amazing how certain experiences can change one's perspective of life.

But, it's still y'alls fault these younguns don't know any better. That attitude that you "can’t” prevent what others do at your events will have your organization bankrupt. You HAVE to take precautions and do what you can to provide a safe environment.

And if the younguns aren't doing that it's usually because the old heads aren't teaching ... what could happen when you act a fool and get shot in the ass.

lol
We saying the same thing. I was saying, in that environment, you really can't control what they do inside but you have to be selective on who you let inside and make sure security is on point. That block party grew into a huge event that attracted a lot of different audiences.

Why are some of you lieing and calling a party, an event? That is not an event. Be honest and call it what it factually is: a party.

Better hope someone w/ my train of thought doesn’t serve on a jury, if it makes it that far. My patience for ineptness and expected behavior(s) for youth are very, very extreme.

Lastly, lawyer dude is attempting to sue the wrong organization. He/she needs to go after the shooter 100000000000%, not that organization. Bankrupt him AND his dumb guardian(s) who obviously didn’t teach shooter how to at least pretend like you are an educated and mature adult :D .

The problem is the hood folks don't want to go to college, but like to party with college crowds. This was always been the case.

We saying the same thing. I was saying, in that environment, you really can't control what they do inside but you have to be selective on who you let inside and make sure security is on point. That block party grew into a huge event that attracted a lot of different audiences.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Why are some of you lieing and calling a party, an event? That is not an event. Be honest and call it what it factually is: a party.

Better hope someone w/ my train of thought doesn’t serve on a jury, if it makes it that far. My patience for ineptness and expected behavior(s) for youth are very, very extreme.

Lastly, lawyer dude is attempting to sue the wrong organization. He/she needs to go after the shooter 100000000000%, not that organization. Bankrupt him AND his dumb guardian(s) who obviously didn’t teach shooter how to at least pretend like you are an educated and mature adult :D .

Now days, lawyers have zero morals, especially those who chase ambulances.

When it comes to lawsuits, lawyers are not looking for what's morally right or morally wrong, all they care about is who has the deepest pockets. Sometimes they take a case in order to make a name for themselves, especially high profile cases. The sad part, Black folks and Black organizations don't have nowhere near the money those other folks have, but we enjoy suing the crap out of each other.

Last edited:
Now days, lawyers have zero morals, especial those who chase

When it comes to lawsuits, lawyers are not looking for what's morally right or morally wrong, all they care about is who has the deepest pockets. Sometimes they take a case in order to make a name for themselves, especially high profile cases. The sad part, Black folks and Black organizations don't have nowhere near the money those other folks have, but we enjoy suing the crap out of each other.
This is what I don't get about underground hazing, yes it goes against any D9 by laws, but if a person engages in underground hazing they are an adult and made a decision to partake, so they should not be able to sue if they get hurt.
Now this party situation is unfortunate.

The way the attorney is attacking the fraternity and if it was a block party, why not go after the City of Jackson, MS for allowing such block party to take place. The city owns the public right-of-way and I'm sure the City of Jackson, MS has deeper pockets than the fraternity. I guess this lawyer knows their legal limitation, which is probably lawsuits strictly against Black organizations. A good attorney would go after ALL responsible parties.

Last edited:

I sent this article to my brother-in-law who just became a Nupe at FAU. Told him to always make sure your paperwork is on point, and do it the right way.

As for this function, it was off campus at a house that isn't really an "official" frat house, from what i remember. If it's the same house that's over on Lorenz St., I think the owner of the property just rents it out to the YE Ques. So basically it was just a house party. This lawyer is just hoping that The Ques settle out of court just to get rid of the foolishness.

During my days on the yard, I had to remind my chapter bro's that when we take a party off-campus, paperwork or no paperwork, we are gonna have to deal with the locals, and the trouble they bring with them. So we always made sure we had our insurance up to date, tight security and most importantly that temporary liquor license. And we made sure that the club/ venue had all their ducks in a row, too. Young brothers got too much to lose out here.

I sent this article to my brother-in-law who just became a Nupe at FAU. Told him to always make sure your paperwork is on point, and do it the right way.

As for this function, it was off campus at a house that isn't really an "official" frat house, from what i remember. If it's the same house that's over on Lorenz St., I think the owner of the property just rents it out to the YE Ques. So basically it was just a house party. This lawyer is just hoping that The Ques settle out of court just to get rid of the foolishness.

During my days on the yard, I had to remind my chapter bro's that when we take a party off-campus, paperwork or no paperwork, we are gonna have to deal with the locals, and the trouble they bring with them. So we always made sure we had our insurance up to date, tight security and most importantly that temporary liquor license. And we made sure that the club/ venue had all their ducks in a row, too. Young brothers got too much to lose out here.

If it is a rented house, the lawyer should be suing the owner too. You can tell this lawyer only see one thing, which is the fraternity has deep pockets.

Jackson State since YE Chapter is specifically tied to the university, the IHL Board since they are over Jackson State, etc. When a student dies due to some LSU fraternity hazing, they just don't go after the fraternity itself, but LSU as well. Like I previously stated, this attorney only see some quick cash from one of the Divine Nine.

LOL!

That ain't what I heard.

lol
Getting arrested that day by far is the best thing that ever happened to me.

The party was not at the house actually. They block off a section of the street (with permits from the city) and JPD was working security

In that case, the attorney should have sued the city for not providing enough policing for a permitted block party that took place on one of the city's public streets. This has to be one of the dumbest attorneys who can't see the other revenue sources that have deeper pockets than the fraternity. And if the objective is to make the point that violence won't be tolerated, then all responsible parties have to be involved and held accountable.

Back