I Became a Deacon in My Church on Sunday

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I'm kinda nervous about it but I'm ready!!!

Congratulations on denying yourself, humbling yourself and stepping up to be a servant-leader for the band of baptized believers, otherwise, known as the church.

To be a little nervous is natural because you have taken on a solemn obligation. You'll be just fine though,.....to surmise things make it a practice to walk in the light, stay in the light and share the light. The Holy Spirit, that resides within you, will take care of the rest as it pertains to your development as a deacon in due season.

Last edited:
Serve God through his people. Great calling and great responsibility!!!

Last edited:
Congratulations on denying yourself, humbling yourself and stepping up to be a servant-leader for the band of baptized believers, otherwise, known as the church.

To be a little nervous is natural because you have taken on a solemn obligation. You'll be just fine though,.....to surmise things make it a practice to walk in the light, stay in the light and share the light. The Holy Spirit, that resides within you, will take care of the rest as it pertains to your development as a deacon in due season.

Good points!

Deacons,

Many months ago I implied that as a deacon you become a servant-leader in the church. Today, with humility, I'm suggesting that as a deacon you also become a servant-model in the church.

Babes-in-Christ, those that have recently been born again or those that struggle mightily in their spiritual journey, should be able to observe a deacon and see a model for how to conduct themselves in The House of The Lord, and see a model for how to live life as a believer.

A good thought for any deacon to retain is that for some in the church you as a deacon and other grave believers are going to be the only "bible" some church members read until their faith matures.

With that said, I humbly encourage all deacons, through Christ, to strive to become good servant-models.

God bless you!

Brother Hicks

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
If I may piggyback off @LAW DAWG

Being an ordained deacon is an honor. You go from membership to leadership to officer. However, whenever we accept Jesus Christ as our Savior, we instantly become His witnesses and become disciples, whether you become a deacon or not. We serve Christ and are servants of God people. As ambassadors for Christ, we must remember to live a life that will reflect Jesus at ALL times! Our lifestyle should automatically and instantly reflect/mirror Him, not just in the church, but even more so OUTSIDE the church. All of us, as God's children, should live a life that we never have to tell the world who we are, but rather show the world WHOSE we are.

@The Founder If you are able to surrender to the will of God, serve Him faithfully, truthfully, wholeheartedly, and selflessly (remove yourself), stay in constant communion with Him and His word daily, and readily receive discernment from the Holy Spirit AND OBEY, you'll have the success in Christ we were all predestined and pre-ordained to have.

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you and your family.

Last edited:
If I may piggyback off @LAW DAWG

Being an ordained deacon is an honor. You go from membership to leadership to officer. However, whenever we accept Jesus Christ as our Savior, we instantly become His witnesses and become disciples, whether you become a deacon or not. We serve Christ and are servants of God people. As ambassadors for Christ, we must remember to live a life that will reflect Jesus at ALL times! Our lifestyle should automatically and instantly reflect/mirror Him, not just in the church, but even more so OUTSIDE the church. All of us, as God's children, should live a life that we never have to tell the world who we are, but rather show the world WHOSE we are.

@The Founder If you are able to surrender to the will of God, serve Him faithfully, truthfully, wholeheartedly, and selflessly (remove yourself), stay in constant communion with Him and His word daily, and readily receive discernment from the Holy Spirit AND OBEY, you'll have the success in Christ we were all predestined and pre-ordained to have.

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you and your family.

It's interesting that I have learned to listen more...I never say these words anymore "I will pray for you." Instead I will pray right then and there no matter who is around.

The other issue is visiting the sick and those unable to come to church. The faces they make and how happy they are is spectacular.

It has been fun so far. The have labeled me as the "No Worries Deacon." I didn't realize that no matter what problem there is I have always responded "No worries or no problem." I guess I always look at a glass half full in all part of my life because of my belief in God.

It's interesting that I have learned to listen more...I never say these words anymore "I will pray for you." Instead I will pray right then and there no matter who is around.

The other issue is visiting the sick and those unable to come to church. The faces they make and how happy they are is spectacular.

It has been fun so far. The have labeled me as the "No Worries Deacon." I didn't realize that no matter what problem there is I have always responded "No worries or no problem." I guess I always look at a glass half full in all part of my life because of my belief in God.

@The Founder...You are right with regards to sick/shut in visitations. I too, am a "Deacon In Training".
One of the things that surprised me most, is the spirit/attitude of those we go out to visit and commune.
Some of those people had the best spirits and attitutudes in spite of being sick and not able to get out the house.
I did not expect to be blessed by them, but that is exactly what has happened most times.

YES LORD! That "On-the-spot-Praying"! No matter who is around OR where it is! I have done it on the church parking lot, in the store, in the hallway at my job, over the phone while pulled over.....don't matter where it is, if you ask me to pray for you, I will right there!

My Pastor and some of our deacons take communion to our sick and shut-in members; consider that obligation as you visit the those unable to attend Worship services (if your church does that).

I'm SO glad to hear this from you. I pray your responsibilities will bring you closer to Jesus Christ, strengthen your faith, enhance your Spiritual growth and development, give you peace and happiness, and most importantly, GLORIFY GOD!

Back