Smartwatches, anybody has or plan on buying one

bigmanofds

I’m really not feeling this one or I don’t get it. I have not dealt with a watch in years mainly because of the rise of the smartphone. I don’t wear jewelry nor do I even wear a wedding band. So a smartwatch would not have an aesthetic value to me. However, as big and clunky as the Samsung Gear S, I like the device. I see it something to play with to pass the time away. But for me it would have to be less than $100 for me to justify getting something like that. I am never that busy that I can’t stick my hand in my pocket to see what time it is or reading an incoming text message. I like how it’s a standalone device with its own 3G radio, but it would have to totally replace my cell phone in order for me to get much use from it. Unless I’m missing something, I can’t see that happening. Also, Apple is coming out with the so called “iWatch†but again having a phone, tablet, and a watch is too much redundancy for me. I don’t need 3 very expensive devices that I have to keep charge to notify me that my wife called. For me to bite on a so called “iWatch†I would consider about maybe $150.00 because I like Apple products, but any other product would have to be less than $100 for me to even consider buying as I said earlier.

What are you guys’ thoughts?

I would get one if it hotspot and I don't have to lug that phone around to hotspot anymore. If Verizon gets it and I like the look, I will pick one up.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I'm out for now on the smartwatch thing altogether, let alone a $350 one from Apple. I just don't see a need. The iPad at least you could have looked at it as a laptop replacement. But to me $350 is too much for me to justify paying for a iPhone accessory.

Nope.

I don't really wear watches anymore. Haven't worn a watch in years.

Do plan to get the iPhone 6 Plus though.

Nope.

I don't really wear watches anymore. Haven't worn a watch in years.

Do plan to get the iPhone 6 Plus though.

Yeah I’m all over the 5.5" model. But the watch. . .really ANY smartwatch. . .I’m passing unless I buy one used. I could roll with it for less than $150. But $350, I need it to do something more than look good on my wrist.

I was seriously considering that Moto 360 round watch until I heard about the battery life. Given the current form factor, I think that battery life will continue to be an issue.

Yeah I’m all over the 5.5" model. But the watch. . .really ANY smartwatch. . .I’m passing unless I buy one used. I could roll with it for less than $150. But $350, I need it to do something more than look good on my wrist.

This is a smart watch that generally has got good reviews online and it's around $100 (it's a Gear 2 clone that's about 3 times the price.

[video=youtube;p-vN_Go3yY8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-vN_Go3yY8[/video]

I agree with everyone. From what I have gathered, none of these phones are worth $300-$350 because they are not stand alone cell phones by themselves that you can stick a SIM card in and use as a cell phone like this one (around $140 on Amazon)

[video=youtube;hKWiZklHqe8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKWiZklHqe8[/video]

Last edited:
I was seriously considering that Moto 360 round watch until I heard about the battery life. Given the current form factor, I think that battery life will continue to be an issue.

I notice Apple did not even mention battery life with their watch. I’ve been conditioned to charging my phone every night, but to have another device to keep charged daily is not improving my quality of life. This is why I don’t fool with Bluetooth headsets anymore. The Moto 360 battery life is supposed to be 8-12 hours. But my days are more like 12-16 hours with the last 3 or 4 hours being when I need my mobile devices the most. “IF” I start wearing a device on my arm again, I will need at least 18 hours on a charge.

I notice Apple did not even mention battery life with their watch. I’ve been conditioned to charging my phone every night, but to have another device to keep charged daily is not improving my quality of life. This is why I don’t fool with Bluetooth headsets anymore. The Moto 360 battery life is supposed to be 8-12 hours. But my days are more like 12-16 hours with the last 3 or 4 hours being when I need my mobile devices the most. “IF” I start wearing a device on my arm again, I will need at least 18 hours on a charge.

I agree. I probably won't pay much attention to it while I'm at work, but it's those 4-6 after work hours is when I'll be using the watch the most. I don't mind charging it at night while I sleep, but I don't wanna have to charge it hours before I go to bed.

best bluetooth as far as charging.... I charge mine once every 2 or 3 weeks.

lg-tone_-wireless-bluetooth-stereo-headset-white-main-view.jpg

best bluetooth as far as charging.... I charge mine once every 2 or 3 weeks.

lg-tone_-wireless-bluetooth-stereo-headset-white-main-view.jpg

Man, the last time I dealt with bluetooth headset I had them paired with a HTC 8100 running windows mobile 5.0. You know that was a long time ago. :lol: I imagine technology has changed a lot since then. :lol: I’ve been looking at those LGs on YouTube and they looked cool. They also look like something I can keep up with. Since I've never seen them in the wild, I thought they might be gimmicky. But if you say you only charge them 2 or 3 times a week that’s pretty good. Also the price for them is not that bad depending on where you get them.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Man, the last time I dealt with bluetooth headset I had them paired with a HTC 8100 running windows mobile 5.0. You know that was a long time ago. :lol: I imagine technology has changed a lot since then. :lol: I’ve been looking at those LGs on YouTube and they looked cool. They also look like something I can keep up with. Since I've never seen them in the wild, I thought they might be gimmicky. But if you say you only charge them 2 or 3 times a week that’s pretty good. Also the price for them is not that bad depending on where you get them.

I sometimes go to sleep with mine on..... they are so light you forget you have them on.

I picked up that Moto 360 on Friday. I like it so far. Battery life is better than what the reviewers are reporting. I'm getting about 24-28 hours per charge.

I picked up that Moto 360 on Friday. I like it so far. Battery life is better than what the reviewers are reporting. I'm getting about 24-28 hours per charge.

Have you paired it with your LG headset yet? I'm kind of curious how it interacts with it.

Have you paired it with your LG headset yet? I'm kind of curious how it interacts with it.

The watch pairs with your phone, and the headset pairs with your phone too. The feature that will let you listen to music that's actually stored on the watch without the need for the phone will come in a software update later.

Back