Alcorn State vs. Grambling: 2013 Circle City Classic Football Game Payouts Revealed

Kenn Rashad

Person In Charge
Staff member
In a press release issued last month by Indiana Black Expo, Inc., the organization that hosts the annual Circle City Classic football game, it was announced that Alcorn State and Grambling will be the participating schools in this year’s event to be held Oct. 12 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

TSPNsports has obtained copies of the contracts each school signed with Indiana Black Expo, Inc. through an open records request fulfilled by both schools.

http://www.tspnsports.com/2013/04/0...ty-classic-football-game-payouts-revealed.htm

This was supposed to be a home game for Alcorn before it was moved right?
:read:

Re: Alcorn State vs. Grambling: 2013 Circle City Classic Football Game Payouts Reveal

In a press release issued last month by Indiana Black Expo, Inc., the organization that hosts the annual Circle City Classic football game, it was announced that Alcorn State and Grambling will be the participating schools in this year’s event to be held Oct. 12 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

TSPNsports has obtained copies of the contracts each school signed with Indiana Black Expo, Inc. through an open records request fulfilled by both schools.

http://www.tspnsports.com/2013/04/0...ty-classic-football-game-payouts-revealed.htm

This was supposed to be a home game for Alcorn before it was moved right?

Uh oh.......wait until my frat JState83 sees this.

Grabbing :popcorn:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Re: Alcorn State vs. Grambling: 2013 Circle City Classic Football Game Payouts Reveal

According to the contract signed by Alcorn State, the school will receive “a post-event guarantee payment” of $230,000 dollars. The terms of the payment include a 20% deposit in the amount of $46,000 to be paid to ASU within 30 days from the date the contract was executed – which was on March 12, and the remaining 80% of $184,000 to be paid “within 90 days after the event.”

In Grambling’s contract with Indiana Black Expo, the school is to receive payouts totaling $320,000. The payment terms include “a post-event guarantee payment” of $220,000 to be paid “within 90 days after the event” and “a post-event payment” of $100,000 “for scholarships of the University’s choice”.

Somebody explain why one team is getting more than the other team for playing the same classic.
Alcorn $230,000
Grambling $320,000

What the matter.
Alcorn don't have scholorships that need funding also. I'm sure they could use $100,000 for schollies also. :noidea:

Last edited:

Somebody explain why one team is getting more than the other team for playing the same classic.
Alcorn $230,000
Grambling $320,000

Because one school is from Mississippi and the other is from Louisiana is the reason in the difference in pay.

Because one school is from Mississippi and the other is from Louisiana is the reason in the difference in pay.

Ok........... My turn.
How bout it is a crap classic that one school from Mississippi drop kicked way back in the early 1990's. :nod:

Anybody got a real answer to the payout difference instead of the usual "my redneck state is better than your redneck state" drival.

:uhoh:

Grambling was probably their choice and the Mississippi school just was invited to come along for the ride. If you notice, besides that Chicago classic, those Mississippi schools aren't an attractive draw in Classics by selection committees. Unless there is a Jerry Rice or Air McNair, no one is calling those schools.

Uh oh.......wait until my frat JState83 sees this.

Grabbing :popcorn:

JR.............. You know that payout difference was gonna be the first thing that stuck out like a sore thumb with me. Waiting for BRAVE123 to enlighten me on this. :lol:

Grambling was probably their choice and the Mississippi school just was invited to come along for the ride. If you notice, besides that Chicago classic, those Mississippi schools aren't an attractive draw in Classics by selection committees. Unless there is a Jerry Rice or Air McNair, no one is calling those schools.

Don't know about the "Mississippi schools" but JSU got out of the PIG FOOT CLASSIC barnstorming tours back in the early 1990's. That MOBILE crap was the last every year classic tour we have done. We got one game thats called a classic with a team, TENN ST, that we play every year anyway. And its at the halfway point of both schools in Memphis. :lol:

Sorry dude.............. We don't need that shat.
Ya'll can have them all. :lol:

Last edited:

When Classic Committees are looking for schools they normally want Southern U., Grambling, Florida A&M or Tenneessee State. The Mississippi schools (and everyone else) are secondary thoughts. I know it is not fair but life is not fair.

OK ............. Mississippi schools ain't shat.
Only Louisana schools are worth classics that don't pay you what they say you gonna get paid. Only Louisana schools like SUare stupid enough to keep going back to the same classic, MOBILE, to continue to get but fugged on their checks year after year.

CONGRATS. :tup:

Now can someone answer my question about the payout difference. Why Gram got a extra $100,000 in schollie money while Alcorn didn't get nothing extra from the same classic?

Who signed off on this?!?!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Whoever it was that signed off on this from ALCORN need to be whipped like KIZZY and Kunta. This was ALCORNS home game down on the Reservation before ya'll decided to move it. And on top of moving your home game to Indy, ALCORN is getting $100,000 less than the "visiting" team GRAMBLING? I don't get how Alcorns administration saw this as a good deal over a on campus game.

That is just DUMB.............:lol:

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

This is going to be good. lol

Alcorn $230,000
Grambling $320,000

What the matter.
Alcorn don't have scholorships that need funding also. I'm sure they could use $100,000 for schollies also. :noidea:

It appears Alcorn got punk'd and pimped?

Why Gram got a extra $100,000 in schollie money while Alcorn didn't get nothing extra from the same classic?

I've reached out to the Black Expo people asking for a comment or statement on why the difference in payouts. I have not heard from them yet.

PHD's have no business making money decisions. It shows in the HBCU community.

I've reached out to the Black Expo people asking for a comment or statement on why the difference in payouts. I have not heard from them yet.

Cool............... :tup:

If the Black Expo respond, I expect them to give the very same response with me. The Mississippi school was NOT their primary choice......we'll see though, I know they have to be somewhat political about their answer.

The payout difference is unbelievable and a sure embarassment. Alcorn would've made more than that 230,000 dollars by hosting it's own game.
Somebody from the upper level administration must be pocketing the payout difference.

Only Louisana schools are worth classics that don't pay you what they say you gonna get paid. Only Louisana schools like SUare stupid enough to keep going back to the same classic, MOBILE, to continue to get but fugged on their checks year after year.

Now can someone answer my question about the payout difference. Why Gram got a extra $100,000 in schollie money while Alcorn didn't get nothing extra from the same classic?

Hold up Frat. That was nothing to do with SU in Mobile. We played Bama State when it was our home game in Baton Rouge.We didn't give up our home game for that. Only one AD did some stupid isht at SU like that. Even if we didn't get a dime to go to Mobile we came out on top versus having to drive all the way to Montgomery. Mobile is straight down I-10 for SU. Way easier and cheaper than going to Montgomery. It was Bama State moving their HOME game down there. If anything getting that paycheck from the GCC was extra in my book. Remember for awhile they alternated us and JSU in Mobile. Same as PV is doing with both our schools in Shreveport. One thing you could say about ole Marino Casem and then Floyd Kerr later on was that SU was not just going to go cheap to any ole Classic. Even LaFluer was smart enough to get some money before we went anywhere. Even that stupid deal to move our home game to Jackson he and Clayton brokered did pay out. More than a Classic would have. So yall can leave SU out of this one. LOL.

The Circle City Classic has lost it's luster. We went a couple of times. Once to play Hampton and the other to play NC A&T. I think one was in 98 or 99 and the other one was in 94.

Last edited:

Somebody just wants some extra attention from another school. Schools that tend to go to multiple classics and not have many home games usually struggle with consistent home attendance, so some can HAVE their classics. We don't need 'em.

Hold up Frat. That was nothing to do with SU in Mobile. We played Bama State when it was our home game in Baton Rouge. Even if we didn't get a dime to go to Mobile we came out on top versus having to drive all the way to Montgomery. Mobile is straight down I-10 for SU. Way easier and cheaper than going to Montgomery. It was Bama State moving their HOME game down there. If anything getting that paycheck from the GCC was extra in my book. Remember for awhile they alternated us and JSU in Mobile. Same as PV is doing with both our schools in Shreveport. One thing you could say about ole Marino Casem and then Floyd Kerr later on was that SU was not just going to go cheap to any ole Classic. Even LaFluer was smart enough to get some money before we went anywhere. Even that stupid deal in Jackson he and Clayton brokered did pay out. So yall can leave SU out of this one.

The Circle City Classic has lost it's luster. We went a couple of times. Once to play Hampton and the other to play NC A&T. I think one was in 98 or 99 and the other one was in 94.

That's why I find this situation so fascinating. If this game were played in Lorman, as was originally scheduled, Grambling would not have gotten anything for making the trip.

Back