How does A Jones do it?

Raoul

Is Coach Jones of A&M that good of an instructor? Is his staff that profient? Jones seems to have low recruiting ability. The classes he brings in are many years deemed to be week and last minute signees. Yet, he has been consistantly near the top of the SWAC in on field performance. Now I hear a rumor (that all I see it as) about Curtis Luper an Auburn coach getting canned and maybe going to AAMU as an Asst Head. Luper is widely held as a master recruiter. Where would that put the Bulldogs??????? That move makes no sense but this info came from an Auburn backer last night.

Is Coach Jones of A&M that good of an instructor? Is his staff that profient? Jones seems to have low recruiting ability. The classes he brings in are many years deemed to be week and last minute signees. Yet, he has been consistantly near the top of the SWAC in on field performance. Now I hear a rumor (that all I see it as) about Curtis Luper an Auburn coach getting canned and maybe going to AAMU as an Asst Head. Luper is widely held as a master recruiter. Where would that put the Bulldogs??????? That move makes no sense but this info came from an Auburn backer last night.

Thats exactly why you never analyse HBCU recruiting classes.... leave that to FBS football. How can you say one recruiting class is better than another when we dont know anything about 90% of the players we sign.... None of our schools are getting a class lead by all 3 to 5 star recruits....Thats why I laugh at schools claiming "we have all this talent".... but then I at the end of the season I see AAMU leading the conference with ALL SWAC players. You cant break down an HBCU recruiting class like a FBS recruiting class.

Jones has kept the same staff he had when he got to AAMU.... thats his key IMO. With the exception of Totten and Grady Brown...our coaching staff has pretty much stayed the same.

Since Jones got to AAMU in 2002, he has had only two seasons that did not produce at least 7 wins.

It is call team effort. If you don't go to class, you did not support the team. You do something that in outside the team effort you are responsible. In a discussion, he said that coaches work with athletes everyday and what fans see and what they see is two different things. Often times fans think that a certain player should be on the field, but as fans we don't have no idea of what the athlete is going through. When a coach will take the time to explain things, we have a better understanding of wins and losses. When we developed our support group, it was all about supporting AAMU and the coaching staff in all sports. We are not in the bussiness of who the coach should be, but provide all the legal support we can to the coach and program.
During the GSU game I was introduced to the parents of a player who said that he was disappointed that AAMU did not recruit his son. He went on to tell me that I would see what AAMU missed. I simply said that maybe your son played a position that AAMU did not need and to my understanding if they are solid in that position they do not recruit a RB if they need tackles. But I went on to say that if your Son is a good athlete, I willing to bet you the coaching staff has a file on him. In recruiting AJ understand how much of the pie is available. You have 12 football schools less than 200 miles that AAMU has to compete with, therefore, it is important have the scholarships are used. I don't think we need Luper for recruiting and if he comes; who will pay him?

Last edited:
I tried to tell yall that other thread. Jones is not high octane power coach, but he wins. If Jones was suppose to go to a PWC powerhouse, he would never lose with the talent he would get.

I think he's scared of Cee. And when Cee calls him out, he starts winning.

Something else to consider as far as AAMU's football program is concerned, we have won a championship in every decade since the 1960s no matter what conference we have been in. Also during this time period, it should also be noted that we have a some losing seasons now and then, but not a whole lot. We've always been in contention. When the move was made to join the SWAC, I think the only question most diehard fans had was not if but when are we gonna win our first championship. There is always room for improvement, yet our program is solid. Before Jones we had probably 10 coaches in a 25 year span which has kept us from winning more championships. I'm one of those that definitely feels Coach Jones let maybe 2 SCGs get away from him, but I appreciate the consistency as well as the fact that our players under his leadership has been handling there business in the classroom and you rarely if ever hear of them getting into trouble......

Last edited:
A. Jones has been doing a great job year in and year out at A&M with a shoe string budget. This is the same guy that the A&M fans want to run out year in and year out.

A. Jones has been doing a great job year in and year out at A&M with a shoe string budget. This is the same guy that the A&M fans want to run out year in and year out.

We never had a shoe string budget. When we came into the SWAC, I said that the school that were winning would not increase their budgets and this would allow us to build a D1 program. We invested and was doing ok until those who do not like athetics got involved. When faced with the issues, you start looking elsewhere, but now we have corrected all those issues, we are back on track. When those fans you speak of talk with me, I ask them if they are willing to pay $250,000 for a headcoach and atleast $100,000 each for a DC and OC. Bottom line is many of us know the difference between a program and just being a coach. Even after the SCG last year a large number of folks wanted to get rid of AJ, but those who are close to the program know that winning come with development and development comes with support.

The bottom line is no one really wanted Jones fired. What we and I say we because when you follow, purchase, support AAMU you have a right to voice your opinion, is Jones to held accountable. Jones is a good coach, but he is stubborn. He has a play book and all we wanted him to do was open his play book up. The biggest problem with AAMU has never been money, it has always been the old clique vs the new clique. Times are changing and both better accept change. Yes old money talks, but it can only go so far before you will need the new support. Reality is what it is. Just like me and my crew got the Army to hook up the engineering department we can get other things done. believe that!!! The president doesn't just work for the old crew, he works to keep his job also.

Well football at AAMU is to be applauded. The rest of the athletic department is currently suspect. Maybe the new AD will make a difference. My child is a bulldog graduate now and loves the school enough to want to work there while getting a masters.

Ain't this the same dude who played a one-legged QB in the conference championship game?

Ain't this the same dude who played a one-legged QB in the conference championship game?

Have you ever been to a pewee football game, where the Coach wants his son to shine NO MATTER WHAT? Imagine that at the collegiate level.... (well look at Doug and Dougie Jr.)... SAME exact thing with Jones and Mason. Jones wanted SOOOO bad for Mason to lead AAMU to the championship last year.

Have you ever been to a pewee football game, where the Coach wants his son to shine NO MATTER WHAT? Imagine that at the collegiate level.... (well look at Doug and Dougie Jr.)... SAME exact thing with Jones and Mason. Jones wanted SOOOO bad for Mason to lead AAMU to the championship last year.

Didn't know that back story. Thanks for sharing.

Well, I am impressed with what Jones has done at AAMU but I don't see where he is such a great coach. He can't win the big game but what he does do is remain consistent. This thread was started becasue he is 6-0 THIS YEAR. He has one championship in 10 years and I think he has 3 losing seasons in that 10 year span. Is that good?

Where is Mr. SWAC?

2 in only 11 including this year.
Well, I am impressed with what Jones has done at AAMU but I don't see where he is such a great coach. He can't win the big game but what he does do is remain consistent. This thread was started becasue he is 6-0 THIS YEAR. He has one championship in 10 years and I think he has 3 losing seasons in that 10 year span. Is that good?

Where is Mr. SWAC?

The biggest problem with AAMU has never been money, it has always been the old clique vs the new clique. Times are changing and both better accept change. Yes old money talks, but it can only go so far before you will need the new support. Reality is what it is. Just like me and my crew got the Army to hook up the engineering department we can get other things done. believe that!!! The president doesn't just work for the old crew, he works to keep his job also.

CEE

the old clique vs the new clique

You hit it on the head, I would say that's the problem with a majority of the HBCU's. I am thinking five to eight years ago, TN State had a lot of outside support from local businesses, donating big money to the school. Over the years. TSU put the wrong people in charge and they lost contrabutions from the Frist Foundation, yes the HCA Folks as well as the Ingram Foundation, these are the folks that own the barges you see on the TN River.

They are the "new" the old is saying keep things as they are....

CEE

You hit it on the head, I would say that's the problem with a majority of the HBCU's. I am thinking five to eight years ago, TN State had a lot of outside support from local businesses, donating big money to the school. Over the years. TSU put the wrong people in charge and they lost contrabutions from the Frist Foundation, yes the HCA Folks as well as the Ingram Foundation, these are the folks that own the barges you see on the TN River.

They are the "new" the old is saying keep things as they are....

What's going on Dr. H? Even though I was just a kid, I used to keep up with TSUs program back in the day. I always wondered what would have happened if Joe Gilliam was allowed to take over after John Merrit. Any thoughts about this?

What's going on Dr. H? Even though I was just a kid, I used to keep up with TSUs program back in the day. I always wondered what would have happened if Joe Gilliam was allowed to take over after John Merrit. Any thoughts about this?

Bulldog

As they say down home "Ain't nothing Shaking, but the leaves on the tree" I talked with Pat about a month ago.

Scratching, my head, that’s a loaded question. A majority of the TSU’ers wanted Coach Gilliam [Tic], to take over after Coach Merritt. When BT was announced as he HC, the TSU Family was sick and that was the beginning of the downfall or TSU Football.

If, Gilliam, had become head coach, I think we would be much further advance in football than any HBCU and most PWC. Yes, we would be able to compete and defeat the YSU, Montana, Richmond’s and others.

The players loved playing for him, but he did not accept excuses for missing classes and assignments on the field, he was an old school disciplinarian and the “New Athlete” could not understand or accept his type of discipline. Joe was tough and hard on his classroom students and players, but had a heart of gold.

There were four or five students had to leave TN State, because Joe demanded the best from them, Robert P, transferred to SCSU. If my memory serves me correctly one of the others was the son of Jim Marsalis. Jim, was a TSU graduate, played with the Chiefs.

Joe, was not given a fair chance, by some of the parents and Hefner. Some of the girls would call their parents complaining about Coach Joe., if you are late for practice you rolled the field and ran the hill. You miss class, extra study hall, then you rolled the fill and ran the hill. There was no practice without pads.

When the complaining started Joe knew his days were numbered, then we have Bill Davis, OMG what a Joke.

I recall, Hefner calling Joe and saying, some of the players has been complaining - He's to hard on us.

Check this out:

Joe Gilliam, Sr. is one of the most respected coaches in the history of the game. He began his intercollegiate football career at Indiana University, where he played on the Hoosiers' national championship football team. He then went into the armed services, and upon his discharge, enrolled at West Virginia State College, where he played both basketball and football. At West Virginia State College, he received All-American honors as a quarterback and earned a place in the Yellow Jackets' Sports Hall of Fame. Coach Gilliam began his 35-year coaching career on the high school level in Kentucky, where he earned the Kentucky High School Football Association's Coach of the Year title.

Here is what the youngsters don’t understand, Coach Joe, has written four books on football two on D and two on O and countless articles. Folks, don’t believe it but the “Shotgun and Run and Gun” was from the mindset of Joe. Cooley, took it to MSVS with Jerry Rice. Remember, Grambling was running the Wing T and TSU was running the "Run and Gun" and Shotgun, this was backin the late 60's until BIG JOHN retired.

Side Note: Coach McClendon, started the four cornes at TSU, Dean Smith copied and received all the propm and circumstance. If my memory serves me correctly, Coach Mc, started the four cornes at Winston - Salem (I think).

It was not until after his retirement he wrote these books

• Coaching the Empty Backfield Offense provides a detailed look at an innovative offensive scheme of attack that can be employed effectively against all types of defenses.

• The kicking game can turn games around and outright win games for coaches who put its importance alongside game control, outstanding defensive play, and offensive execution.

• This innovative new reference covers defensive philosophy, tackling, down linemen, linebackers, defensive backs, red zone defense, and also offers detailed information on how to design effective running and weight training programs.

• The second edition of this best-selling work by Coach Joe Gilliam, Sr. offers step-by-step instructions on how to develop and execute a multiple formations offense.

Side note: Guess who is reading his books, sure isn’t HBCU Coaches. Guess, where Boots Donally and yes ole UT Phil would spend their time during the off season, with Coach Merritt and his Staff.

If you want to learn football

https://coacheschoice.com/m-182-joe-w-gilliam-sr.aspx

Joe in an interviews with Dr. Haney, listen to the wisdom. There are two or four "segments" on YouTube

[video=youtube;9uBeX221fq4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uBeX221fq4[/video]

#2 "Work Ethic"

[video=youtube;7QwXelvxmpw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QwXelvxmpw&feature=relmfu[/video]

Last edited:
I've heard stories of Merritt being one of the most crooked coaches in BCF history... And these stories came from alums. the NCAA didn't really care about HBCU football back then.

Negative, maybe when he was at JSU. It was a toss up between:

Eddie Robinson
Alonzo Gaither [a/k/a Jake]
John Merritt

Last edited:
Interesting....when Gilliam finally did become the H.C., I had a cousin out of Huntsville that played on the team. I remember asking him what it was like playing for Gilliam and his words were indeed something like, "he is too old school.." LOL

It's been a while since I've posted, but I do want to comment on this. Jones is a better coach than people give him credit for. He is records over the years prove it. He may not have a bunch of title to go with those wins, but he know football. I think its because of Jones' personality that people don't give he a lot of credit. He doesn't try to be bigger than the program like a lot of other coaches try to be.

It's been a while since I've posted, but I do want to comment on this. Jones is a better coach than people give him credit for. He is records over the years prove it. He may not have a bunch of title to go with those wins, but he know football. I think its because of Jones' personality that people don't give he a lot of credit. He doesn't try to be bigger than the program like a lot of other coaches try to be.

What was the other topic being discussed

"WORK ETHIC"

Years later, the players on TN State's team, don't mind the extra work. In the words of Reed (2011) to a player, if you can't do what you are being told "Get off my field, pack your bags and go home".

Last edited:
REALLY u guys talking like Jones is GOOD.....Can u say OVERRATED....Those first few games were all against bad teams except Pine Bluff!

Back