Notre Dame rape cover-up?

Kendrick

Administrator
Staff member
Lizzy Seeberg, a 19-year-old freshman at Notre Dame's sister school, Saint Mary's College, committed suicide in September, 10 days after reporting that she had been fondled against her will by a Notre Dame football player whose aggressiveness terrified her so much that she froze, cried, and broke out in a rash.

The accused, a star whom head coach Brian Kelly has publicly praised in interviews both before and after Lizzy's death, has a history of behavior problems that continued even after he was recruited by Notre Dame; he was suspended during his senior year in high school for throwing a desk at a teacher who'd taken away his cell phone.

Yet after Lizzy's allegations, he never sat out a single game, during a time that he could not have been "cleared," because he was not even interviewed by authorities until five days after she died -- 15 days after she'd filed her complaint. "How did they even know it was a 'he said/she said,' '' Lizzy's mother Mary asks, "when they didn't talk to the guy for 15 days? They didn't know what he'd say.

Politics Daily has also confirmed that the accused player was suspended in high school for aggressive behavior towards a teacher, according to a newspaper account published at the time because he was a star player.

The mother of a former classmate of the accused told me that after years of complaints that he regularly bullied other students, he was expelled from middle school in the 7th grade for threatening a girl.

The lawyer they hired just to get the school to communicate with them reported back that Notre Dame's general counsel, Marianne Corr, had this message for them:

"I hope the Seebergs know how bad this could get for them'' if they ever went public.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/1...mily-feels-violated-notre-dame-football-star/

DAYUM.....ND plays hard and heavy.

Lizzy Seeberg, a 19-year-old freshman at Notre Dame's sister school, Saint Mary's College, committed suicide in September, 10 days after reporting that she had been fondled against her will by a Notre Dame football player whose aggressiveness terrified her so much that she froze, cried, and broke out in a rash.

The accused, a star whom head coach Brian Kelly has publicly praised in interviews both before and after Lizzy's death, has a history of behavior problems that continued even after he was recruited by Notre Dame; he was suspended during his senior year in high school for throwing a desk at a teacher who'd taken away his cell phone.

Yet after Lizzy's allegations, he never sat out a single game, during a time that he could not have been "cleared," because he was not even interviewed by authorities until five days after she died -- 15 days after she'd filed her complaint. "How did they even know it was a 'he said/she said,' '' Lizzy's mother Mary asks, "when they didn't talk to the guy for 15 days? They didn't know what he'd say.

Politics Daily has also confirmed that the accused player was suspended in high school for aggressive behavior towards a teacher, according to a newspaper account published at the time because he was a star player.

The mother of a former classmate of the accused told me that after years of complaints that he regularly bullied other students, he was expelled from middle school in the 7th grade for threatening a girl.

The lawyer they hired just to get the school to communicate with them reported back that Notre Dame's general counsel, Marianne Corr, had this message for them:

"I hope the Seebergs know how bad this could get for them'' if they ever went public.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/1...mily-feels-violated-notre-dame-football-star/

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
"Lizzy had struggled with an anxiety disorder and depression since her freshman year at Loyola Academy. She made the varsity cheerleading squad at the school, but started having what first seemed like asthma symptoms that were really panic attacks. She felt better once she transferred to a public school where she was under less pressure. According to the records her family gave me, she'd fought back suicidal thoughts periodically since high school, too. But she was also the liveliest girl at any party, a country music fan who loved cooking, hammering nails for Habitat for Humanity, and leading her church youth group. "Lizzy was always idling at a little higher RPM,'' said her father, a commercial insurance broker. "Didn't she eat life up?'' he asked his wife."

Could that be what they were referring to? :noidea:

I can imagine it is quite painful to lose a daughter so young, but the family may have unrealistic expectations when it comes to their relationship with the university. I believe most schools would lawyer up in situations like this. Is it reasonable to expect a school to be open and forthcoming when they know they are about to be hit with a lawsuit? In today's litigious society, I believe most schools would be cautious. That may not be the nice, kind or even religious thing to do, but it reflects today's reality.

It seems to me that the family should go ahead and take this to court instead of trying it in the media. Unless that is part of their strategy ....

"Lizzy had struggled with an anxiety disorder and depression since her freshman year at Loyola Academy. She made the varsity cheerleading squad at the school, but started having what first seemed like asthma symptoms that were really panic attacks. She felt better once she transferred to a public school where she was under less pressure. According to the records her family gave me, she'd fought back suicidal thoughts periodically since high school, too. But she was also the liveliest girl at any party, a country music fan who loved cooking, hammering nails for Habitat for Humanity, and leading her church youth group. "Lizzy was always idling at a little higher RPM,'' said her father, a commercial insurance broker. "Didn't she eat life up?'' he asked his wife."

Could that be what they were referring to? :noidea:

I can imagine it is quite painful to lose a daughter so young, but the family may have unrealistic expectations when it comes to their relationship with the university. I believe most schools would lawyer up in situations like this. Is it reasonable to expect a school to be open and forthcoming when they know they are about to be hit with a lawsuit? In today's litigious society, I believe most schools would be cautious. That may not be the nice, kind or even religious thing to do, but it reflects today's reality.

It seems to me that the family should go ahead and take this to court instead of trying it in the media. Unless that is part of their strategy ....

From what I understand the only reason the family went to the media in the first place was because the school wouldn't give them any answers. Plus, the school's police department did not talk to the player about the incident until a week after the girl died.

That is really odd. If a student accuses another student of anything, more than likely the accused is going to be interviewed by someone at the school.

From what I understand the only reason the family went to the media in the first place was because the school wouldn't give them any answers. Plus, the school's police department did not talk to the player about the incident until a week after the girl died.

That is really odd. If a student accuses another student of anything, more than likely the accused is going to be interviewed by someone at the school.

Do you know how often date rape and other sexual assaults occur on college campuses every year? This is not Notre Dame's first rodeo. I'm sure they have a lot of practice covering things up, sweeping things under the rug and hoping things go away quietly - hoping to avoid litigation.

I know of a two situations at another college where young women claimed they were raped by athletes. The school lawyered up, stayed quiet and hoped the thing went away. It did. The girls didn't pursue it and nothing came of it.

In my opinion, going to the media solves nothing. The family should just take Notre Dame and that young man to court and sue them for everything they have.

Back