Top 10 Bands That Are On Tap For The Sudler Trophy

Unknowm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/90751-top-10-bands-that-are-on-tap-for-the-sudler-trophy

1. The University of Southern California Trojan Marching Band
2. The Ohio University Marching 110
3. Grambling State University Tiger Marching Band
4. University of Tennessee Pride of the Southland Band
5. University of California - Berkeley Marching Band
6. University of Notre Dame Band of the Fighting Irish
7. Jackson State University Sonic Boom of the South
8. Florida State University Marching Chiefs
9. Jacksonville State University Marching Southerners
10. Northwestern State University "Spirit of Northwestern" Marching Band

Not to single out any bands on that list, but I think all of your music ensembles, especially the one that gets the must publicity should be of high quality, and one of those bands most definitely does not belong on that list.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/90751-top-10-bands-that-are-on-tap-for-the-sudler-trophy

The person that wrote this can't know that you can only get the Sudler once. Grambling should have gotten a Sudler in the 80's. FYI, the only way another HBCU would get a Sudler is the band directors would have to be good buddies with a lot of the PWC band directors that are on the Sousa Committee, until then i don't see it happening anytime soon. It's who you know. FAMU's Foster was good friends with many of the PWC's directors, he got in their click and it got him a Sudler. I think it's good award to get but it won't make or break your program.

Last edited:
I mean while USC has done a lot of things, I think they are overrated and are completely outclassed by the other bands on that list. A band deserving of that award should always put on a great performance, no matter the venue, and that horrible pep band that they threw together to go against us at that baseball game was just embarrassing. I think Notre Dame and Tennessee should be at the top of the list.

I thought the rule was that a band can only get the award ONCE under the direction of ONE band director...meaning if a band gets a new director, that band can qualify for another Sudler if they already won one under their previous director.

The Sudler Trophy identifies and recognizes collegiate marching bands of particular excellence who have made outstanding contributions to the American way of life. The Sudler Trophy is awarded annually to a college or university marching band which has demonstrated the highest musical standards and innovative marching routines and ideas, and which has made important contributions to the advancement of the performance standards of college marching bands over a period of years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Philip_Sousa_Foundation

Ohio State and Northwestern University have already won the Sudler so they can't win it again.

Not many bands fit the credentials set by the Sousa committee. I admitt, many Great bands are on the list and haven't won the Sudler but who fits the credentials? That why i say GSU should have gotten that award in the 80's, can't be disputed.

The Sudler Trophy identifies and recognizes collegiate marching bands of particular excellence who have made outstanding contributions to the American way of life. The Sudler Trophy is awarded annually to a college or university marching band which has demonstrated the highest musical standards and innovative marching routines and ideas, and which has made important contributions to the advancement of the performance standards of college marching bands over a period of years.

Ohio State and Northwestern University have already won the Sudler so they can't win it again.

Not many bands fit the credentials set by the Sousa committee. I admitt, many Great bands are on the list and haven't won the Sudler but who fits the credentials? That why i say GSU should have gotten that award in the 80's, can't be disputed.

I agree. Not only Grambling should have won it but SU and JSU should have had it a long time ago. FAMU deserved it but come on. LSU, Indiana, and a few others on that have won it shouldn't have been considered before SU, GSU, or JSU.

I agree. Not only Grambling should have won it but SU and JSU should have had it a long time ago. FAMU deserved it but come on. LSU, Indiana, and a few others on that have won it shouldn't have been considered before SU, GSU, or JSU.

Like i said earlier, if our directors aren't in the clique we will never win it lol. I predict a Meac band will win it before a SWAC band does, because they run behind them white boys at those PWC's in that other conference. They have that white is right mentality.:lol:

The Sudler Award selection process is damn near the same as the Honda BOTB selection process....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

:wavey: Ohio State isn't The Ohio University and Northwestern University isn't Northwestern State University.

:wavey: Ohio State isn't The Ohio University and Northwestern University isn't Northwestern State.

I know like hell their not talking about Northwestern in Natchitoches, what the hell have they done? lol

Yeah, look for BCU, Howard, or Norfolk to be the next HBCU.

Wouldn't be surprised if SCSU wasn't in the mix also. Don't think Howard would get it.

Last edited:
The real consideration for the Sudler is the body of work over time. With that in mind, here is my ranking of the 10.

1. Grambling State University Tiger Marching Band
2. University of Notre Dame Band of the Fighting Irish
3. The University of Southern California Trojan Marching Band
5. Jackson State University Sonic Boom of the South
6. Florida State University Marching Chiefs
7. The Ohio University Marching 110
8. University of California - Berkeley Marching Band

But...if I rank them over the last 20 years, things change quite a bit.
1. The Ohio University Marching 110
2. Florida State University Marching Chiefs
3. The University of Southern California Trojan Marching Band
4. Jackson State University Sonic Boom of the South
5. University of Tennessee Pride of the Southland Band
6. Grambling State University Tiger Marching Band
7 .Northwestern State University "Spirit of Northwestern" Marching Band
8. University of Notre Dame Band of the Fighting Irish
10. University of California - Berkeley Marching Band

Schools deserving to be included but not mentioned in this 10 are:
  • Northern Illinois
  • Texas Tech
  • Bethune-Cookman University

A lot will depend on who is doing the voting. Contrary to popular belief, the best way to move up in the Sudler rankings has proven to be the performance of the WIND ENSEMBLE at the Midwest Clinic in Chicago.

Southern should be on that list. Miss. Valley in the early eighties should have won the award.

I don't see a HBCU winning the Sudler anytime soon unless they are apart of the Midwest Clinic, it's about who know and mingle with. The rules they have set forth for this process is just a smoke screen.

Actually, NWST (Northwestern State in Nat, La) has a very, very good band program. You don't have to "hunch" the ground and/or hump the air to be considered good. lol

Back