Schools that should join the SWAC

Where? And with who?

Dude....................FAMU carries no more name recognition than GRAM, SU, JSU in the land of sports.
Yep ................... I know................100 and all that.
Big deal...................I'd rather just sign a home and home deal like someone else said.

What is it with all this crap about FAMU in the SWAC will make a bunch of people that don't follow the SWAC suddenly sit up and take notice because FAMU is in it.

FAMU in the SWAC would be a geographical nightmare.
And why is it everytime someone mention's expansion, people start bouncing the same ole collection of schools around that can't win OUTSIDE of HBCU land.

Can we at least pull the curtain back a little and add a NON hbcu into the equation for a change.

Dude....................FAMU carries no more name recognition than GRAM, SU, JSU in the land of sports.
Yep ................... I know................100 and all that.
Big deal...................I'd rather just sign a home and home deal like someone else said.

What is it with all this crap about FAMU in the SWAC will make a bunch of people that don't follow the SWAC suddenly sit up and take notice because FAMU is in it.

FAMU in the SWAC would be a geographical nightmare.
And why is it everytime someone mention's expansion, people start bouncing the same ole collection of schools around that can't win OUTSIDE of HBCU land.

Can we at least pull the curtain back a little and add a NON hbcu into the equation for a change.

I'm no MEAC expert, but the only reason people flock to FAMU football games is to see the band. (I hate that so much) No one outside their campus gives a care about the FAMU football team or any other sport when that school is just a few miles down the road from Florida State.

I agree that maybe we should look at other schools, too. But those schools have to pull their weight and be of significant value to the conference both athletically and academically.

I'm no MEAC expert, but the only reason people flock to FAMU football games is to see the band. (I hate that so much) No one outside their campus gives a care about the FAMU football team or any other sport when that school is just a few miles down the road from Florida State.

I agree that maybe we should look at other schools, too. But those schools have to pull their weight and be of significant value to the conference both athletically and academically.

Shat....................Try RIGHT ACROSS THE AVENUE with FAMU.
Where Florida State ends, FAMU begins. :nod:

Academics is why I said Skeege would be a good fit in the SWAC.
I honestly believe thay could bring there sport's program up in recruiting on the 1-AA level by having that name ...............TUSKEEGE and being in the SWAC.............D1.

Tennessee already has JSU as a rival every year.
SU can RESTART their series with them.
A&M already play's them on a regular.
Gram in the mix, etc.

NO PARENT would ever question the level of education of their kid at SKEEGE.:winkgrin:
AND THAT'S NOT A SWIPE AT ANY OTHER INSTITUTIONS INCLUDING JSU.:goof:

I like Tuskeegee. It just seems like a fit. Natural rivals with the Bamas.

I prefer TnSU as well. They should have always been in the SWAC.

The Division I move not with standing, would Tuskegee's president and alums seriously consider being the only private affiliated institution in the SWAC?

Often times to negotiate a deal such as expansion for one team it may consist of a package deal (i.e. Tennesse State and Florida A & M, both rivals and long standing athletic history; Florida A & M and Bethune-Cookman, both rivals and long standing athletic history; or Tuskegee and Clark-Atlanta, both rivals and founding members of the SIAC).

Think About It!!

The Division I move not with standing, would Tuskegee's president and alums seriously consider being the only private affiliated institution in the SWAC?

Often times to negotiate a deal such as expansion for one team it may consist of a package deal (i.e. Tennesse State and Florida A & M, both rivals and long standing athletic history; Florida A & M and Bethune-Cookman, both rivals and long standing athletic history; or Tuskegee and Clark-Atlanta, both rivals and founding members of the SIAC).

Think About It!!

Jafus,

I've been told as long as Dr. Payton is in charge at Tuskegee, they will remain at the D-2 level. Academics come first. It appears only football is a priority in the athletic dept. Title 9 requirements and funding of other sports may be a problem.

My vote is to add UCA (University of Arkansas at Conway).

I cover the Southland, and it's funny that I made an argument for some Southland schools and SWAC schools to join, based on location of the majority of schools, built-in natural rivalries and good competition without all the travel costs.

If you would take the I-AA schools in Louisiana (SU, Gram, Nicholls, NW State, McNeese, Southeastern)...throw them in with Jackson, Alcorn and Valley...plus UCA and Pine Bluff...that could be a somewhat decent 12-team league.

Central Arkansas would give UAPB a natural rival, but with them just getting into I-AA and the Southland, it would be a tad bit difficult for them at the moment.

However, I just said that above for argument's sake at the job.

I just don't see travel time being a major issue with FAMU. With 12 schools, FAMU would not have to play Texas Southern, Prairie View, UAPB, every year in football. In basketball, in the Big East, which has 16 teams, some conference teams don't even meet during the regular season and in the SEC some teams only meet once. So basically the SWAC could simply limit the number of matchups between FAMU, TSU, UAPB and PV.....but we all know the SWAC isn't going to add ANYONE in the near future.

I also agree, in fantasy land, some sort of SWAC-Southland merger would be interesting. But that's so crazy it probably isn't even worth going into detail.

How about we exchange Valley for TNState. Valley should be D2 all day long!!

Also, there is not sense in expanding. Expand for what?

Back