During the three-day event, Angel Rosa (Alcorn State), Jose De Leon (Southern), and Cory Jordan (Grambling State) were drafted moving the count of SWAC baseball players selected overall to 249.
Rosa (SS • 6-2 • 182 • Sr. • Guaynabo, PR / Puerto Rico Baseball Academy) was selected in the 13th round with the 397th overall pick by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Rosa, 2013 Pre-Season SWAC Player of the Year, finished the last year with a .294 batting average. He also led the Braves in stolen bases (17), on base percentage (.372) and recorded 50 hits and 26 runs scored.
An All-SWAC First Team selection in 2013, De Leon (RHP • R/R • 6-2 • 210 • Sr. • Isabela, Puerto Rico / Colegio San Antonio) was picked in the 24th round with the 724th pick by the Los Angeles Dodgers. He finished with a 4-3 overall record and in the top ten in the league in ERA (3.28) and innings pitched (81.2). He led the Jaguars with 73 strikeouts including 25 strikeouts looking. Both marks were ranked second in the conference.
Jordan (RHP • R/R • 6-5 • 215 • Sr. • Houston, Texas / Bellaire HS) was taken by the Tampa Bay Rays in the 35th round with the 1,058th overall selection. Last year as a relief pitcher, Jordan finished with a 2-3 overall record, two saves and a 4.22 ERA. He recorded 27 strikeouts while appearing in 14 games in relief.
SWAC MLB Draft Notes
- There has been a player from the SWAC drafted every year since the amatuer draft started in 1965
- The players drafted in 2013 moves the SWAC count of baseball players of current member institutions drafted to 249
- The last time the SWAC had three or more players drafted was 2011 – Chretien Matz (Arkansas-Pine Bluff / Detroit Tigers), Frazier Hall (Southern / L.A. Angels), Cody Hall (Southern / San Francisco Giants), Rodarrick Jones (Southern, Pittsburgh Pirates), and Eldred Barnett (Grambling State / San Francisco Giants)
- Jose DeLeon becomes 91st player drafted from Southern and first since Frazier Hall was drafted in 2011. SU continues to lead the SWAC in baseball players drafed by a MLB team.
- Angel Rosa becomes the 12th player in Alcorn State baseball history to be selected via the draft and first since 2007 after Marcus Davis was selected by the Pittsburgh Pirates
- Cory Jordan becomes Grambling State’s 51st player and fourth consecutive drafted overall since 2010. Chris Wolfe was drafted by the Oakland Athletics in 2012. GSU is ranked second among SWAC schools to have a player drafetd by a MLB team
- Rosa becomes the second consecutive shortstop after GSU shortstop, Chris Wolfe, was drafted by the Oakland Athletics
- The last time the SWAC had multiple pitchers drafted was 2007 – Southern’s Baron Short (Angels), Roy Merritt (Mets) and Jeff McCollum (Nationals)
- Rosa becomes the first player from Alcorn State and 15th player from the SWAC drafted by the Angels organization
- De Leon becomes the 11th player from the SWAC and ninth from Southern drafted by the Dodgers organization
- Jordan becomes the first player from Grambling State and third player from the SWAC drafted by the Rays organization