PLAYER AND NEWCOMER
F Shay Holmes, Univ. Arkansas-Pine Bluff; 6-1, JR; Tulsa, OK
Holmes averaged 14.5 points, 12 rebounds, 2.0 assists, 1.0 steals and 3.0 blocks for the Lady Lions last week.
Holmes scored 17 points with 10 rebounds and two blocked shots in a three-point loss to Alabama State last Saturday. Monday against Alabama A&M, Holmes scored 22 points with 14 rebounds, three assists, four blocks and a steal in a 65-59 win.
G Andrew Hayles, Alabama State; 6-5, 190, SR; Mobile, AL
Hayles helped the Hornets to a pair of road wins last week as he averaged 16.5 points and 3.5 rebounds for Alabama State.
Hayles had 11 points, six rebounds, one assist and two steals in a 71-66 win at Arkansas-Pine Bluff. Monday night he scored 11 of his 22 points in the final 2:31, including the game-winning putback at the buzzer to give the Hornets a 65-64 win at Mississippi Valley State in a matchup of the defending regular season and tournament champions from last season.
G Ariece Perkins, Grambling State; 6-0, 180; JR, North Las Vegas, NV
Perkins averaged 14.5 points, 7.0 assists, and 2.0 steals in a pair of wins last week for the Tigers.
Perkins made 21 points, including the game-winning 3-pointer, with three rebounds, four assists and two steals in a 55-53 win over arch-rival Southern last Saturday night. In GSU’s 83-65 win over Alcorn State, Perkins scored eight points with two rebounds, dished out a career-high 10 assists and made two steals.
OTHER NOTABLE PERFORMANCES
- Rachele Dobbins (G, Grambling State) – averaged 11 points, 3.0 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 2.0 blocks vs. Southern and Alcorn State
- Jamie Floyd (F, Southern) – averaged 8.0 points, 8.0 rebounds, 4.0 steals and 2.0 blocks against Grambling State and Jackson State
- Hannah Kador (G, Southern) – averaged 14 points, 4.5 rebounds, 1.0 assists, 2.0 steals and 1.0 blocks
- Brandi Justice (F, Texas Southern) – averaged 11.5 points, 5.5 rebounds, 1.0 assists, 3.0 steals and 0.5 blocks against Prairie View A&M and Houston Baptist
- Kanesha Smith (G, Mississippi Valley State) – averaged 9.0 points and 5.5 rebounds vs. Alabama A&M and Alabama State
- Terrance Calvin (G, UAPB) – averaged 18 points, 4.5 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 3.0 steals vs. Alabama State and Alabama A&M
- Julius Cheeks (G, Mississippi Valley State) – averaged 18.0 points, 3.0 rebounds and 2.0 steals vs. Alabama A&M and Alabama State
- Michael Griffin (G, Prairie View A&M) – scored 16 points with three rebounds and two assists vs. Texas Southern
- Dwayne Harmason (G, Mississippi Valley State) – averaged 15.0 points, 4.5 rebounds and 4.0 assists
- Matt Miller (G, Texas Southern) – scored 21 points with two rebounds at Prairie View A&M