Work /life balance

Not trying to "coddle" him. I just think he needs to do what works for him. I didn't hear lazy in his post. Seems like he does what needs to be done to get the work done. Should he go over and beyond? None of us know that but him. In my opinion, that depends on where and who he works with/for. Sometimes you can work your butt off and it still gets you nowhere; then it's (should be) time to look elsewhere.

In everything, there should be balance. Don't work yourself to death (literally for some) that you don't enjoy life outside of work. Unless you're self-employed, you can work yourself crazy only to be let go- especially in this economy. Employers aren't loyal to you; don't be so loyal to them. Work smart, not hard (unless that's just your true, natural work ethic), and that can be done without over extending yourself with the right game plan.

“The happy life is thought to be one of excellence; now an excellent life requires exertion, and does not consist in amusement.” - Aristotle​

That "just enough to get by" attitude gets people fired. Laid off. Bankrupt. Divorced.

If anything in life is worth doing, it is worth doing well. To be notable in any field, one must be outstanding. Must stand out. In effort. In attitude. In results. No one is suggesting that a person should spend every waking hour working and have no time to enjoy life. However, the willingness to get up early, stay late and work hard is one of the differences in people that cannot be denied. Excellence is valued throughout the world. No matter what field of endeavor, we notice and acclaim those who are outstanding.

“Excellent things are rare.” - Plato​

And, therefore, more valuable. Whether that is an employee, car, jewelry, spouse ... anything. In my opinion, if we have a choice between being excellent and doing just enough to get by ... the higher standard is always preferable.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I am working to retire. The days of chasing massa for his dollar and trying to fit in the white man's special club or work mafia is way beyond me. Yall enjoy. Now on my side hustles I am always working. I work seven days a week.

A couple of books I may suggest for you Kenn,

"Talent is Never Enough"- John C. Maxwell
"Never Eat Alone: And Other Secrets to Success, One Relationship at a Time"- Keith Ferrazzi

I am also an introvert by nature but I have had to learn to break that shell. Many events I go to now, I am the only black in the room and I had to get over the feeling of being isolated and just start talking to people. You would be surprised what comes of these conversations.

I scored an invite to this breakfast on St. Patrick's weekend hosted by the Northern Ireland Diplomatic Office, talked to a few people about my football camp in some casual conversations and now have an invite to a personal reception at the top diplomat from Northern Ireland's house. He said he had a few colleagues from Northern Ireland who might be interested in my camp. Now, I have the opportunity to score some big donors for my camp all based on a conversation. The old me would have probably just sat there quiet the entire breakfast.

“The happy life is thought to be one of excellence; now an excellent life requires exertion, and does not consist in amusement.â€￾ - Aristotle​

That "just enough to get by" attitude gets people fired. Laid off. Bankrupt. Divorced.

If anything in life is worth doing, it is worth doing well. To be notable in any field, one must be outstanding. Must stand out. In effort. In attitude. In results. No one is suggesting that a person should spend every waking hour working and have no time to enjoy life. However, the willingness to get up early, stay late and work hard is one of the differences in people that cannot be denied. Excellence is valued throughout the world. No matter what field of endeavor, we notice and acclaim those who are outstanding.

“Excellent things are rare.â€￾ - Plato​

And, therefore, more valuable. Whether that is an employee, car, jewelry, spouse ... anything. In my opinion, if we have a

choice between being excellent and doing just enough to get by ... the higher standard is always preferable.

1. Who said anything about doing enough just to get by? Some people can be really great at their jobs or careers without having to show up early and leave late. Some have to do that in order to be effective or get the most out of their abilities or talents. I remember hearing a story about a well-known rapper (forget his name) who can spend less than an hour in the studio and come out with multiple top charting hits. Others need to spend several days, weeks and months grinding away before getting the desired results.

Chicago White Sox DH/First baseman Adam Dunn said he doesn't workout much in the offseason like most guys (no batting practice, hitting drills or anything). Not known for staying in the batting cages longer than anyone else or taking extra swings during Spring Training. But Dunn averages 38 homers and 96 RBI a season. His teammate, Paul Konerko, is notorious for just grinding away in the cages, studying his swing and pitchers on video -- just obsessed about hitting.

Everyone is different.

2. The only standards we have to live up to is our own and God's. That's it.

3. You speak about achieving excellence and whatnot. That's great. But for what and prove what to whom?

My mentality about this entire existence of ours has changed dramatically over the last couple of years. Life is more than working 40-80 hours a week, gaining a certain amount of money, acquiring numerous possessions or trying to advance up the corporate ladder. Life has gotta be more than what man or society considers valuable or meaningful.

At the end of the day we all have a different mentality how we approach our careers and lives. There is no one way, right way or blueprint. If it was, then these discussions wouldn't exist. We'd all have the answers.

1. Who said anything about doing enough just to get by? Some people can be really great at their jobs or careers without having to show up early and leave late. Some have to do that in order to be effective or get the most out of their abilities or talents. I remember hearing a story about a well-known rapper (forget his name) who can spend less than an hour in the studio and come out with multiple top charting hits. Others need to spend several days, weeks and months grinding away before getting the desired results.

Chicago White Sox DH/First baseman Adam Dunn said he doesn't workout much in the offseason like most guys (no batting practice, hitting drills or anything). Not known for staying in the batting cages longer than anyone else or taking extra swings during Spring Training. But Dunn averages 38 homers and 96 RBI a season. His teammate, Paul Konerko, is notorious for just grinding away in the cages, studying his swing and pitchers on video -- just obsessed about hitting.

Everyone is different.

2. The only standards we have to live up to is our own and God's. That's it.

3. You speak about achieving excellence and whatnot. That's great. But for what and prove what to whom?

My mentality about this entire existence of ours has changed dramatically over the last couple of years. Life is more than working 40-80 hours a week, gaining a certain amount of money, acquiring numerous possessions or trying to advance up the corporate ladder. Life has gotta be more than what man or society considers valuable or meaningful.

At the end of the day we all have a different mentality how we approach our careers and lives. There is no one way, right way or blueprint. If it was, then these discussions wouldn't exist. We'd all have the answers.

I knew you were going to the Bible ....

Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. - 1 Corinthians 9:24​

Hmmm.

Run in such a way that you WIN! Not just run, but run faster than everybody else. Imagine that. In the Bible.

23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. - Colossians 3:23 - 24​

WITH. ALL. YOUR. HEART.

That's very plain. Very clear.

Don't tell me that you'd actually try to give God that excuse about other people being able to show up late and not try hard. It's not about them. It's about YOU. Doing the very best YOU can do. For what reason, Kendrick? Who are you working for?

Hmmm.

Last edited:
And another:

10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest. - Ecclesiastes 9:10​

Do it with thy might. The best you can do. Whatsoever you find to do.

Y'all have a good evening.

:)

I knew you were going to the Bible ....

Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. - 1 Corinthians 9:24​

Hmmm.

Run in such a way that you WIN! Not just run, but run faster than everybody else. Imagine that. In the Bible.

23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. - Colossians 3:23 - 24​

WITH. ALL. YOUR. HEART.

That's very plain. Very clear.

Don't tell me that you'd actually try to give God that excuse about other people being able to show up late and not try hard. It's not about them. It's about YOU. Doing the very best YOU can do. For what reason, Kendrick? Who are you working for?

Hmmm.

1 Corinthians 9:24, and the versus after that, are speaking about maintaining focus and self-control amid the distractions surrounding us with the ultimate goal of being better people and worthy to God. Running to win is just used as a metaphor to explain that point.

Working for the Lord, as mentioned in Colossians 3:23 - 24, just means submitting to the will of God and not man. We can't be beholden to both man and God.

Finally, I'm not giving you an excuse to advocate for people not working hard. I'm just presenting real examples of real people who achieve success differently. Just because you are not working from sun up to sun down, or get in early and leave late, doesn't mean one isn't working hard or doesn't have a desire to be the best they can be.

As far as who I'm working for, we should all be working for the same man.

I don't believe there is or in a work life balance. Any and every little thing that yor not in con trol of is your fault. Your on borderline terminated watch every minute of your life. Your always wondering if you have a job or career. Nothing is enough. You constantly worry about your future due to not making qoutas having consistency or just plain right being perfect. I can go on... It'll never be a balance. Especially for young college grads and young people trying to fight there employers baby boomers economy and future.... I'm always thinking about work even on off days
You have to learn to seperate work and homelife. While I'm at home, I rarely think about work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a former teacher who always brought stuff home. I had money, but I never had time to enjoy it. So I kind of get where Ken is coming from. My happiness is not within cars, jewelry, or fancy houses. If that is meant for me, I will get it. I give my employer the eight or so hours they ask for and everything else is mine.

The fact that people are getting judged for this is just asinine to me. No one has to meet anyone else's criteria. If you are proud of what you do, then that is enough for me. If you want to or can do more, then that's fine too.

Maybe staying in the office all night is a diversion for what's not happening at home.

Balance is the key to life, period.

I work to live....right now my job is my foundation and I love what I do....but I am still looking for a full-time gig just for retirement purposes.

I was a former teacher who always brought stuff home. I had money, but I never had time to enjoy it. So I kind of get where Ken is coming from. My happiness is not within cars, jewelry, or fancy houses. If that is meant for me, I will get it. I give my employer the eight or so hours they ask for and everything else is mine.

The fact that people are getting judged for this is just asinine to me. No one has to meet anyone else's criteria. If you are proud of what you do, then that is enough for me. If you want to or can do more, then that's fine too.

Maybe staying in the office all night is a diversion for what's not happening at home.

Balance is the key to life, period.

You're right. Everyone has their own approach.

Apologies to Kendrick and anyone else I offended.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Back