Williams: 'I never really was away''

Blacknbengal

CANTON, Ohio (AP) - Ricky Williams wonders what all the fuss is about.

Williams, who returned to the NFL on Monday night with a mediocre performance - 8 yards on five carries - in Miami's 27-24 loss to Chicago in the Hall of Fame game, made it sound as if he never left the sport.

Was that one-year retirement in which he, well, dropped out, a mirage?

"It doesn't seem like I was gone, not even a week," the former NFL rushing king said. "Everywhere I go, I hear 'Welcome back.' But everywhere I have been, I have always been with myself. I'm with myself now more than ever.

"It's funny people say 'Welcome back' when I haven't gone anywhere."

He didn't go much of anywhere against the Bears, but it was the first of five preseason games and the Dolphins got their starters and second-stringers off the field pretty quickly. By the second half, Williams was relaxing on the sideline.

But Williams will need a lot more work this summer because he must sit out the first four regular-season games under an NFL suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy. So to be a factor this season, he'll need a lot more out of the preseason than he got against the Bears.

Read story

Is Ricky still smokin? :uhoh:

Browns, Edwards nearing deal

Browns, Edwards nearing deal

CLEVELAND (AP) - The Browns are close to a deal with rookie wide receiver Braylon Edwards.

Edwards, the No. 3 pick in April's draft, has missed the first 12 days of training camp in a contract holdout. His agent, Lamont Smith, is expected to arrive in Cleveland on Wednesday afternoon to resume talks with the team, a person within the league told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

The source, who said the sides do not have an agreement yet, wanted to remain unidentified due to the sensitivity of the negotiations.

Smith and the team have been discussing various deals the past few days and have recently focused on a five-year package for Edwards, the type of big-play wide receiver Cleveland has coveted since the Browns came back to the NFL in 1999.

Once Edwards does get in camp, he's got some work to do.

First-year Browns coach Romeo Crennel has made it clear that Edwards will have to earn playing time.

"Whenever Braylon gets here, he's going to have to try and catch up," Crennel said on Monday. "We are going to be playing games and we are not going to have time to try to catch him up the way he needs to be caught up because we have to prepare for an opponent. He's just going to have to deal with that and understand that. That's just the way it is whether it's Braylon Edwards or whoever."

When asked if Edwards will be on the bottom of the depth chart, Crennel said: "Thank you." :lol:

Read story

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The Bralyon Edwards on-again, off-again saga is on

Edwards agrees to five-year contract
The Bralyon Edwards on-again, off-again saga is on.

It appeared Edwards would sign his deal hours earlier after arriving at the team's headquarters, but things took a strange turn as he and Smith bolted after negotiations hit a snag.

The pair, along with Edwards' parents and other family members, drove away in a three-car caravan without finishing the deal.

"You don't have a deal until you have a deal," Smith, sitting in the passenger seat of an SUV driven by Edwards' father, Stan, said at about 6:30 p.m. "We're leaving Cleveland."

They didn't get far as Smith stayed in touch with the club and was able to complete a contract that could pay Edwards nearly $20 million in guaranteed money.

Smith and the Browns had exchanged as many as seven proposals while struggling to find common ground. The sides have been hung up on, among other things, the contract's length, maximum value and guaranteed money.

In the past few days, they've been discussing a five-year package - a concession to a request by Smith.

Following practice, Browns coach Romeo Crennel was aware that Edwards and his agent were in the building. And like everyone else, Crennel figured a signing was imminent.

"To my knowledge, no contract has been signed," Crennel said. "Maybe they're still working that out."

Once he signs, Edwards, who was supposed to report on July 25 with the club's other rookies, will be required to pass a conditioning test of several 300-yard shuttle runs.

"He should be able to run it right now," Crennel said. "If he can't, he hasn't been working out enough."

Crennel was asked what his first words for Edwards will be.

"I'll tell him, 'Go run,"' Crennel said.
:lol:

Read story

I'm really starting to like this coach. He's real and down to earth.

Blacknbengal said:

CANTON, Ohio (AP) - Ricky Williams wonders what all the fuss is about.

Williams, who returned to the NFL on Monday night with a mediocre performance - 8 yards on five carries - in Miami's 27-24 loss to Chicago in the Hall of Fame game, made it sound as if he never left the sport.

Was that one-year retirement in which he, well, dropped out, a mirage?

"It doesn't seem like I was gone, not even a week," the former NFL rushing king said. "Everywhere I go, I hear 'Welcome back.' But everywhere I have been, I have always been with myself. I'm with myself now more than ever. :emlaugh: What is that Jibberish?

"It's funny people say 'Welcome back' when I haven't gone anywhere." :confused:

He didn't go much of anywhere against the Bears, but it was the first of five preseason games and the Dolphins got their starters and second-stringers off the field pretty quickly. By the second half, Williams was relaxing on the sideline.

But Williams will need a lot more work this summer because he must sit out the first four regular-season games under an NFL suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy. So to be a factor this season, he'll need a lot more out of the preseason than he got against the Bears.

Read story
He's obviously still High. :uhoh:

Help me out here.

What is his definition of being here?

What is his definition of being gone?

Back