William Carey First To Offer Archery Scholarships

Mace

(I know this is not a HBCU but I wonder if Archery could be viable recruiting tool for some of our HBCUs to consider)

William Carey University freshman Blaze Burkenstock hopes he can qualify for the university’s new archery scholarship when it’s offered in August.

“I was at summer camps and I always did archery,” he said. “I love being in the outdoors, and it’s another way to get a bond going with friends.”

The scholarships will go to those who participate in Carey’s inaugural archery team and meet all the requirements for university admission. Once organized, the team will compete against in-state rivals such as Mississippi College, Mississippi State and Mississippi Valley State.

William Carey President Tommy King said the university is the first in the state to offer an archery scholarship. It’s hoped the scholarships will attract more students, he said.

“It came to our attention that archery is a very fast-growing sport in high schools,” he said. “There are 400 high schools in Mississippi that have archery teams, and if we don’t do it, they’re going to go somewhere else.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...ey-first-offer-archery-scholarships/77950452/

Last edited:
Back