Why enrollment is increasing at HBCUs

Tiger1

HBCUs stand firm as institutions that support critical thinking, cultivate young minds and empower African-American activism while reminding students that these spaces were built for them specifically. A recent working paper published by the Penn Center for Minority Serving Institutions and written by Terrell Strayhorn, professor at The Ohio State University, demonstrated that this positive messaging has a lasting impact. Both Strayhorn's working paper and data from the National Survey of Black Americans demonstrate that black students who attend HBCUs often have higher self-esteem, a more assured racial identity and a more successful elimination of psychological stress resulting from racial tension as compared to their black student counterparts who attend predominantly white institutions.

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/education/292245-why-enrollment-is-increasing-at-hbcus

1F68F8D7-506B-4169-8123-79FBD77C75C2_zpsqcuu6jw9.gif

I see the increase...A&Ms enrollment has grown in the past 2 years trending upward. Our new numbers should be out in a couple of weeks...

Alabama A&M facing over-capacity issues, has students staying in hotels for now
POSTED 6:19 PM, AUGUST 18, 2016, BY CAITLAN DALLAS, UPDATED AT 06:20PM, AUGUST 18, 2016

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - Alabama A&M students and concerned parents have reached out to WHNT News 19 about a housing shortage they are facing right now.

Claims of students who are virtually homeless, staying in hotels for the time being, have been coming into the newsroom. WHNT News 19 took action to find out why this happened and what the next step is.

Some students are out of housing due to over capacity. Alabama A&M's Vice President of Student Affairs Gary Crosby, sets the record straight on what those numbers are.

http://whnt.com/2016/08/18/alabama-...ssues-has-students-staying-in-hotels-for-now/

Last edited:

Enrollment is increasing in general. Hell I think Georgia State is going to have something ridiculous like 50k students this year.

I see the increase...A&Ms enrollment has grown in the past 2 years trending upward. Our new numbers should be out in a couple of weeks...

Alabama A&M facing over-capacity issues, has students staying in hotels for now
POSTED 6:19 PM, AUGUST 18, 2016, BY CAITLAN DALLAS, UPDATED AT 06:20PM, AUGUST 18, 2016

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - Alabama A&M students and concerned parents have reached out to WHNT News 19 about a housing shortage they are facing right now.

Claims of students who are virtually homeless, staying in hotels for the time being, have been coming into the newsroom. WHNT News 19 took action to find out why this happened and what the next step is.

Some students are out of housing due to over capacity. Alabama A&M's Vice President of Student Affairs Gary Crosby, sets the record straight on what those numbers are.

http://whnt.com/2016/08/18/alabama-...ssues-has-students-staying-in-hotels-for-now/

I remembered those overcrowding days at SU back in 80's. In one dorm I stayed in, there were like 5 dudes deep in one dorm room for 3. One of my homeboys had in double bed from home in his dorm room while another homeboy slept on a foam matters that he slid under someone else's bed after he got up. I'm sure things were a lot lax back then compared too now.

Back