Why aren't graduation rates broken down better?

CEE DOG

Wouldn't it be better to show graduation rates broken down by ethnicity group's from every college and university system's in America? Folks love to throw around grad rates, but when you lump them all together you can hide the true data. For instance I would love to see the grad rates for whites, Hispanics, and Indian's from HBCU'S. Just like I would love to see the grad rates for black people from Alabama and Georgia.

Raw numbers remove all doubt. I keep telling people that we are only 13% of the population. How the hell can we be the worse of EVERYTHING...most cases of HIV, most cases of college dropouts, largest number without a college degree, black women the new face of HIV, highest number of those incarcerated, the list goes on and on....

For the folks who don't understand, basically for every 100 people we are represent 13....which is why I don't believe in ratios. Raw Data...pure empirical evidence.

They also need to change the way grad rates are calculated. If a student graduates from a school, he/she should be counted as a graduate of that school. Period. There should also be a way to track students who graduate from other schools after transferring from their initial school. That student should not count as a non-graduate from the first school.

Raw numbers remove all doubt. I keep telling people that we are only 13% of the population. How the hell can we be the worse of EVERYTHING...most cases of HIV, most cases of college dropouts, largest number without a college degree, black women the new face of HIV, highest number of those incarcerated, the list goes on and on....

For the folks who don't understand, basically for every 100 people we are represent 13....which is why I don't believe in ratios. Raw Data...pure empirical evidence.

Sho you right. I call using just percentages vs the total numbers skew statistics. The total numbers aren't telling the narrative they want to further...so they try to give a percentage of that race or this or that until they can have the narrative they want. THey also rarely tell the pool they obtained the stats from---they can interview 20 folks outside the liquor store and try to make it speak for the overwhelming population of AAs

I love how folks always throw out number's, but what they won't throw out is the true numbers. Deceptive measures make our people fall into traps so much.

Sho you right. I call using just percentages vs the total numbers skew statistics. The total numbers aren't telling the narrative they want to further...so they try to give a percentage of that race or this or that until they can have the narrative they want. THey also rarely tell the pool they obtained the stats from---they can interview 20 folks outside the liquor store and try to make it speak for the overwhelming population of AAs

The CDC is notorious for getting their information from public hospitals.

This may be the dumbest thing i've read today. That 100 to 13 difference is exactly why ratios would make more sense lol wtf. You want to look at an overall number when differentiating between races? It would be skewed every single time just off the strength... you know what nvm, yall too old to even be having to explain this to. It's basically like saying HIV isn't a problem for black folks because its only 1 percent of the overall HIV cases... but it's affecting 20% of black women vs it affecting 6% of white women. You can't see how that would be a problem? lol. The only thing raw numbers do in this situation is hide the things yall don't want to concede are a problem. Just come out and say it.

They also need to change the way grad rates are calculated. If a student graduates from a school, he/she should be counted as a graduate of that school. Period. There should also be a way to track students who graduate from other schools after transferring from their initial school. That student should not count as a non-graduate from the first school.
Federal law prevents this... We can't track.

Aren't graduation rates broken down by race in college navigator?
Every time there is a article on grad rates I've never seen it broken down by race. Even on most websites who host this info its always by the total for the school. Now I've seen it broken down to the percentage of women vs men who graduate.

I and probably most of my colleagues would agree with you... The unit record rule ain't budging though.
That's because they don't wanna show how larger PWCs aren't doing any better when it comes to minorities. They wanna keep getting that federally funded money.

This may be the dumbest thing i've read today. That 100 to 13 difference is exactly why ratios would make more sense lol wtf. You want to look at an overall number when differentiating between races? It would be skewed every single time just off the strength... you know what nvm, yall too old to even be having to explain this to. It's basically like saying HIV isn't a problem for black folks because its only 1 percent of the overall HIV cases... but it's affecting 20% of black women vs it affecting 6% of white women. You can't see how that would be a problem? lol. The only thing raw numbers do in this situation is hide the things yall don't want to concede are a problem. Just come out and say it.

Raw numbers show literally everything. The CDC uses ratios because they draw many of their conclusions from public medical centers. who goes to majority public health centers poor folks and minorities. This is the primary reason that HIV in Hemophiliacs was not tracked properly because they (CDC) received their information from public health facilities. Hemophiliacs receive private services because public hospitals were conducting the necessary research because of funding.

No one is saying that it is not a problem but don't make "the face of HIV" a black woman when it affects all races in which majority of the HIV infection rates are white because by default they are the majority. then they try this minority concept to further boost numbers.

It's a situation of making lillly white folk look like angels.

There is not need for percentages period. Just give the raw numbers. PERIOD.

Hold on hold on hold on.
. So you saying that blacks at SOME PWI graduate at about the same pace as blacks at HBCU,,, GO FIGURE. .......:rolleyes:;)

Back