Who has the tightest yards part 2

DAHILL

I had to respond to the last post made in the closed thread... now I havent been to PV, but heard only positive things about it... but the comments you made by AAMU make no sense... yes all of the buildings are the same color.... that is exactly what makes AAMU look like its own city.... UAH also has a beautiful campus in Huntsville, but all the different color brick buildings makes it look dull and boring to me. (thats personal preference)... AAMU has natual beauty is CITY not the country.... You cant name too many NICE campuses that are not located in the country or rural areas. Also buildings do not make a campus... even though MOST of AAMU's buildings are new and the older ones have been totally redone, AAMU's beauty comes from its natual settings. A campus in the hills. You can see the entire city from the top of Normals Hill. Lots of trees, nice landscaping, ducks, ponds, mountains... AAMU is a very beautiful place.

Nothing wrong with old buildings either. Amazing how on cable you got all these shows about home make-overs, renovations and such,, and you got all these historic preservation orgs and all the hype over saving the old buildings in the various downtowns "cockblocking" new development to save a historic building so on and so forth. THIS IS WHAT TUSKEGEE HAS BEEN DOING SINCE FOREVER!!! I mean, Thrasher Hall, The Band Cottage, Sage Hall, the old financial aid building, Tompkins hall, freaking old Olivia Davis Hall, James Hall, The Emorys(now renamed), the farm mech (just burned down), old Huntingdon Hall(long burned down), Carnige Hall, White Hall, the dang old gym, etc. Tuskegee has so many preserved and renovated buildings it ain't even funny. And now with the latest campus beautification project that mixed in new with the old, Tuskegee is an oasis in desert.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Is Tuskeegee's campus better than AAMU? I've been to Tuskeegee before and although it is nice, its not on the level of PV's. It does look better than any other SWAC school I've gone to though.

Another thing...Mississippi Valley and Texas Southern are two of the youngest schools in all of HBCU's. Why do their relatively 'new' campuses look the way they do?

From what I've seen personally, I would rank the SWAC like this:

1. PV- unrivalried by any HBCU except Hampton. Gets better every year.

2. Southern- Nicer than I thought it was. Seeing as how I visited grambling
before SU, the standard for HBCU's in Louisiana was set pretty low. I was pleasantly surprised.

3. Alabama St.- I've seen worse

4. Jackson- Can flip flop with TSU on any given day.

5. Texas Southern- about the only good things I can say about this campus is that the H&PE arena looks nice and that its close to Frenchy's.

6.Grambling- Last time I went there, it was just alot of dirt everywhere. They say they were doing some kind of campus facelift. The buildings were not nice and the dorms were downright nasty.

7. UAPB- IF this campus looked as good as the school's website they would be ranked over grambling atleast. Did nothing for me at all.

Storm96 said:
Is Tuskeegee's campus better than AAMU? I've been to Tuskeegee before and although it is nice, its not on the level of PV's. It.

honestly I have not been to TU since about 98 or 99, so I couldnt answer that... Its would still be hard to compare because schools like Tuskegee, Alcorn, PV are in their own lil community in the woods. AAMU is a 3 minute drive from downtown Huntsville on the same street. Same thing with Hampton... neither Hampton or AAMU are in the country.

also Tn State is up there also...

Storm96 said:
Is Tuskeegee's campus better than AAMU? I've been to Tuskeegee before and although it is nice, its not on the level of PV's. It does look better than any other SWAC school I've gone to though.

Interesting question. I've always liked AAMU's campus being from southeast Alabama where there are no hills (hell, one town east of here is called "Level Plains" for crying out loud.), but Tuskegee's campus is so "natural" for lack of a better term. I think this is comparing apples and oranges. From a modern/latest amenities standpoint (please note my reference is the 1980s and other than that just riding around on both campuses and seeing the outward appearance of the campuses since the 80s.) the state HBCUs in Alabama clearly prevail (although I don't know if that is necessarily "better". ASU has more modern buildings, but that campus is not appealing to the eye. AAMU is more appealing not being in a blighted area like ASU).

Tuskegee has added some new buildings and the on-campus apartment fad thing, but Tuskegee, being a national historic site, can't breath (i.e. can't just go build something new on campus) unless it is "ok'd" by the feds/national historic something-or-other blah, blah, and when we do it's usually a rennovation of an existing building that's designated historic. there has been a few new buildings like the hotel and the vet school and Chappy James but the focus at Tuskegee is always to rennovate/preserve as much as possible.

Tuskegee is a historic preservationist's paradise and it has probably maintained more of its original character, look/appeal more so than any other HBCUs (except for the other small private universities like Talladega, Stillman, Tougaloo etc) other than maybe Hampton. I think TU is an ideal small college town campus set in rolling terrain and lots of trees which are more prominent than the buildings on campus, AAMU is the best small metro campus nestled on a hill, very picturesque from a distance, but Tuskegee is like Boston (certain parts of downtown Boston still have all those old churches and buildings from the 1700s, Skegee still has some of the first buildings on campus built by students still in use. this i didn't appreciate while in school, but now i see the historical significance. i mean, you gotta be kidding me; going to class in the exact same building that Booker T. walked through? that is awesome.) where the focus is on history and preservation not so much new builds. I would add that the Chapel is a huge acception to the rule, but now seems to just fit in to the campus even though it looks like something out of a futuristic movie. this thing, built in the 60s(?) was WAAAY ahead of its time. what a masterpiece the Chapel,, oh my goodness.

I think Tuskegee is easily the most charming(you know, the whole ante-bellum/traditional deep south HBCU campus type thing) of the three while if you talk about ASU and AAMU, two state schools, I'd have to give the nod to AAMU. ASU, even as a kid i can remember going up there so much because syblings/parents went there (same with AAMU to a lesser extent, pops went there for grad school so we'd go up there every now and again to see Dr Dawson etc) is brutal. I went to NCA&T and I put A&T and ASU in the same category; functional urban campuses in marginal(A&T) to blighted(ASU) urban environments not appealing to the eye but with a good mix of modern and 40-90s vintage buildings like most colleges. AAMU is ASU but not in a blighted area with more natural surrounding beauty(hills in backdrop) and nice topography (on "the hill") more akin to a Tuskegee which is situated on a transitional mix of rolling black belt prairie land which is near the fall line/piedmont hills region.

The drawing of Alcorn gives a false impression of Alcorn's beauty. The buildings look they are from the 50's, 60's and/or early 70's. Again, PV's choice of brick looks better than the tan colored brick of Alcorn's buildings. Whereas, PV has many buildings from the 80's, 90 and 2000's.

pantherprowl the drawings that I posted are not buildings from the 50's or any other time. Those are rendering of new ones being built. Yes some the buildings are older but for the most part have been well kept. I don't think it has anything to do with how old they are but how they look for their age. But I can't compare campuses to PV because I have never stepped foot on your campus. Plus those tan color bricks you are referring to are only on 6 buildings. The administration, technology, whitney complex, finanical aid, women's and men's tower. Those were all built around the same time so that's the reason that they look that way.

I think each campus in their own way has something that has an edge over the other campuses.

I've seen TSU, Gram, Southern, Paul Quinn, Huston Tillotson, Xavier, and SUNO in person. From those colleges Southern and Xavier are a tie for first. Both have exceptional campuses. Southern is constantly making improvements. TSU has a few bright spots, but overall needs much improvement. SUNO is okay. Its a little less than expected, but seems about right for a branch campus. Now Gram, what a shame. For a school with such a successful football team and band one would think the school would use some of the revenue to make improvements to the campus. Come on now GSU; my grandmama would always say you may see nice lookin person walking down the street, but don't follow them home.

None of your campuses even compare to Hampton... :kiss:

Hampton is by the SEA and lush green!! :)

Once people come here they wish they were an alumni and can only dream what it would have been like to study on such a excellent yard. :read:

Good luck to your search but none of you even come close to the PIRATES campus!! :xeye:

demondmccombs said:
None of your campuses even compare to Hampton... :kiss:

Hampton is by the SEA and lush green!! :)

Once people come here they wish they were an alumni and can only dream what it would have been like to study on such a excellent yard. :read:

Good luck to your search but none of you even come close to the PIRATES campus!! :xeye:

This is an outright lie. I gave hampton props. I can't speak of any other swac school but PV has the best HBCU campus that I've seen in person. And like I said, Hampton is the only campus that could rival it.

I have not seen a HBCU campus that comes anywhere close to Hampton.... it is naturally beautiful

campus.jpg

a nice campus in the CITY surrounded by water

Hampton by far has the best Black College campus. The landscaping and modern buildings can't be touched, IMO. I'm not down with the whole "urban campus" thing so NCCU, JSU, A&T and Howard aren't really my favorites. Fayetteville State, AAMU, and PV has some of the best that I've seen. Southern has a straight campus but the dorms kind of throw everything off...some kind of resemble Grambling's.

...Carry On..

Tennessee State has a VERY NICE campus thats in the middle of an urban area. About 10 years ago they finished remodeling their ENTIRE campus (similiar to what Jackson State is going through now) and it is ENTIRELY different than it was just 15 years ago. My mom is TSU alumni and when she went back she didnt knkow what was what. They turned it into a closed campus. You cant drive to any classes. Everything that was a street was bricked up, with the fancy kind of bricks something like in the grounds of a park. The whole campus feels like you are in a huge park... and there isnt one rageddy building on campus (on the outside).....

Back