What Non-Greeks Can Do To Stop Hazing

Kendrick

Administrator
Staff member
Hazing, however, is a bigger deal than anything else. As long as we all know this violent hazing goes on, yet still treat these organizations as though they are elite and worthy of aspiration, we’re walking kids into the slaughter.

These organizations with these rigorous intake processes all carry great social gravity. In black America, fraternities and sororities are treated as an elite class. Their colors and letters mean something to most people.

Their members wear their affiliations proudly and see them as representing something larger and more noble than themselves.

Membership in Greek letter organizations is something black people aspire to as children. They don’t just decide to join an organization in college, in most cases. So many people dream of doing so from the moment they became aware of what a frat or sorority was.

But as long as we keep doing that, are we not kinda pushing kids into this system? And as long as people still want to be Greek so badly, will there be a true impetus for the abuse to stop?

People have been suing these organizations for years. Their coffers have been drained. They have been embarrassed publicly by hazing for decades. The stories now just go into a pile will all the rest. And still, people fight — and spend money — for the privilege of getting their asses kicked.

So when do we consider our role in making membership seem so cool that it’s worth going through all of that?

It should be a clear that nothing is worth being beaten. That point is unequivocal and inarguable. But if we all know that being beaten is a reasonable, if not likely, possibility of a Greek intake process, then how can anyone say that’s something one should want to enter?

I recognize not every process involves someone being sent to the hospital. I also know there are plenty of Greeks who would have walked out of some of the harsher processes. But everyone’s got to be honest: you can’t open the door for violence and expect it to stay under control. That might happen. One could say that would probably happen. But to expect it is silly. There are simply too many volatile factors at play for anyone to think order will be maintained.
The only way to stop people from being killed and injured is to completely eliminate the violence. That, also, is inarguable…unless you have so much faith in the responsibility of the 18-22 crowd. And the adults who still hang out with the 18-22 crowd. Can’t forget about them.

Will that happen? I find it unlikely.

Somewhere along the way, we have conveyed the message that pledging is worth all of that. Between the parents who almost brainwash their kids with their affiliations, the women so eager to sleep with them, and the dudes who want to be cool with them just to say they know somebody, we’ve created the impression that being in a frat means just that much in our society. If that weren’t the case, there’s no way so many people would have made it to the other side.

http://www.bomanijones.com/non-greeks-stop-hazing/

Hazing, however, is a bigger deal than anything else. As long as we all know this violent hazing goes on, yet still treat these organizations as though they are elite and worthy of aspiration, we’re walking kids into the slaughter.

These organizations with these rigorous intake processes all carry great social gravity. In black America, fraternities and sororities are treated as an elite class. Their colors and letters mean something to most people.

Their members wear their affiliations proudly and see them as representing something larger and more noble than themselves.

Membership in Greek letter organizations is something black people aspire to as children. They don’t just decide to join an organization in college, in most cases. So many people dream of doing so from the moment they became aware of what a frat or sorority was.

But as long as we keep doing that, are we not kinda pushing kids into this system? And as long as people still want to be Greek so badly, will there be a true impetus for the abuse to stop?

People have been suing these organizations for years. Their coffers have been drained. They have been embarrassed publicly by hazing for decades. The stories now just go into a pile will all the rest. And still, people fight — and spend money — for the privilege of getting their asses kicked.

So when do we consider our role in making membership seem so cool that it’s worth going through all of that?

It should be a clear that nothing is worth being beaten. That point is unequivocal and inarguable. But if we all know that being beaten is a reasonable, if not likely, possibility of a Greek intake process, then how can anyone say that’s something one should want to enter?

I recognize not every process involves someone being sent to the hospital. I also know there are plenty of Greeks who would have walked out of some of the harsher processes. But everyone’s got to be honest: you can’t open the door for violence and expect it to stay under control. That might happen. One could say that would probably happen. But to expect it is silly. There are simply too many volatile factors at play for anyone to think order will be maintained.
The only way to stop people from being killed and injured is to completely eliminate the violence. That, also, is inarguable…unless you have so much faith in the responsibility of the 18-22 crowd. And the adults who still hang out with the 18-22 crowd. Can’t forget about them.

Will that happen? I find it unlikely.

Somewhere along the way, we have conveyed the message that pledging is worth all of that. Between the parents who almost brainwash their kids with their affiliations, the women so eager to sleep with them, and the dudes who want to be cool with them just to say they know somebody, we’ve created the impression that being in a frat means just that much in our society. If that weren’t the case, there’s no way so many people would have made it to the other side.

http://www.bomanijones.com/non-greeks-stop-hazing/

I'm a member of a non hazing fraternity!

So called Divine nine and the bloods, crips, sisters of the struggle, gangsta disciples, vice lords, are all the same. :tup: Both claim to have a purpose in the community, both party and get high, both hurt the same people they claim to up lift.

I'm a member of a non hazing fraternity!

I second that...

But for real, I've said it for years the biggest reasons why hazing still exists is because you got old heads from the early 90's and back who keep putting in these newer cats ears about being made right so these cats are pressured into being real and respected. You get the right set of feeble minded cats running a chapter and here comes the lawsuits

I second that...

But for real, I've said it for years the biggest reasons why hazing still exists is because you got old heads from the early 90's and back who keep putting in these newer cats ears about being made right so these cats are pressured into being real and respected. You get the right set of feeble minded cats running a chapter and here comes the lawsuits

I couldn't agree more!

I second that...

Truth!

I'd like to add to your post by saying I think it (hazing) also exists is because all of us (the Divine Nine) have forgotten the mission and purpose of our creation and our Founders. We've forgotten that all nine of us were created during an era in the US where the need for change was so prevalent for Blacks. We've forgotten that we (the Divine Nine) were all created to promote self-improvement and to enhance the potential in our communities and brothers and sisters of the community. Although we each have different missions, the ultimate goal was the same, and somewhere down the line, we've forgotten that 'First of All' we are 'Servants of All'; we've forgotten to let 'Intelligence' be the 'Torch of Wisdom' in some of our achievements; we've forgotten to 'Uplift' our brothers and sisters; we've fogotten to how to serve 'Through service to Humanity'; and we no care about how 'Great Service' to others renders 'Great Progress' for all of us. Somewhere along the line, we've lost focus and 'Rest upon the Tradition' of hazing rather than 'Build a Tradition' of greatness.

I hate that a lot of folks see us as bullies and gangs, because I know that's not what our Founders were about, and because all Nine organizations do so very much for the communities in the US. But unfortunately, this ugly business of hazing (and deaths behind it) have over-shadowed all the hard work and dedication our Founders worked for. We all come from greatness; between the time-line of 1906 to 1963, there was little or no Black representation for us, no one striving to see us advance and excel and reach our fullest potential. 1906 to 1963 were perilous times in US history, for Blacks and whites alike, yet our Founders did not let the times deter them. They saw a need for change, and dared to bring about that change and not let the times stop them. And even still, after 2 World Wars, Women's Rights movement, a Great Depression, Civil Rights movement, Vietnam War, and 18 US Presidents later, we are still standing. This is one of the things that I think makes the Divine Nine so wonderful and it's one thing I love about being a Sigma Gamma Rho.

If we take a long look back over the years, and take in the strides in advancement made, and demand that our organizations continue to live up to our Founders' purpose, maybe we can get the hazing to stop. None of our Founders would be pleased by all this mess that's going on today......none of them!

Last edited:
The GD's, Bloods, Crips, Vice Lords, Latin Kings and other gangs started off as service organizations.............. Jeff Ford went before Congress didn't he?

The GD's, Bloods, Crips, Vice Lords, Latin Kings and other gangs started off as service organizations.............. Jeff Ford went before Congress didn't he?

I really don't know.....maybe so.......could be......but I didn't know that......never heard that before.

Truth!

I'd like to add to your post by saying I think it (hazing) also exists is because all of us (the Divine Nine) have forgotten the mission and purpose of our creation and our Founders. We've forgotten that all nine of us were created during an era in the US where the need for change was so prevalent for Blacks. We've forgotten that we (the Divine Nine) were all created to promote self-improvement and to enhance the potential in our communities and brothers and sisters of the community. Although we each have different missions, the ultimate goal was the same, and somewhere down the line, we've forgotten that 'First of All' we are 'Servants of All'; we've forgotten to let 'Intelligence' be the 'Torch of Wisdom' in some of our achievements; we've forgotten to 'Uplift' our brothers and sisters; we've fogotten to how to serve 'Through service to Humanity'; and we no care about how 'Great Service' to others renders 'Great Progress' for all of us. Somewhere along the line, we've lost focus and 'Rest upon the Tradition' of hazing rather than 'Build a Tradition' of greatness.

I hate that a lot of folks see us as bullies and gangs, because I know that's not what our Founders were about, and because all Nine organizations do so very much for the communities in the US. But unfortunately, this ugly business of hazing (and deaths behind it) have over-shadowed all the hard work and dedication our Founders worked for. We all come from greatness; between the time-line of 1906 to 1963, there was little or no Black representation for us, no one striving to see us advance and excel and reach our fullest potential. 1906 to 1963 were perilous times in US history, for Blacks and whites alike, yet our Founders did not let the times deter them. They saw a need for change, and dared to bring about that change and not let the times stop them. And even still, after 2 World Wars, Women's Rights movement, a Great Depression, Civil Rights movement, Vietnam War, and 18 US Presidents later, we are still standing. This is one of the things that I think makes the Divine Nine so wonderful and it's one thing I love about being a Sigma Gamma Rho.

If we take a long look back over the years, and take in the strides in advancement made, and demand that our organizations continue to live up to our Founders' purpose, maybe we can get the hazing to stop. None of our Founders would be pleased by all this mess that's going on today......none of them!

Is that true?

Let me ask you this, when did pledge clubs start? Sphinx Club, Scroller's Club, Ivy Leaf Club, ... Aurora Club ... :uhoh: Crescent Club, and so forth? Were the Founders around then? Did anything that we would consider "hazing" today occur? If so, how did the Founders respond to it?

Don't answer that in this public forum. :lol:

And, something else to think about: How were new members brought into the organizations before the existence of pledge clubs?

Consider this ... could the problem be a blurring of the line between pledging and hazing? Misunderstanding the purpose of pledging and how it should be conducted. Moreso than considering any activity involved in bringing in new members to be "hazing".

Just throwing out stuff. No response is necessary.

What's interesting to me about the article is the assumption that non-greeks CAN do something to stop hazing. Interesting idea.

Who do you consider as "NON GREEK"?

The question should have been "Non Pan Hellenic", there are plenty of Greek Lettered organizations out there.

The question should have been "Non Pan Hellenic", there are plenty of Greek Lettered organizations out there.

I assume he meant people who weren't in a fraternity and sorority at all.

Although it's true that some NPHC folks don't consider other organizations to be Greek. Like snickering at ΚΚΨ folks for calling each other "frat" ....

I assume he meant people who weren't in a fraternity and sorority at all.

Although it's true that some NPHC folks don't consider other organizations to be Greek. Like snickering at ΚΚΨ folks for calling each other "frat" ....

Why stop at NON GREEK? Their are other campus organizations that haze or did haze. Look at all you band folks talking about "crabbing" that's hazing.
And even within the band, each section had their own form of hazing. ROTC had certain "elite" groups that did their own form of hazing, the Pershing Rifles comes to mind.

So there is enough hazing to go all around the campus. And some of it goes back to ole heads, and some of it is crossover members from other organizations.

The possible ways to end hazing are:
a) end all organizations, [this will never happen, some of the organizations do provide services to the communities and do help out in other ways] Not to mention the fact that
these organizations Greek or other provides a form of camaraderie and experience that you will not find anywhere else, at least legally!!!

b) suspend pledging, [this will never happen, the organizations would fail, and go back and read bullet a)]

c) pledges need to stand together especially when they sign anti-hazing statements [this will never happen, because there is always one or more hold outs who want to be
"brought through the right way"]

d) reset all the organizations and begin a "Year Zero" campaign, where each organization has no influence from the previous members and the pledges are treated by
Nationals as they are the first line. [this will never happen, because there would be an outcry from the majority of current members and would not garner any real support,
not to mentions the fact that hazers are like a heart attack waiting to happen, just biding their time waiting for the right conditions before they strike.

e) suspension of the alleged hazer and after investigation if they are found guilty, then expulsion from school and if they are no longer a student, graduate, transfer, or
dropout, then an arrest is necessary under an assault and battery charge. [ this sounds more like what some universities and organizations are doing, but it still doesn't
deter hazing.

All my bullet points have actually been done to some degree and hazing is still around so there is no real way to rid ourselves of hazing. The bottom line, until these organizations go bankrupt, hazing will always find it's way onto campuses across America.

Back