What could have been. bianca jackson (daughter of Lew & Freda) commits to...

I can understand a child not wanting to play for their parent. I can understand a child wanting to play for their parent (Allan Houston at Tennessee).

Understand this. Most of the top Black athletes have not been choosing HBCUs for the last 40+ years. Many of the others outside of the top 200-300 have chosen the smaller PWCs.

It would be great if we make it to where some more of the higher rated athletes choose HBCUs, but it will take a lot of work, a lot of work.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
A...someone has to make a public statement such as the black lives matter, etc...what you got to do is insert political statements and damn near name call....but with the way money exchanges hands and bought off black athletes they're scared to attack the problem until years after their done playing about being "used"

B...some are scared to transfer to HBCUs or can't as the P5 work with the Jacksonville State's etc. to funnel them athletes who could make a difference. There is a reason Southern can't get the legit LSU transfer anymore. When they did the results were there and people came to games. Jackson State used to get them and people came.

well, that explains a lot right there.

Please explain.

Sustainability is what I'm talking about. You can have all those famous athletes, but if you keep the same visionless leaders on campus, it will be all for nothing as it will only bring temporary success.

Please explain.

Sustainability is what I'm talking about. You can have all those famous athletes, but if you keep the same visionless leaders on campus, it will be all for nothing as it will only bring temporary success.

OK. Its called a joke. Good-natured ribbing. Poking fun. A light-hearted jab.

Now as for the second part. We agree totally and I think that you'd agree that hiring the first white head coach in the swac took guts and vision and it worked out well. Had the admin done what they were supposed to do decades ago alcorn could have used that as a stepping stone not just to swac dominance but to national viability as a fcs power.

It has taken a while for our schools to connect the dots between successful athletic programs and increased enrollment and increased funding. We, for the most part, felt academics alone was the key. Athletic success can provide stability for the university across the board.

Reactions: JR
Let me see...Brent at jsu...Banks at su.......back in the day Pistol helped his old man put lsu on the basketball map. If she is as good as she is suppose to be she could have put Freda in a position to move 'up'.
Herb are you saying like "move up to somewhere like South Carolina?"

A...someone has to make a public statement such as the black lives matter, etc...what you got to do is insert political statements and damn near name call....but with the way money exchanges hands and bought off black athletes they're scared to attack the problem until years after their done playing about being "used"

B...some are scared to transfer to HBCUs or can't as the P5 work with the Jacksonville State's etc. to funnel them athletes who could make a difference. There is a reason Southern can't get the legit LSU transfer anymore. When they did the results were there and people came to games. Jackson State used to get them and people came.

This is what confuses me though. Outside of a few rare Grambling or FAMU games, the vast majority of these teams (the Jacksonville State's) still used to dominate HBCU football even when they did get those players. I mean with the way people are talking you would think that schools like JSU wouldn't be winless in the playoffs. No knock on JSU either but still, I mean it was never a situation where they just used to rake in all of the old 5 stars while the others got scraps anyways.

This is what confuses me though. Outside of a few rare Grambling or FAMU games, the vast majority of these teams (the Jacksonville State's) still used to dominate HBCU football even when they did get those players. I mean with the way people are talking you would think that schools like JSU wouldn't be winless in the playoffs. No knock on JSU either but still, I mean it was never a situation where they just used to rake in all of the old 5 stars while the others got scraps anyways.
unknown,
I understand your point, but back when HBCU football was getting the top players, we weren't regularly playing "the Jacksonville State's" of the world. It was largely segregated then.
The playoffs that you mention didn't start until 1978.

Back