What could have been. bianca jackson (daughter of Lew & Freda) commits to...

Damn that's interesting.

Wait didn't Alabama State's former QB play for Arkansas then transferred back to play for his dad and then drafted by Seattle?

Maybe she doesn't want to play for her Mom. Some kids just don't want that pressure. Freda may not want her to feel like SHE is the chosen one or get special treatment. You always hear from coaches how difficult it can be at times coaching their kid at the college level. I would not put too much stock into it. She may want to go play for Dawn Staley. You can't force your kid to go to the school you went to. It don't work like that. Especially if they EARN a free ride somewhere. You can only expose them to our schools and let them choose if they have worked hard to get a free ride somewhere. That's all you can do.

Alonzo Highsmith is from my era. He was already finished at U of Miami and playing for the then Houston Oilers before his Daddy took over TxSU football. If anything FAMU where his Dad went should have felt some kind of way that Walter who was their alum and DC at the time did not get his kid over to FAMU. LOL.

Wasn't Highsmith's son at Miami?

He was playing in the NFL for the Oilers and gone from the Hurricanes when his Dad got to TxSU. Remember Highsmith was part of that crew that played with Michael Irvin and company at Miami. Those cats are my age. So Alonzo came out of HS around 83 or 84 time frame.

He was playing in the NFL for the Oilers and gone from the Hurricanes when his Dad got to TxSU. Remember Highsmith was part of that crew that played with Michael Irvin and company at Miami. Those cats are my age. So Alonzo came out of HS around 83 or 84 time frame.

I may have been thing of his grandson....

Maybe she doesn't want to play for her Mom. Some kids just don't want that pressure. Freda may not want her to feel like SHE is the chosen one or get special treatment. You always hear from coaches how difficult it can be at times coaching their kid at the college level. I would not put too much stock into it. She may want to go play for Dawn Staley. You can't force your kid to go to the school you went to. It don't work like that. Especially if they EARN a free ride somewhere. You can only expose them to our schools and let them choose if they have worked hard to get a free ride somewhere. That's all you can do.
o_O ... SMH

Tubby Smith had no issue coaching his son....oh snap, Tubby was not at an HBCU.

Man, some of you will make excuses why water is wet.

Last edited:
o_O ... SMH

Tubby Smith had no issue coaching his son....oh snap, Tubby was not at an HBCU.

Man, some of you will make excuses why water is wet.

She ain't Tubby's son is she? Again can you force your kid to come where you coach? Maybe Freda didn't want the pressure of coaching her daughter. It's no excuse. But yall act like every kid has to follow in their parents footsteps. Maybe Freda don't think she is going to be there much longer. We don't know the story. We just assume somebody sold out because she didn't follow Mommy and Daddy footsteps to Bama State. At least she will be playing for a SISTER. Albeit it is a PWC.

Also I wonder if Tubby son would have played for him if he coached at Tulsa (PWC) instead of Kentucky. Some folks were mad at Tubby saying his son wasn't really good enough to be at Kentucky.

Just like Avery has his son at Alabama playing ball

Last edited:

Nah hold up now Herb. I could have sworn the coach gave an interview around xmas time speaking about his hurricane son's upcoming game. Hmmmmmm....

That 89/90/91 timeframe, right?

Nah P. Alonzo Highsmith is an 83 HS grad. The Oilers drafted him from the Hurricanes in 87. Walter was still FAMU's DC during his son time at Miami. When Walter took the TxSU job in 89 his son was already in Houston alright. But as a member of them Houston Oilers. LOL. Now maybe there was some other son still out there somewhere but not Alonzo.

Alonzo son that went to HS in Ft Bend Hightower ended up at Arkansas as a LB and he has bounced around a couple of teams in the NFL and he has another son that went to Hightower named AJ that played at Miami. AJ is working for the Niners in some capacity now. Ole Alonzo is working for the Packers.

She ain't Tubby's son is she? Again can you force your kid to come where you coach? Maybe Freda didn't want the pressure of coaching her daughter. It's no excuse. But yall act like every kid has to follow in their parents footsteps. Maybe Freda don't think she is going to be there much longer. We don't know the story. We just assume somebody sold out because she didn't follow Mommy and Daddy footsteps to Bama State. At least she will be playing for a SISTER. Albeit it is a PWC.

Also I wonder if Tubby son would have played for him if he coached at Tulsa (PWC) instead of Kentucky. Some folks were mad at Tubby saying his son wasn't really good enough to be at Kentucky.

Just like Avery has his son at Alabama playing ball
Let me see...Brent at jsu...Banks at su.......back in the day Pistol helped his old man put lsu on the basketball map. If she is as good as she is suppose to be she could have put Freda in a position to move 'up'.

Let me see...Brent at jsu...Banks at su.......back in the day Pistol helped his old man put lsu on the basketball map. If she is as good as she is.

Freda is already on the map though. Not like she has not been a winning coach. Now the daughter is a guard it looks like that is rated as a 4 star player. Maybe Freda feels like she got enough guards. Who knows. Maybe something is going on at Bama State that they don't want her caught up in. We don't know.

Now Banks was able to convince his son to come to SU over the mid majors that was looking at him. You will see him one last time against your Tigers this upcoming season. As for Pistol going to help his Daddy. I don't think basketball was recruited as hard Nationally back then, especially coming from the South like it is these days. LOL.

Look at Les Miles 3 star son. He didn't choose to go play at LSU. He is committed to Nebraska I believe. The older boy is already at UNC. LOL.

Last edited:
Never was going to bama state unfortunately

However, it's odd the pwc coaches can get their kids to play for them but hbcu kids at a high level go elsewhere when they could be the difference maker

Not many have been stars though TBF. Tubby caught hell for them boys playing for him at Kentucky. Neither Capel kid played for their Daddy at the PWC he was coaching. Because Duke and UNC wanted them. LOL. So it depends on WHERE Daddy coaching. LOL. Some of those kids just don't be that great. The great ones usually get their Dads hired to a staff of the school they want to go to. Like Danny Manning leaving the state of NC to go to Kansas. But Kansas hired his Pops to the staff. You know the deal. Maybe Dawn Staley going to hire Freda to her staff after this season. Hmmmmmm. How much time she got in the Bama system?

Freda is already on the map though. Not like she has not been a winning coach. Now the daughter is a guard it looks like that is rated as a 4 star player. Maybe Freda feels like she got enough guards. Who knows. Maybe something is going on at Bama State that they don't want her caught up in. We don't know.

Now Banks was able to convince his son to come to SU over the mid majors that was looking at him. You will see him one last time against your Tigers this upcoming season. As for Pistol going to help his Daddy. I don't think basketball was recruited as hard Nationally back then, especially coming from the South like it is these days. LOL.

Look at Les Miles 3 star son. He didn't choose to go play at LSU. He is committed to Nebraska I believe. The older boy is already at UNC. LOL.
Daddy doesn't need their help.....but water is wet...wanna know why?

Daddy doesn't need their help.....but water is wet...wanna know why?

Shid..... Les needed that older boy since he plays Qb. LOL. Guess he didn't want to play in that ole conservative system. LOL..

I know where you trying to go with this. But Freda is secure at Bama State. She aint going to get fired. Hell she got more job security than Les Miles does at LSU. Them necks ready to fire his ass for lack of QB and offensive production with all that talent. Freda has made a good salary at Bama State and so has her husband. Now what you may want to ask if Dawn promised Freda something in exchange for her daughter coming to SC. If Freda leaves for SC as an assistant after this year then you will know Daughter indeed helped Mama. Like I said, we don't know the dynamics. Hell we don't know how really good the daughter is.

I am not mad that Avery Jr is with his Dad at Alabama instead of being at SU. From what I saw, he was an average player. Most super star kids that are coaches sons really go where they want to. Unless Daddy has a high profile job. If they are average to below average you see them try to tag along with Daddy. If that girl was a 1or 2 star kid, she might have committed to Bama State with Freda. Like I said, the young lady is a Sr in HS right now. Meaning she graduates after Freda's season is over at Bama State. If all of the sudden you see AN opening on Staley's staff that Freda gets offered. Then you know what the dealio is. If not, then maybe the young lady just said NO to Mama.

Shid..... Les needed that older boy since he plays Qb. LOL. Guess he didn't want to play in that ole conservative system. LOL..

I know where you trying to go with this. But Freda is secure at Bama State. She aint going to get fired. Hell she got more job security than Les Miles does at LSU. Them necks ready to fire his ass for lack of QB and offensive production with all that talent. Freda has made a good salary at Bama State and so has her husband. Now what you may want to ask if Dawn promised Freda something in exchange for her daughter coming to SC. If Freda leaves for SC as an assistant after this year then you will know Daughter indeed helped Mama. Like I said, we don't know the dynamics. Hell we don't know how really good the daughter is.

I am not mad that Avery Jr is with his Dad at Alabama instead of being at SU. From what I saw, he was an average player. Most super star kids that are coaches sons really go where they want to. Unless Daddy has a high profile job. If they are average to below average you see them try to tag along with Daddy. If that girl was a 1or 2 star kid, she might have committed to Bama State with Freda. Like I said, the young lady is a Sr in HS right now. Meaning she graduates after Freda's season is over at Bama State. If all of the sudden you see AN opening on Staley's staff that Freda gets offered. Then you know what the dealio is. If not, then maybe the young lady just said NO to Mama.
I was not hinting that Freda may get fired for not winning. Hey, if they are happy I am tickled pink.

We will probably have the same situation shortly.

Kind of no-brainer. Play for a team that has been ranked No.1 the past 2 seasons and is close to making it to the Final Four, or go play for a mid-major school that will automatically get a 14-16 seed and get sent home on opening night.

So true, I let my son decide on his own where he wanted to go. There was only one school I would have told him to go to if they offered and if that coach didn't leave he may have got that offer. That school had more upside than anything else and was one of the best educations he could have received. We visited other schools and he made his decision and it was his to come to PV.

Back