US OPEN 2015

Olde Hornet

The US Open starts on 8/31 with the big stories for this year's fortnight:

1. Serena going for the "Grand Slam" - All 4 majors in a calendar year. Serena for the second time holds all 4, but not in the Calendar year.

2. Serena trying to tie Stephanie Graf's record for number of Majors won.

3. Roger Federer - attempt to win another Major. He had a really good tourney in a lead up at Cincinnati.

4. Novak Djokovic - will he be able to hold 3 out of the 4 majors this year

Tough road between Serena Williams and U.S. Open final

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...d-face-sharapova--us-open-semifinal/32478443/

To win the U.S. Open, Serena Williams will have to beat seemingly every other American challenger in the field. It is, after all, the U.S. Open.

The world No. 1 has a potential path that includes almost every female American tennis player of note:Sloane Stephens or CoCo Vandeweghe in the third round; Madison Keys in the fourth round; and sister Venus in the quarterfinals.

Serena Williams, chasing the calendar Grand Slam which hasn't been done in tennis since Steffi Graf won all four in 1988, was handed one of her toughest roads at a Slam in Thursday's draw. After a first-round encounter with world No. 86 Russian Vitalia Diatchenko, things only get harder, including a potential second-round opponent in hard-hitting Mirjana Lucic-Baroni.

Djokovic, Federer ones to watch, but don't forget Nadal

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...jokovic-could-meet-quarters-us-open/71277080/

NEW YORK — After sinking to the No. 8 seed,Rafael Nadal is a looming bull in the men’s field at the U.S. Open this year. His drawn quarterfinal opponent: Top seed Novak Djokovic.

That potential match-up was the biggest headline from the men’s draw, made Thursday at the USTA National Tennis Center ahead of the start of play Monday. Roger Federer, the No. 2 seed, anchors the bottom half opposite Djokovic.

No. 3 seed Andy Murray is Federer’s anticipated semifinal opponent, but Murray’s very first match had the Twitter-sphere buzzing, as he is set to meet the controversial Nick Kyrgios, the 20-year-old Australian who has made waves with his game — and his divisive on-court image.

Good article on Serena

The Meaning of Serena Williams

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/30/magazine/the-meaning-of-serena-williams.html

There is no more exuberant winner than Serena Williams. She leaps into the air, she laughs, she grins, she pumps her fist, she points her index finger to the sky, signaling she’s No. 1. Her joy is palpable. It brings me to my feet, and I grin right back at her, as if I’ve won something, too. Perhaps I have.

There is a belief among some African-Americans that to defeat racism, they have to work harder, be smarter, be better. Only after they give 150 percent will white Americans recognize black excellence for what it is. But of course, once recognized, black excellence is then supposed to perform with good manners and forgiveness in the face of any racist slights or attacks. Black excellence is not supposed to be emotional as it pulls itself together to win after questionable calls. And in winning, it’s not supposed to swagger, to leap and pump its fist, to state boldly, in the words of Kanye West, ‘‘That’s what it is, black excellence, baby.’’

Most are picking Roger and Serena to win. Its going to be tough for the old guard, but it will be an interesting fort night.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-raonic-nick-kyrgios-upsets-us-open/71400480/

Last year's U.S. Open final was the second this century to feature two finalists ranked No. 10 or below. Here are seven lower-ranked players to keep an eye on in New York:

Milos Raonic

Singles titles: 6

Turned pro: 2008

Raonic has long been tabbed as a potential usurper whenever Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Andy Murray and Rafael Nadal begin to give up their hold on men's tennis.

With Nadal barely holding onto his spot in the top 10 and Federer looking more beatable, Raonic, 24, is in the eclectic mix of top players who could take the men's championship at the U.S. Open.

On the taller side (6-5) with a cannon of a serve, Raonic has racked up one win against Federer and Nadal with three against Murray in the past few years. His best weapon is his serve — he makes up for a lot of unforced errors with aces — but on paper he also keeps up with just about every player in the top 10 across the board.

Upsets - Day 1
Men
Paire beat No. 4 Nishikori

Women
Dominika Cibulkova beats No. 7 seed Ana Ivanovic
A.Tatishvili (USA) beat No 8 Ka.Pliskova (CZE)
Kristina Mladenovic (FRA) beat No. 30 Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) [30]
Denisa Allertova beats No 10. Carla Suarez Navarro (ESP)Oceane Dodin (FRA) beat No 21 Jelena Jankovic (SRB) [21]

Last edited:
Serena won, but it was not a real match, her opponent was injured and could not really move. She gave up in the second set.

Day 2

Roger won with ease

Upsets
Men -
D.Young (USA) beat G.Simon (FRA) [11] - Donald came back from two sets down, I think this was the first time in his history that he has done so.

Women
P.Cetkovska (CZE) beat C.McHale (USA)
O.Govortsova (BLR) beat I.Begu (ROU) [28]

Day 2

Roger won with ease

Upsets
Men -
D.Young (USA) beat G.Simon (FRA) [11] - Donald came back from two sets down, I think this was the first time in his history that he has done so.

Women
P.Cetkovska (CZE) beat C.McHale (USA)
O.Govortsova (BLR) beat I.Begu (ROU) [28]

Glad to hear that Donald Young is playing good. Hope he can keep it up. I have not been watching much tennis yet. I am still pissed off at the United States track team (World Championships).

Wow, 1st set went to tie breaker, but Serena pulled it out (7-6) I see. Looks like 1-1 in 2nd set. Hopefully, she is on track now.

Why in women's tennis you see so many 6 love 6-1 matches. It's like once the other player gets momentum it's over. Men's matches be going the entire 5 matches...

Men play 3 out 5 at the majors, women play 2 out off 3.

Not as many 5 setters as you think, especially in the first week of a major.

Majors have a lot more lower seeded players, covers 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Correction - one upset Dimitrov lost.

He has been a mess and it started a little before the breakup with Maria S.

Back