University of Alabama elected first Black SGA president in almost 40 years.

DAHILL

17227934-mmmain.jpg

full article at
http://www.al.com/news/tuscaloosa/index.ssf/2015/03/university_of_alabama_elects_f.html

The University of Alabama Tuesday elected their first black Student Government Association president in almost four decades.

Elliot Spillers, a junior from Pelham, is also considered to be the first non-Machine candidate to win the election since John Merrill (now Alabama's Secretary of State) won in 1986.

This will be Spillers' first elected position within the SGA, where he has served appointed positions, most recently as deputy director of engagement.

He is studying business management with a political science minor, and is a member of the Honors College.

Spillers said he was "shocked and thankful" after receiving the election results.

"This is my third time at this, and each time I've grown tremendously as a leader and a person," Spillers said when reached by phone Tuesday evening. "I've never lost hope, hope for this university and what we'll accomplish in the next year. The real work begins tomorrow. To all the students who voted for me, thank you. It's because of you we have the opportunity to bring sustainable change here to Alabama."

Props to that young brother.

I hope he has the thick enough skin to deal with the rest of SGA because they are cutthroat

Add me to those who are surprised that they have a Black SGA president 40 years ago. Then again Texas A&M had one during the '70s, and it has a more conservative student body than just about any other school in the country.

Back