UND To Move All Athletic Programs To Division I

Jafus (Thinker)

http://www.und.edu/news/NEW_SCRIPTS/newsrelease.jsp?id=1833

NOTE: Audiocast will be available after 5 p.m. at http://www.und.edu/audio/division1

The University of North Dakota will begin the process to move the rest of its athletic programs to Division I, UND President Charles Kupchella announced today [Wednesday, June 21]. Nationally recognized for its successful athletic programs, UND currently competes in Division I Men’s and Women’s Hockey and in Division II in 18 other sports.

The decision comes after a five-month, comprehensive review by the University’s NCAA Classification Task Force, which gave its final report to Kupchella at the end of May.

“After studying the report and subsequent conversations and review of the plan with a wide spectrum of stakeholders, I have concluded that it is now in the best interest of the University to begin the process to move our entire athletic program to Division I. Beginning with 2007-2008, we will engage in an official NCAA ‘exploratory’ year. We will use this coming year, 2006-07, to develop a business plan and to begin building a financial foundation to support the move - both necessary to enhance the support base among all UND stakeholders,” said Kupchella. ...

Jafus (Thinker) said:

http://www.und.edu/news/NEW_SCRIPTS/newsrelease.jsp?id=1833

NOTE: Audiocast will be available after 5 p.m. at http://www.und.edu/audio/division1

The University of North Dakota will begin the process to move the rest of its athletic programs to Division I, UND President Charles Kupchella announced today [Wednesday, June 21]. Nationally recognized for its successful athletic programs, UND currently competes in Division I Men?s and Women?s Hockey and in Division II in 18 other sports.

The decision comes after a five-month, comprehensive review by the University?s NCAA Classification Task Force, which gave its final report to Kupchella at the end of May.

?After studying the report and subsequent conversations and review of the plan with a wide spectrum of stakeholders, I have concluded that it is now in the best interest of the University to begin the process to move our entire athletic program to Division I. Beginning with 2007-2008, we will engage in an official NCAA ?exploratory? year. We will use this coming year, 2006-07, to develop a business plan and to begin building a financial foundation to support the move - both necessary to enhance the support base among all UND stakeholders,? said Kupchella. ...

Why in the world is Georgia Southern not moving to Div I-A or are they moving? I just can't believe Georgia Southern is going to stay Div I-A forever. They should have made the move with/before Troy University.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I don't see why this is news we'd necessarily be concerned about? UND is jumping from Division II to Division I in 18 sports. They aren't jumping to Div I-A in football, they're going I-AA.... So they aren't 'jumping over' or 'bypassing' anybody.....

And as far as I'm concerned, why would GaSouthern move to Div I-A? They'd be competing head-to-head 'recruiting-wise' with UGA, GaTech, Auburn, SoCarolina, UCF, Clemson, and other Div I-A schools in their proximity.... They fare better staying where they are...

Why get out of a little pond, just to drown in a bigger one????

So would/is/did South Florida, Florida Atlanta, UCF, Marshall, UAB, Troy and all them directional schools in Louisiana. Georgia Southern would fair just as well if not better than any of those schools at Div I-A. Must be an "AUM-Auburn" type situation where Georgia Southern is part of the UGA system and UGA (or heavily UGA/GaTech controlled factions in Georgia) controls their destiny. Can't see that logic working at Georgia Southern. Too much winning tradition there (like Marshall), i would think, for them not to make a move being worried about who they would have to compete with in recruiting. I mean for pete-sake Troy University didn't think one micron about having to recruit in-state against Alabama, Auburn (and UAB) and FSU right down the road and Southern MS, and the rest of the SEC and not to mention the SWAC and they have stayed afloat so far with some descent wins over Div I-A opponents.

Oh, i thought UND was going to Div I-A in football. My bad.

Bartram said:
So would/is/did South Florida, Florida Atlanta, UCF, Marshall, UAB, Troy and all them directional schools in Louisiana. Georgia Southern would fair just as well if not better than any of those schools at Div I-A...
In 2003 Sun Belt teams lost an average of $383K on football even with their I-A payout. Where's Georgia Southern going?

Back