UCLA just signed a $280 million shoe and apparel deal, the biggest in NCAA history

Kenn Rashad

Person In Charge
Staff member
Jumping into the new arms race in college sports – schools battling formassivesponsorships –UCLAhas landed what is believed to be the biggest shoe and apparel deal in NCAAhistory.

The 15-year, $280-million contract withUnder Armourwas scheduled to be announced at noon Tuesday, university officials told the Los Angeles Times.

The marketplace has exploded in recent months as Michigan, Texas and Ohio State have signed lucrative agreements with Nike. UCLA entered the picture with its Adidas contract set to expire next year.

“We knew that we were well-positioned to cut a deal,” said Dan Guerrero, the UCLA athletic director. “Under Armour came at us hard.”

The upstart Baltimore company was looking to add a major West Coast program to a stable that includes Notre Dame, Auburn and Wisconsin.

“This deal was about geography,” said Kevin Plank, who founded Under Armour in 1996. “It was important for us to plant our flag in L.A.”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-0525-ucla-under-armour-20160525-snap-story.html

Nice!

I guess UA got tired of waiting on us stuck in our conference deal and moved on to UCLA. :(

Not that I am trying to flip the script on this discussion, but I'd like to know: Do any of you know how your school's president voted on staying with Russell? Using common logic that more presidents voted to say with Russell than didn't, does anyone know their reason for wanting to stay?

Back